GDT: Sabres @ Devils - April 11, 2023, 7pm, MSG πŸ“Ί WGR πŸ“»

LGR4GM

I was in NYC yesterday for work and shotgunned an extra night to catch the Devils game where I was lucky enough to meet and spend some time chatting with the Levi's.

I was in the lower bowl but the opposite side of the ice, so I wandered to the Sabres side for warm ups. It was me and maybe a dozen Sabres fans or less. I notice the woman in front of me has a blue 27 jersey on. I politely wave and say "Welcome to NJ Mrs. Levi. Your son is maybe my favorite person in the city right now" Mr. Levi walked up behind me and chimed in with "He is her favorite person in the city too".

We talked for maybe 10-15 minutes. They were remarkably kind and down to earth people. They love Buffalo. Levi is loving Buffalo and the guys in the locker room. They raved about the people. They don't anticipate Levi switches his jersey number. It hasn't come up once in conversation. I mentioned 27 is the same as Tre's and the Tre White Goaltending Academy. They didn't know anything about it, but they loved it. They proactively said that Devon would love to do a sequel commercial with Tre and Marty. So if you see or hear anything, know where it came from!

I didn't want to blow up their spot so we had a pretty casual conversation, but it was funny; more than a few Sabres fans while walking past commented about how they (the parents) bought Levi jerseys as if the parents were just normal Sabres fans.

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Not sure, I expected him to play.

My guess is DG wanted to play a faster Bryson vs the Devils.Β 
Β 

I don’t want to see Bryson on this team again.

Even though who is your 6th D-man is not usually a point of discussion, it will be interesting to hear why they chose him.

As you said, maybe he wanted a faster guy out there?

But on the other hand as I mentioned above, he only played about 6 minutes AND by having a player that you won't/cant play on PK, ALL of those minutes fell on Power.Β  Had Stillman played and was on the PK, you wouldn't have Power forced to play 27 minutes, he could play his PP and even strength at a slightly fresher 25 minutes.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mango said:

We talked for maybe 10-15 minutes. They were remarkably kind and down to earth people. They love Buffalo. Levi is loving Buffalo and the guys in the locker room.Β 

Maybe this a large part of wanting to have guys who 'want to be here'. Adams as a former player would at least know locker room dynamics.

Maybe it doesn't matter. And maybe winning or the money you play a player ultimately is more important for where he plays. But on the other hand, maybe, MAYBE when a guy is here for development camp, when he gets to meet not only your other prospects, but other guys on the team through the offseason, that means something.Β  There is a lot of specuation on the topic of the locker room before Adams took over, but we have heard enough stories from former players and media close to the team about how bad it was.Β 

If you have a young guy like Levi, it is quite possible that if he is unsure about signing in Buffalo or going to free agency....coming into a locker room where he knows people, where guys look to be having fun, where most players/everyone welcomes him and talks to him, where vets show up at development camp to watch or participate with the young guys in optional skates......he may be MORE likely to sign here in that situation compared to a situation where little or none of that happens and the locker room is dominated by egos and cliques.

No guarantee and this is specuation of course, but I think Levi was more likely to sign here with this locker room and guys like Tuch, Dahlin, Okposo being leaders than he would have been with the leadership group and the 'core' 4-5 years ago. THAT is where having guys that 'want to be here' might matter.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Maybe this a large part of wanting to have guys who 'want to be here'. Adams as a former player would at least know locker room dynamics.

Maybe it doesn't matter. And maybe winning or the money you play a player ultimately is more important for where he plays. But on the other hand, maybe, MAYBE when a guy is here for development camp, when he gets to meet not only your other prospects, but other guys on the team through the offseason, that means something.Β  There is a lot of specuation on the topic of the locker room before Adams took over, but we have heard enough stories from former players and media close to the team about how bad it was.Β 

If you have a young guy like Levi, it is quite possible that if he is unsure about signing in Buffalo or going to free agency....coming into a locker room where he knows people, where guys look to be having fun, where most players/everyone welcomes him and talks to him, where vets show up at development camp to watch or participate with the young guys in optional skates......he may be MORE likely to sign here in that situation compared to a situation where little or none of that happens and the locker room is dominated by egos and cliques.

No guarantee and this is specuation of course, but I think Levi was more likely to sign here with this locker room and guys like Tuch, Dahlin, Okposo being leaders than he would have been with the leadership group and the 'core' 4-5 years ago. THAT is where having guys that 'want to be here' might matter.

That comment wasn't lost on me either. It wasn't pried out of them either, no "how does he like the team?". Just a pretty simple "Welcome to Buffalo" and they offered a "Thank you. We love it. The people. The team. etc."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

We will see. It depends on what moves they make and if Granato can come up with an effective defensive scheme. This team will be young again. There is a chance we have a similar year if we don’t fix the obvious Achilles heel of this team.Β 

Not really. This same team with Levi has 105 pointsΒ 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I didn't read the entire thread so I'm not sure if this was brought up but....Power's ice time.Β  I think it was over 27 minutes.Β  More than Dahlin even.

I know they want him to develop and he is playing well for a rookie, but at some point is it too much?Β  From a fatigue/injury standpoint anyway?Β  A lot of first pair guys who are pushing hard on a team in the playoffs get less minutes than that, I'm just wondering what the reason is for so much ice time for him.Β  I don't think his development suffers if he is around the 22 minute mark.

I agree with you. I am totally guessing but probably a few factors.Β 
- Bryson.....

- Joker

- Rumor has it Dahlin might be a little banged up and has been carrying this defense seemingly by himself for 80 games now.Β 

Probably an accumulation of some guys sucking and Dahlin being exhausted. Somebody has to play those minutes

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

We just need you to keep being negative, it works for us as they tend to prove to wrong.Β  When you flip to positive they go the opposite way.Β  Β 

Just a tidbit about Jason Alexander who plays George Costanza. He's a cousin of Howard Simon, now retired from WGR. Last year, Howard had him on the show. Jason seemed to be very personable and down to earth.Β 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.