GDT: Sabres @ Devils - April 11, 2023, 7pm, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Quint said:

I was watching Girgensons with the golden opportunity to score in the final minutes, and then transposed Rousek or Savoie or Kulich in his place. If the Sabres can get four scoring lines, we're going places. 

It's one of the reasons I didn't want 28 out there in the third other than to give rest to other forwards.  He's a great heavy forward.  He's great at opening space.  He has hands of stone.  I do think there's a place for him next season though.

Well, I'm happy overall with  their effort the last several games. It was a good run at the end. Just played several tough teams in a row with a college goalie. Cant really complain about the results. They just ran out of gas. 

At least we finally have our goaltending taken care of for next year. Now KA needs to go out and get some competent players to fill in some of the wholes in the bottom half of our defense and upgrade Okpposo and Girgs.

• Like (+1) 1

The frustrating part is, those two big swoons, 0-8, and 2-8-2...if they had just gone, say, 9-9-2 instead of 2-16-2, they're 47-26-7 and comfortably in the playoffs. Unfortunately, with a young team like this, those kinds of bad runs are destined to happen. 

Another year of experience, including actually participating in a playoff race and Devon Levi in net next year in all likelihood puts us closer to...or better than that 101 point mark.

Edited by HumanSlinky39

7 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

Well, I'm happy overall with  their effort the last several games. It was a good run at the end. Just played several tough teams in a row with a college goalie. Cant really complain about the results. They just ran out of gas. 

At least we finally have our goaltending taken care of for next year. Now KA needs to go out and get some competent players to fill in some of the wholes in the bottom half of our defense and upgrade Okpposo and Girgs.

They have 1/2 of the goaltending set for next year.  They still need to pair Levi with somebody that gives the team a chance to win any given night.  Sign Varlamov and then fix the D.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

The frustrating part is, those two big swoons, 0-8, and 2-8-2...if they had just gone, say, 9-9-2 instead of 2-16-2, they're 47-26-7 and comfortably in the playoffs. Unfortunately, with a young team like this, those kinds of bad runs are destined to happen. 

Another year of experience and Devon Levi in net next year in all likelihood puts us closer to...or better than that 101 point mark.

Thing is, all of the teams that were in the mix with the Sabres had streaks like those 2 that doomed the Sabres.  That's why they were where they are.

Personally was more frustrated with their efforts and results in the Anderson games against bad teams from January through March.  0-4-1 in those.  Make those 3-1-1 or even 2-2-1 and they make the playoffs.

Hoping they have a team goal next year of never losing 3 in a row overall nor 2 in a row in regulation at home.  If they can keep from building up those long losing skids, they'll be in the playoffs next year.

Really expect Adams goal is doing damage in the playoffs next year.  After 12 years, will be happy with being there.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really expect Adams goal is doing damage in the playoffs next year.  After 12 years, will be happy with being there.

I won't be.  This was the year I would have been happy with just "being there."  This was the Tyrod Taylor playoffs for me.

Next year, I want to see "damage," as you say.

1 minute ago, CTJoe said:

Not that it matters but now Anderson can probably have his going away party:

OTT:  Anderson

CLB:  Levi or UPL

Yep.  And if Levi needs rest on Friday after the back-to-back, I'm ok with it.  (And if he doesn't, give him the development opportunity!)

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They have 1/2 of the goaltending set for next year.  They still need to pair Levi with somebody that gives the team a chance to win any given night.  Sign Varlamov and then fix the D.

Agreed.  I did fail to address that. Any of the three current goalies not named Levi are not sufficient. We need better.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Wouldn't Varlamov want to sing somewhere where he's the clear cut starter?  Levi, I think we all can agree is all clear cut starter.  Acquiring 1 or 2 big upgrades at D is more important than a backup goalie.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

43 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

Wouldn't Varlamov want to sing somewhere where he's the clear cut starter?  Levi, I think we all can agree is all clear cut starter.  Acquiring 1 or 2 big upgrades at D is more important than a backup goalie.  

We can't all agree on that. Come on. I know he wasn't at fault for any goal, but please... It's very much open for debate.

15 minutes ago, ... said:

This is an Okposo who knows he's not coming back. Kind of sad.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/kyle-okposo-postgame-41123/t-277437090/c-16563692

To be honest I think he's planning to retire. Adams would likely welcome him back 1 more year but he may just honestly be out of the physical ability to do it

Disappointing. Good effort, but ultimately disappointing, and even more disappointing with Pittsburgh losing to Chicago at home. 

Dare I say New Jersey is better coached than us? They are not that different from us in terms of talent, but they play a more structured and disciplined game, better team D, block more shots, intercept more passes, just better team structure. I guess they are in fact a good year or so ahead of us. Maybe we get their point total next year if we fix our holes. 

Owen Power is quietly becoming very very good. Looking at his progress and development this year I think he will eventually be more important to this team than Dahlin. Maybe not as dynamic offensively, but more important in terms of an all around game. He also seems to elevate his game under pressure and the bigger the game the better he plays. 

On the other hand, we need to upgrade Jokiharju and Bryson/Stillman. I don't think anyone will disagree that Bryson is terrible and Stillman is a bottom end sub at best but Jokiharju is also terrible. Sure, he has some good nights and occasional good offensive plays but he is simply a bad defenseman. Power deserves a better partner .

Really hope management makes the necessary moves this off season. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Disappointing. Good effort, but ultimately disappointing, and even more disappointing with Pittsburgh losing to Chicago at home. 

Dare I say New Jersey is better coached than us? They are not that different from us in terms of talent, but they play a more structured and disciplined game, better team D, block more shots, intercept more passes, just better team structure. I guess they are in fact a good year or so ahead of us. Maybe we get their point total next year if we fix our holes. 

Owen Power is quietly becoming very very good. Looking at his progress and development this year I think he will eventually be more important to this team than Dahlin. Maybe not as dynamic offensively, but more important in terms of an all around game. He also seems to elevate his game under pressure and the bigger the game the better he plays. 

On the other hand, we need to upgrade Jokiharju and Bryson/Stillman. I don't think anyone will disagree that Bryson is terrible and Stillman is a bottom end sub at best but Jokiharju is also terrible. Sure, he has some good nights and occasional good offensive plays but he is simply a bad defenseman. Power deserves a better partner .

Really hope management makes the necessary moves this off season. 

Agree with this assessment. Always liked Lindy as a coach. Having said this I'm not ready to dump DG but need to upgrade our defense and maybe some assistants. Overall this team from last part of last season through this season is an improved team by a lot.

Edited by Radar

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.