Buffalo should fire Granato

Buffalonill

7 hours ago, Ross Rhea said:

My only question about this is how do we know Adams hasn't tried to bring in all sorts of talent, FAs and that talent said no because of Buffalos current loser reputation. Trades are different, but NMCs. 

I don't think they're offering enough $$. Wanna build from within. And that's gonna kill them in the long run.

Gotta get going while the irons hot. Don't wanna lose these guys while their still young. Can't ***** around anymore. Start with a #1 goalie. Then build out. 

55 minutes ago, Quint said:

Did anyone ever find out what that laughter in the background was during DG's postgame presser vs Nashville?

Granato must know… Media must know… They were there… The laughers know… Can’t fathom it was our guys in our locker room… Can you?

31 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Lol.  Not everything in the past is Neanderthal is it?   

They played home on Monday.  Did they practice Tuesday, rest Wednesday, and then another home game on Thursday?  Or did they get 2 days off?   I dont know the answer but  two days off is often a bad thing unless you’re nursing an injury.   They didn’t have to travel either.  

Light skating, special teams practice, and defensive positioning all need a lot of attention.   Even video sessions of the recent error prone defensive play would help.  

I don’t know what the union negotiated, if anyo, but they don’t always serve the players best interest with back to backs and travel.  

Individual players often get days off during the season whether required to or not. There is nothing unusual about that. Some players get it due to being banged up and some get it to refreshen their legs. You are right not everything associated with the past is archaic. But there are attitudes associated with the dictatorial past that are no longer tolerated by organizations that have a modern attitude toward players and the best way to handle them during a long season. The hockey and sports world in general have very much changed from the past practices. 

Edited by JohnC

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't find it strange at all that players get days off. Whether this was league mandated because of union contract stipulations or periodic days offs to freshen the legs or give players a break from the grinding routine there is nothing wrong with judicious decisions not to practice. The neanderthal era of coaching and handling players is in the past, the very long past. 

"neanderthal era" 

why do you always do that? You get the point I was making about effort and accountability do you not? Nothing "neanderthal" about that. Heart and soul still matters in sports and always will. 

I was watching Flyers Wild tonight and although Philly has far less offensive talent than we do their effort level compared to us is off the charts. If we were giving the level of effort they are and we played hard and went to the hard areas like they do we would be IN the playoffs right now. Even with this crap goaltending. 

"neanderthal"? If that's neanderthal, I'd rather be a caveman than a beached whale (gratuitous Brendan Fraser joke for your dining and dancing pleasure)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I love it when lazy people put the red x up but don't bother to offer a reason or a counter argument. 

Lazy Sabrespace posting perhaps reflective of the lazy team they support.

Now let the red x's begin.....................

I give you laughing smiley face 

And Pimlack gave me the x in the Pegula thread for saying the Pegulas have been spending money lol 

Plus he didn't explain why 

Edited by TageMVP
  • Disagree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I love it when lazy people put the red x up but don't bother to offer a reason or a counter argument. 

See, you're not a Sabres fan. No Sabres fan refers to other Sabres fans like this. They implies a group you're not in. Freudian slip but reveals a lot. Enjoy the Bruins cup run. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

See, you're not a Sabres fan. No Sabres fan refers to other Sabres fans like this. They implies a group you're not in. Freudian slip but reveals a lot. Enjoy the Bruins cup run. 

I recognized that the first month or so back when I joined.  Not to mention many posts that lean that way as well. Claiming is different than being. At least that’s how I see it.

On 3/22/2023 at 8:33 AM, Buffalonill said:

Can someone explain to me why they shouldn't?

- He sucks At coaching

-  Horrible in game adjustments

-  Loves leaving the goaltender in  To ruin the confidence and not wake up the team

-  Has zero clue how to teach defense

- Doesn't hold anybody accountable

-  And the team is soft as butter and has zero heart

*Cherry on top*

The player that he  Pounded the table for is out of shape!!!!( Granato said it himself)

Other teams in the NHL fire their coach for failed seasons but buffalo Reward them

( Great development coach That's it.)

*I'm sure I missed a ton of points so add on*

Sorry for the rant I'm an angry old man and I'm p*****

yes, you are.   

relax, no coaching revolving door please.   Levi will plug the hole in goal and all will be well.  

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

"neanderthal era" 

why do you always do that? You get the point I was making about effort and accountability do you not? Nothing "neanderthal" about that. Heart and soul still matters in sports and always will. 

I was watching Flyers Wild tonight and although Philly has far less offensive talent than we do their effort level compared to us is off the charts. If we were giving the level of effort they are and we played hard and went to the hard areas like they do we would be IN the playoffs right now. Even with this crap goaltending. 

"neanderthal"? If that's neanderthal, I'd rather be a caveman than a beached whale (gratuitous Brendan Fraser joke for your dining and dancing pleasure)

Do you want to know the primary reason why Boston has had a sterling seaon while the Sabres are now plummeting? Their goalie tandem is Ullmark and Swayman while our goalie unit is composed of Anderson, Comrie and UPL. There is no question that the Sabres can and should play a tighter and tougher brand of hockey. But the main problem centers around the talent base in net and the blueline. That's the heart of the problem. 

• Agree 3

Attached is a mailbag column by Lance Lysowski from the Buffalo News. It discusses topics associated with the current and future lineups and the moves that could be made. This question/answer column is similar to what we discuss here. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-mailbag-how-should-gm-kevyn-adams-react-to-the-recent-struggles/article_f62e13ec-c986-11ed-8ebb-3721855fda92.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Found it interesting Lysowski led his Mailbox column today with a full-throated defense of DG and named our Assts with their primary assignments… He must have gotten an earful recently from friends and fans in his circle about our coaches… 

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Attached is a mailbag column by Lance Lysowski from the Buffalo News. It discusses topics associated with the current and future lineups and the moves that could be made. This question/answer column is similar to what we discuss here. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-mailbag-how-should-gm-kevyn-adams-react-to-the-recent-struggles/article_f62e13ec-c986-11ed-8ebb-3721855fda92.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Paywall for me but the snippet on the Sabres Report page of this site seems to suggest Lance has a way for the Sabres to get CLOSER to the playoffs next year.

Wait for it. Pod.

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why would you write stuff like this?  Why would you assassinate the characters of everyone here who are are supposedly fellow fans of a team you seemingly ostensibly support?

Did it ever occur to you that the emojis are designed for quick takes rather than thoughtful responses?  I've been using them since 1983 on rec.arts.drwho.  I do not have the time for thoughtful responses for every post I agree or disagree with.  I assume that those who give me the negative emoticons either have expounded on them in detail beforehand, will respond indirectly later in further posts, or will require me to clarify my post.  I assume most posters are in my boat.  We have been using them as a stand-in for actual responses for 36 years that I know about.  I am not surprised by it.  I am not nearly intelligent enough to figure out why you are, so please indulge my stupidity and explain your surprise to me.

• Vomit 1

As annoyed as I am with both Granato and Adams, the firing of either at this point would be a huge mistake.  Even if they aren't perfect or even great, they have shown a level of competence that the previous administrations lacked.  

I don't blame DG for all the problems the roster has had.  It's not his fault that the team lacks D depth or any goaltending to speak of.  He can only coach what he is given.  Considering the growth of the offense under his system and the improvement in guys like Dahlin, Skinner, Jost, Mitts, Cozens, and Tuch, I'm having a hard time wishing he were replaced.  His system on the other hand needs to be looked at more closely.  I don't like that he doesn't match lines, especially at home, and I am a bit discouraged that he hasn't found a way to stop at least some of these high-danger chances against.

My complaints about KA are well-known and don't need to be rehashed here.  His job performance in clearing out the old core, drafting well, and creating a more competitive and exciting roster are well documented and enough positive to keep him in his job.  I also like the fact that he seems to recognize the defensive issues and is working to start fixing them.  

One of the things this franchise needs more than anything else is stability.  However given the recent collapse by the team once they got into legit playoff contention has significantly warmed the seats both men are sitting on.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

check your grammar rules . If I am talking about them, I use they. 

I was a Sabres fan before you were born and your attempts at invalidating it are offensive and idiotic. 

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Do you want to know the primary reason why Boston has had a sterling seaon while the Sabres are now plummeting? Their goalie tandem is Ullmark and Swayman while our goalie unit is composed of Anderson, Comrie and UPL. There is no question that the Sabres can and should play a tighter and tougher brand of hockey. But the main problem centers around the talent base in net and the blueline. That's the heart of the problem. 

Ya they have good goaltending, but that's not the reason. Lot more to it than that. 

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Why would you write stuff like this?  Why would you assassinate the characters of everyone here who are are supposedly fellow fans of a team you seemingly ostensibly support?

Did it ever occur to you that the emojis are designed for quick takes rather than thoughtful responses?  I've been using them since 1983 on rec.arts.drwho.  I do not have the time for thoughtful responses for every post I agree or disagree with.  I assume that those who give me the negative emoticons either have expounded on them in detail beforehand, will respond indirectly later in further posts, or will require me to clarify my post.  I assume most posters are in my boat.  We have been using them as a stand-in for actual responses for 36 years that I know about.  I am not surprised by it.  I am not nearly intelligent enough to figure out why you are, so please indulge my stupidity and explain your surprise to me.

It's still lazy. 

If you don't have the time to reply and provide a counter argument why say anything at all? 

Now where can I find a F U emoji for people questioning my validity as a "fan"?

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya they have good goaltending, but that's not the reason. Lot more to it than that. 

Of course, the Bruins not only have wide disparity in talent/s in net but they also have a fuller roster. When players go down for us, a team that lacks depth, it has a cascading negative effect on the team. The injury to Samuelsson demonstrates that. The difference between Buffalo and Boston is talent. Their willingness to engage in fisticuffs compared to our willingness is a trivial and inconsequential issue as to why one team is better than the other. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Of course, the Bruins not only have wide disparity in talent/s in net but they also have a fuller roster. When players go down for us, a team that lacks depth, it has a cascading negative effect on the team. The injury to Samuelsson demonstrates that. The difference between Buffalo and Boston is talent. Their willingness to engage in fisticuffs compared to our willingness is a trivial and inconsequential issue as to why one team is better than the other. 

I can't agree with this but leave it at that. It's far from a "trivial" thing.

An example of how it shows up and impacts is how teams play in the hard and dirty areas. The front of the net. One of the Sabres constant issues is lack of net front presence and poor defensive play in front of our own goalie. Lots of our players just don't go in there or fight for that real estate but on teams where players have each other's back (like the Bruins, but lots of others as well) they drive the net and fight for rebounds and whack in lots of dirty goals. All of these things make a huge difference but as I said, we won't agree so leave it at that. 

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

An example of how it shows up and impacts is how teams play in the hard and dirty areas. The front of the net. One of the Sabres constant issues is lack of net front presence and poor defensive play in front of our own goalie. Lots of our players just don't go in there or fight for that real estate but on teams where players have each other's back (like the Bruins, but lots of others as well) they drive the net and fight for rebounds and whack in lots of dirty goals. All of these things make a huge difference but as I said, we won't agree so leave it at that. 

You and I simply reside on different planets. That's okay. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree that we need more guys who will take punishment in dirty areas, but I think you are decidedly underrating the chasm between the 2 teams in quality depth.  The gulf is particularly obvious in goal.  It is still hard to miss on defence, where Buffalo's regular 3rd pair would at best be Boston's 4th pair.  And Boston's forward depth is far more experienced and, more importantly, savvy than Buffalo's.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.