Buffalo should fire Granato

Buffalonill

4 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Can someone explain to me why they shouldn't?

2 hours ago, Skibum said:

I think it's a legitimate option. 

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

It’s been apparent all season for those paying attention.

3 minutes ago, Goldseatsaud said:

Fire maybe I think the team quit on the coach and his message.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Best coach the Sabres have had in a decade, that reinvented the games of Thompson, Skinner, Tuch, Cozens into stars and is sitting on two Norris hopefuls in Dahlin and Power, but because we're backstopped by three Oxo brand collanders, they want his head.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

No spines.  I roll with Granato.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Best coach the Sabres have had in a decade, that reinvented the games of Thompson, Skinner, Tuch, Cozens into stars and is sitting on two Norris hopefuls in Dahlin and Power, but because we're backstopped by three Oxo brand collanders, they want his head.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

No spines.  I roll with Granato.

Really? Lol  Just shows  how this fanbase hasn't seen good coaching since ruff.

I mean it truly is not that hard to back-check.  But the 2 on 1s, the turnovers... its just so frustrating to watch.  I watch a d-man go pressure a guy at the blue line and its like you are literally surrendering a 2x1.  The thing is, they were doing this before too, the goalies were just occasionally making some saves. 

The last few games the goaltending has just been absolutely pathetic.  

15 minutes ago, Norcal said:

You must be so happy today. All your efforts have paid off. Congrats 🍻

No I'm just Angry and upset from a guy thats old as dirt it hurts knowing I'm never going to see the cup like my father and his father .

Yeah its just sports but it just hurts knowing my son might go through this too when im gone in a couple  years 

We have a young, tired (physically and especially mentally) team right now, no depth on the defense, and weak goaltending.  They need to grow into man bodies as they hit their mid 20's.  We need two above average NHL defensemen, and Levi and a an experienced starting NHL goalie goalie to split starts next year.  With a some good young forwards in the pipeline, we need to trade assets for D.  Also need to build a 4th line that can consistently be physical.  This team is soft, the league has figured it out.  The Penalty Kill requires better coaching, and they better have the right coach for Levi's development.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

No I'm just Angry and upset from a guy thats old as dirt it hurts knowing I'm never going to see the cup like my father and his father .

Yeah its just sports but it just hurts knowing my son might go through this too when im gone in a couple  years 

Just hang in there 2 more years 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Maybe me and you were the ones that said they would suck.

But everyone else had them pegged for 85 to 90 + points plus playoffs

For crying out loud they were on pace for 85 to 90 points and were playing meaningful games into March.

What is pulling the goalie going to do? Putting the other crappy goalie in will magically stop all the high danger chances being given up?

Yes the wheels have fallen off recently but let’s not pretend this team has been horrible all season.

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

For crying out loud they were on pace for 85 to 90 points and were playing meaningful games into March.

What is pulling the goalie going to do? Putting the other crappy goalie in will magically stop all the high danger chances being given up?

Yes the wheels have fallen off recently but let’s not pretend this team has been horrible all season.

How long has the "We need to play better defensively" chants been going on this board? Pretty much since the beginning of the season or at least at the beginning quarter mark. How is it that we continue to give up break away after breakaway to teams like Nashville and it still hasn't even been slightly taken care of? Why are we still not getting it out of our own zone immediately?  I walked away from last nights game and we gave up 4 breakaways yet no coaching change, no style change, yes he developed guys and he's very good at that aspect of coaching but as a coach who can elivate them into playoff Sabres I don't think he's the right guy for the job again imo. 

48 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

No.  Firing coaches is one reason we are on this mess. 

He gets another year.  Next year is playoffs or the conversation gets re-opened. 

Next year is playoffs or there is no conversation.

• Like (+1) 2

No one remembers any of Lindy Ruff's gaffes in 1997-9 because Hasek covered up for his and his players' shortcomings.  The phrase "hilariously inept coaching with even more inept players" once appeared in my copy of _The Hockey News_ in 1998.  Granato is there but he does not have a Hasek or Miller bailing him out.  He may or may not get better.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

No.  Firing coaches is one reason we are on this mess. 

He gets another year.  Next year is playoffs or the conversation gets re-opened. 

And even then I still think you keep him unless a coach with heavy merit is in line to replace him 

Was Byslma a good coach? Probably not. He did have to coach a bunch of misfits, though. Was 2 years long enough? No

Was Housley a good coach? Probably not. Again, 2 years is an absurdly short window. Simliar/same players as well 

Was Ralph a good coach? This one's easier. No. 2 years is still too short. His mistakes were more blatant 

You can't give a coach only 2 years total and expect real changes to happen 

Continuity matters

Keep firing keep coaches too early, change the system every two years and the cycle will continue. It's been continuing for 12 years   

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Derrico said:

This is all on Adam’s for not seriously addressing goaltending….again

He tried to address it with Comrie who played extremely well last year and was 2nd in the NHL at goals allowed under expected only behind Sheshterkin. 

He played great his first game, then got hurt long term came back briefly and got hurt again long term and never really found his form all year.

There was no reason to believe that Comrie would go from really really good to abysmal, so I can't really fault him for that one.

Other than the past 2 games, Anderson has played very very well. He was 7th in the NHL in save percentage before those.

Outside of a 5-6 game stretch with UPL and a couple games with Comrie those two have been abysmal.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So maybe the person who should be on the hot seat is the guy who keeps hiring bad goalies?

If he doesn’t get real goaltending this summer he should lose his job.  I don’t care if Levi comes in and plays great in his 3-4 starts.  Asking a 21 year old goalie just out of college to carry a playoff caliber team is wrong.  

I agree with much of what our GM has done. But, like you, I hold him accountable for undercutting void at the goalie position. If that position is not seriously addressed this offseason and additions are not made to the blueline, then the onus is on the GM. There is no excuse for him not to do what is necessary to address those sabotaging roster deficits. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Marvin said:

No one remembers any of Lindy Ruff's gaffes in 1997-9 because Hasek covered up for his and his players' shortcomings.  The phrase "hilariously inept coaching with even more inept players" once appeared in my copy of _The Hockey News_ in 1998.  Granato is there but he does not have a Hasek or Miller bailing him out.  He may or may not get better.

Black And White Test GIF

1 hour ago, Goldseatsaud said:

Boston fired Claude julien and Bruce Cassidy and still a very good team. Maybe management is better in Boston.

Management is definitely better in Boston.  It’s not even close. That is not a debate.  

Counting on Buffalo to hire the right coach, better than Granato, I’d a huge gamble. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Next year is playoffs or there is no conversation.

Really,  with Adam’s and Pegula ?  

You will be here next year and in the thick of the conversation.  

53 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

And even then I still think you keep him unless a coach with heavy merit is in line to replace him 

Was Byslma a good coach? Probably not. He did have to coach a bunch of misfits, though. Was 2 years long enough? No

Was Housley a good coach? Probably not. Again, 2 years is an absurdly short window. Simliar/same players as well 

Was Ralph a good coach? This one's easier. No. 2 years is still too short. His mistakes were more blatant 

You can't give a coach only 2 years total and expect real changes to happen 

Continuity matters

Keep firing keep coaches too early, change the system every two years and the cycle will continue. It's been continuing for 12 years   

None of those coaches you mention work in the NHL.  They all stink. 

7 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Can someone explain to me why they shouldn't?

- He sucks At coaching

-  Horrible in game adjustments

-  Loves leaving the goaltender in  To ruin the confidence and not wake up the team

-  Has zero clue how to teach defense

- Doesn't hold anybody accountable

-  And the team is soft as butter and has zero heart

*Cherry on top*

The player that he  Pounded the table for is out of shape!!!!( Granato said it himself)

Other teams in the NHL fire their coach for failed seasons but buffalo Reward them

( Great development coach That's it.)

*I'm sure I missed a ton of points so add on*

Sorry for the rant I'm an angry old man and I'm p*****

Don't take this stuff so seriously.

It's not on Granato, yet. A year from now maybe, and that's if KA gets him a full toolbox to work with. Tools being 2 solid (top 4) D men and a bridge goalie (real goalie, not a hoping for something better goalie) that can backstop the team until UPL and/or Levi are ready to take the reins. Icing on the cake is a experienced 4C to take important draws and drive the PK unit. Add those things to another year of experience for the youth movement and Granato is in trouble if they piss their pants over the last 25 games of the season. 

Short answer is nope, not even a consideration at this point.

No we shouldn't fire Donny Meatballs or get rid of Adams! I say we should make sure he has an extension. Where would your so call Norris winner be without him? Three years ago he lead the league in +/- with a -44.Great coaches are teachers, players win games. He is the perfect coach for such a young group. This is such a  funny post I 'm looking for your next Post on a Bills blog that we should trade Josh Allen or fire Mcdoumbnutts. ...bahahaha

2 hours ago, Goldseatsaud said:

Boston fired Claude julien and Bruce Cassidy and still a very good team. Maybe management is better in Boston.

Our management didn't want to "block" the elite prospect that was UPL while saying competition is important and therefore let Ullmark walk, without bringing in real goaltending to create the stated goal of competition for jobs.

Boston management said Ullmark please come here and play with our top prospect Swayman and now they have the best tandem in hockey.  Apparently, they weren't actually worried about real competition.

Last I looked there are two goaltenders on each team in the NHL (except us, we have 3 bad goalies). Boston said we need two good ones, while Buffalo said screw that we don't care if we have any credible goaltending.

Since Ullmark walked, we've had Anderson, Dell, Tokarski, Subban, Houser, Comrie, and UPL.  UPL can't even beat out that sorry lot.  Talk about bad management and a lack of real competition.

One team makes good decisions and competes for a Cup even with one of the older forward groups in the NHL and one group makes terrible decisions and fails to give an emerging team the support it needs and deserves.  

I don't know if Granato is the answer, but I do know he can only work with the team he is given.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.