Has Casey Mittelstadt changed any minds?

dudacek

17 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

How is this board going to react when he signs an extension this summer?

Id be genuinely surprised if it were for more than a few years.

*don’t know, and don’t care enough to look into how that lines up with his UFA date.  I’m just stating that I don’t think he gets a long term extension.

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

Id be genuinely surprised if it were for more than a few years.

*don’t know, and don’t care enough to look into how that lines up with his UFA date.  I’m just stating that I don’t think he gets a long term extension.

I'm going to guess 4-5 years.  If it's a reasonable AAV, it locks him in for the immediate future but may also be attractive as a trade asset with term.

38 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

How is this board going to react when he signs an extension this summer?

Not sure whether you were joking here, but this is a very real possibility.  Mitts turns 25 in November, DG speaks highly of him, and it's quite possible that Mitts stays on Cozens' wing and continues to play well and improve through the rest of the season.  I can definitely see KA deciding to make a TT-type move and extend Mitts while his value is perhaps a bit discounted -- of course at a lower price than TT got.

I don't think I would give him an extension if I were in KA's shoes, but I wouldn't be surprised.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Not sure whether you were joking here, but this is a very real possibility.  Mitts turns 25 in November, DG speaks highly of him, and it's quite possible that Mitts stays on Cozens' wing and continues to play well and improve through the rest of the season.  I can definitely see KA deciding to make a TT-type move and extend Mitts while his value is perhaps a bit discounted -- of course at a lower price than TT got.

I don't think I would give him an extension if I were in KA's shoes, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm dead serious. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he got an extension. I just want to see what people saying their reactions will be now so we can dig this up in 5 months and compare.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I'm dead serious. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he got an extension. I just want to see what people saying their reactions will be now so we can dig this up in 5 months and compare.

Woo hoo, let’s all go back and throw someone’s change of opinion in their faces!  With evidence!

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Woo hoo, let’s all go back and throw someone’s change of opinion in their faces!  With evidence!

I didn't mean it to be malicious. The thread was whether or not he's changed people's minds. I'd like to see if minds change again. There's nothing wrong with changing opinions on players.

48 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I didn't mean it to be malicious. The thread was whether or not he's changed people's minds. I'd like to see if minds change again. There's nothing wrong with changing opinions on players.

Fair enough.  Intent matters.

He is definitely playing well.  He's stronger along the boards and a more confident player overall.  He's reasonably physical in the offensive zone and has shown an ability to battle and come out wtih the puck, along with some good offensive skill - more passing that shooting.  He's developed into a solid middle-6 forward and a positive contributor at the NHL level.

I see him as a "victim" of his draft position.  If he had been drafted in the 2nd round or later, everyone would be happy with where he is in his career now.  Given that he was a top-10 1st round pick, expecations were/are much higher.  At some point, folks have to let draft position go, and decide whether the guy can help the team.  I think he can.  And he's not going to get paid superstar/top-10 money, so if he can play a good middle-6 role and get paid as such, there shouldn't be an issue.  That said, given the influx of young forwards in the coming years, I agree that he might get squeezed out.  While he isn't going to get $7M, he's going to make more than a guy on a rookie contract and they can't keep everybody.

Not really. I suppose he has a chance to exceed the 50 but it’s gonna be close

On 9/3/2022 at 11:57 AM, Thorny said:

Not sure exactly what to expect from Casey except, if he’s the 2C I doubt we take a run at the playoffs. I actually see a shift to W, where he gets around that 40-50 points. 

2 years ago:

On 3/28/2021 at 12:55 PM, Thorny said:

I think 2C will be Dylan’s perfect niche. Though you can’t rule out a Scheifele like trajectory. Cozens is more of a balanced style but purely in terms of development you never know. Both taken from 7 actually, big bodies. 

Casey has been better. I still think he settles in as a 3rd line LW 

Hey look at that, Dylan DID take that Scheifele like scoring jump, and Casey is on the left wing. I said all along he’d be the guy best suited to W

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Sorry 

On 5/7/2021 at 9:13 AM, Thorny said:

Then play him on the left wing where he belongs

Any centre can play wing, it's the easier position - he's definitely "suited" for it. Now obviously there are players who can better maximize the C of the ice, and maybe Mittelstadt is better at C - but in my estimation I think we'd lose more of Cozens game at W than we would Casey's. The 200 foot game is a big part of this, specifically in the neutral and defensive zones, with how Cozens projects. Offensive players can go whereever they want in the O-zone anyways, there's nothing to stop Mittelstadt from playing in the "middle" in the o-zone even if he lines up on the left in the d-zone. 

Whoever ends up the better player, put that guy at C. I still think that's Cozens, so I have Cozens at C. If Cozens becomes our 2nd best C like most seem to be predicting, moving him to W wouldn't make sense. 

On 5/6/2021 at 2:41 PM, Thorny said:

It's kinda funny. Every farmer and their mom was penciling Cozens in as the heir apparent at 2, even 1C, and now he often doesn't even feature in projections for our future centres (red line. it IS spelt like that, where I live). In my estimation he's gotta still be there - if we're still thinking he's going to be as good as we were thinking and hoping, I think that necessitates it. 

I do like the idea of Mittelstadt on wing when the time is right. His shot is quick and nifty and accurate and it's his best asset. Easily utilized from the wing. He can be a good centre, too, I think, but I don't think we'd lose anything with him at W. 

I still think Cozens ends up owning the middle of the ice, 200 feet

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Once he was moved to wing, everything got better. Middle 6 winger Mitts works good. 

I’m shocked personally 

10 hours ago, jsb said:

The Mitts hate borders on delusional. He's playing faster, wins way more board battles than most, turnovers are down, Cozens has become beastly since he's teamed up with him, his team defense has improved immensely since VO has been taken off his line and he's one of the best assist men on the team, he's on pace for 52 points for the year and since January 1st he's had 20 points in 28 games on top of that this is his first year he's stayed healthy and apparently is one of the most popular guys on the team. Plus he's on a cheap contract compared to his production.

Now if you said you want more from Krebs, VO and Peterka, I get it but when your producing at a 2nd line forward rate, maybe you should watch the games a bit more and mix the positives he brings to the table and not judge him on anything he does wrong.

I think this is pretty fair. 

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Sorry 

Don Granto made two moves that proved transformative for two players. First, and foremost, was moving Tage to center. And to a lesser degree he moved Mitts from the center position (as you long ago suggested) to the wing. As it turned out he went from spinning his wheels to becoming a productive winger. And it should also be noted that he is one of our best players along the wall.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

You list Krebs twice.

Got him.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

When?  23/24 or 24/25?  Don’t forget that Kulich and Savoie’s contracts slide another year if they don’t play in Buffalo next season.  

KA gets another evaluation year on guys like Casey, Jost and Greenway and another developmental season on Krebs, Quinn and JJP if he is patient with Kulich and Savoie. 

The pencilled in top 9, assuming no Kulich or Savoie, is Skinner, Tuch, Thompson, Casey, Cozens, Quinn, JJP, Krebs/Jost and Greenway.  The Greenway addition allows KA to trade VO this summer and allows KA to keep Z and KO another year if they want to return.  

After next season all bets are off.  

HELL no on evaluation year next season. Just stop 

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

Registered his 40th point and his 30th assist tonight.

Would have put him 2nd on the entire team last year for assists, and 1st the year before that. 

He sits in a tie for 116th in league scoring among forwards - which makes him a good second liner in terms of production.

His peers statistically right now are guys like Brock Boeser, David Perron, Andre Burakovsky, William Karlsson, Matt Boldy, and Vladimir Tarasenko.

He’s just under 51% in terms of shot share, bolstered by a 53.4% run in this calendar year.

The big complaint from the fall was he’d show something for a game then disappear for 4.

Has he changed any minds?

No, had a GOOD game last night but rarely does this. We have to many Prospects and I don't look at Middlestat as a Veteran.

NEVER proven himself yet. He however has been HEALTHY.

13 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I think my problem is expectation management. As a third line guy he’s alright. He’s competent enough to fill in for top six injuries. He has good hands and maybe he could be something more with the right linemates.

I wanted him to be more of a goal scorer and hoped he’d be a good second line center. Cozens took/earned that position. I’d give Mitts one more year to see what he can do in a third line role with clear expectations.

Times up, give time to Kulich

@dudacekreading the thread, there’s been some shift on how’s he’s perceived, but not a ton. What I find revelatory however is that your thread seems to answer a question it didn’t pose: NM Casey, has the perception of where the Buffalo Sabres are going, changed? 

If we are talking about a 50 point guy possibly falling prey to looming Sabres competition we have on the way, probably says something about our current depth, in perception. And how long it’s been since it was viewed in this way.

9 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Still wait and see for me. I do appreciate his assists. He has made some really solid passes. And has good speed. But is -9 +/- and only has 10 goals.

If the right deal came along I would trade him. But it depends also on who we sign in free agency and who in the farm system seems ready to emerge and make the team. 

He is not a player I am ready to sign to a long term deal or keep as a key cog in a championship team. 

Replace him with Kulich or Savoie in a second

8 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

He’s earned a spot next to Cozens. He always was going to be a better winger. Patience is the key. Sign him cheap. 

Why, we have tons of Prospects to move up. Clogged at Sabres Level

Peterka is NOT a assest now and needs to go back down to remain a "good" prospect. Not ready.

Time for Kulich NOW, swap them, nothing to lose.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.