Buffalo should fire Granato

Buffalonill

6 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

What is “real goaltending”. Who should Adams court? 

Just putting that back out there because there is talk Philly might be willing to trade him. 

If they plan to keep Hart and bring up Ersson full time I'd make a deal for Sandstrom. Shouldn't cost much and although he won't solve the problem, he's an upgrade from Comrie. I'd still look for a starter. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

If this team plans to make Levi their #1 next year they are all insane. 

And they would be going back on everything they have preached since Adams took the reins. Has any goalie started their career immediately in the NHL. If so were they the teams starter?

19 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't really like the high-level "well they're going to finish where you expected them to"

No team at any level of a rebuild should escape serious criticism and questioning for performances like the Sabres have put up at home in general, and during the last 3 weeks overall. Play like this has no place in any serious professional sports "plan" or "build" or "rebuild." 

That high level take also isn’t even accurate re: pre season expectations. It might not be FAR off, but it’s off. The consensus was higher than low 80s

The language, and data, wasn’t “around .500”

28 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

27 people did and that won the vote 

And 23 people  said 80-90 points. 

Maybe Y'all forgot 

I’m with you on this. There are plenty trying to re-write this. No dice folks 

9 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

And they would be going back on everything they have preached since Adams took the reins. Has any goalie started their career immediately in the NHL. If so were they the teams starter?

I can't think of anyone. There have been rookies forced into playing early because of multiple injuries on a team but they generally go back to the AHL or wherever after a stretch of games. More often than not goalies develop the slowest.

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I can't think of anyone. There have been rookies forced into playing early because of multiple injuries on a team but they generally go back to the AHL or wherever after a stretch of games. More often than not goalies develop the slowest.

17 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

Patrick Roy

To get back on topic...................

The general thesis is fault can rest on the shoulders of your players, your coaches, your upper management, or all of the above. 

It is the coach's job to get the maximum out of what he's given. He can't do more than that. If the team has bad players or is missing pieces he can try to cover up for that but ultimately he has little chance for success no matter who he is. 

If the idea is "fire Granato" that means he's not getting all he should or can from these players. I doubt that's true. I think he's been given marginal NHL goaltending, a young and thin D and few defensively minded forwards to work with. As such, he has tried to create a fast skating offensively oriented team that can out score the opposition. Go with the strengths of what you have been given and maximize that. 

It worked for a while when the games were more open, but most of these players don't go to the hard areas and as such it's falling apart now so the strengths are gone and the weaknesses are more apparent. Is that Granato's fault? I don't think so. I think it falls on upper management and the roster they provided him. I cannot think of a coach who could definitely fix this.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

he played in Sherbrooke first. AHL. 

Haha.  Roy played exactly 1 game in the AHL the season before his rookie year.  Then he took over as an NHL starter at 20.

Does that really count as not going straight to the NHL?

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

He played 1 game

84-85 

QMJHL - 44gp

AHL - 1gp

NHL - 1gp

85-86

NHL - 47gp

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

Haha.  Roy played exactly 1 game in the AHL the season before his rookie year.  Then he took over as an NHL starter at 20.

We all know what happened at the end of his rookie season too.

Skimmed this beaut and my answer still is no.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

That high level take also isn’t even accurate re: pre season expectations. It might not be FAR off, but it’s off. The consensus was higher than low 80s

The language, and data, wasn’t “around .500”

I’m with you on this. There are plenty trying to re-write this. No dice folks 

The concensus seemed to be high 80's.  Personally said 91-92 and until the past couple of games thought that was still very doable.  C'mon Devin, they can still get there. ;)

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

90 point average, ya. Just did this in another thread 

Its gonna depend on how we finish. Just the way it is. Look at the numbers in the poll, read the thread. People aren’t saying “around .500” and low 80s. The talk is playoff bubble / high 80s low 90s

I said 87-90 points and that was pretty much on point until this crazy implosion towards the end of the year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Curt said:

So how come his bio says:

After the game, Roy was sent to Sherbrooke to observe how the minor pro game was played. Sherbrooke had two netminders, and Patrick was certain he would not play, but fortune smiled on him once again. The one night he was the backup, the starter had equipment troubles early in the game. Subsequently Patrick came in and played well, and the starter never played another game the rest of the season. In the AHL playoffs, Roy established what was to be his finest attribute -- the ability to play under pressure. He led the team to a Calder Cup championship, and the next fall, he was at Montreal's training camp looking to join the club full time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.