Chychrun to Ottawa

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Our big deadline deal was acquiring the worst player on one of the worst teams in the entire league while every other team in playoff contention made moves to improve.

Not sure what you want. 

I mean, we hung a Banner not 3 years ago

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No plan survives contact with the enemy. 

Just ask Iron Mike

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No plan survives contact with the enemy. 

Sure, it remains to be seen what the correct course of action is. Just opinions of what the correct course of action is. Chychrun however didn't seem like a great target for me... not a bad one, but not worth the cost. Time will tell if it works out for Ottawa..  it very well might.

• Agree 1

Jumping Christmas. Who really believes this guy would fit in with the Sabres' room?

His personality and situation reminds me of Eichel. He clearly has baggage in terms of injuries and long-standing trade rumours. His demeanor is nothing like the rest of our roster.

The fact that they took so little for him makes me think they were happy to move him which means he made them happy to move him.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, ... said:

Jumping Christmas. Who really believes this guy would fit in with the Sabres' room?

His personality and situation reminds me of Eichel. He clearly has baggage in terms of injuries and long-standing trade rumours. His demeanor is nothing like the rest of our roster.

The fact that they took so little for him makes me think they were happy to move him which means he made them happy to move him.

Do you think all the countless reports we heard that Buffalo was speaking to Arizona were fabricated? Actually asking. 

Remember when it comes to the players we don’t get:

1.  Does the player even want to be here?

2. Does he fit with the team?

3. Does he fit in the locker room?  

We don’t really know the answers to these questions.  

Players in all the major sports have a ton of say/leverage with where they want to go and few teams can afford to take on the risk and hoping the player will just learn to love it in Buffalo. 

If KA isn’t sold the player wants to be here we won’t try to acquire them.  That’s a massive part of his plan and it’s working.    

Just now, Thorny said:

Do you think all the countless reports we heard that Buffalo was speaking to Arizona were fabricated? Actually asking. 

I have no opinion on that. I don't know, nor do I care. I will say that far, far more important topics have been subjected to complete and totally fabricated media. 

Are you sure there were actually "countless" reports, or just one or two sources that were amplified by "countless" people? Are you sure the sources had the facts straight? Are you certain that if the Sabres were looking at him, they weren't doing anything but kicking tires? 

4 minutes ago, ... said:

I have no opinion on that. I don't know, nor do I care. I will say that far, far more important topics have been subjected to complete and totally fabricated media. 

Are you sure there were actually "countless" reports, or just one or two sources that were amplified by "countless" people? Are you sure the sources had the facts straight? Are you certain that if the Sabres were looking at him, they weren't doing anything but kicking tires? 

I think we heard it enough times from enough reputable sources that it’s probably very likely they were involved in talks. The reason I asked was specifically because you think he’s a cancer/or at least not a fit, and, assuming Adams was attempting to acquire him, I was curious as to what you’d think of that 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

Remember when it comes to the players we don’t get:

1.  Does the player even want to be here?

2. Does he fit with the team?

3. Does he fit in the locker room?  

We don’t really know the answers to these questions.  

Players in all the major sports have a ton of say/leverage with where they want to go and few teams can afford to take on the risk and hoping the player will just learn to love it in Buffalo. 

If KA isn’t sold the player wants to be here we won’t try to acquire them.  That’s a massive part of his plan and it’s working.    

From quite a few accounts he satisfied all three for KA, at least to the extent KA, supposedly, seemed to consider him a viable option. I suppose there’s a chance it was all smoke but, seems unlikely 

Probably just a case of, “there can only be one winner.”

Adams was certainly interested in the player, but never, apparently, at the price it was going to take 

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, Curt said:

This price is obviously less than the rumored ask.  I get that’s going to make some people unhappy that Adams didn’t beat it, but I never viewed Chychrun as a great fit, and I didn’t think the Sabres were going to acquire him.

Between being left handed, injury prone, and a profile that’s a bit offensive leaning, I just don’t see him as a natural long term fit.

And a UFA after 2 more seasons with no roots here.

3 hours ago, freester said:

I suspect Chycrun may have not preferred to come here. It would be highly unlikely for him to get a huge next contract given that we already have 2 defenders that will require huge money deals. 

Indeed.  He's got the next 2 seasons to earn that huge contract, either from his new team or from someone else, with his new team able to pay him after 1 more season, and he's not going to build up his stats with power play points in Buffalo.

I would've been happy to have added him, but there are plenty of reasons not to pay what Ottawa paid.

i can see & even agree that Chychrun wasn't an ideal fit given everything already said on it. But how does one explain away passing on Schenn?

A lot of the concerns or reasons against trading for Chych u didnt have with Schenn & i'd say we had the surplus of resources needed to get him or someone like him.

If Stillman is the tip of the spear this trade deadline, it will have been a missed opportunity & disappointing for sure.

Fan base wont go anywhere tho, we've made it this far haha

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I guess we are going home with the girl who we took to the dance. 

unless they get Seattle to trade away a Dman , I don’t see who else is out there 

a Chychrun trade would have given the fan base a good jolt of energy

still shaking my head that he couldn’t get a deal done 

The team is playing pretty well and home games are still pretty empty, I doubt giving the fan base a jolt is worth departing from the plan for KA. We're going to be paying Power and Dahlin big contracts, how many guys you want to give 7M+ on D to?

• dislike 1

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

... I'm not happy. 

For once we agree.

I'm not just unhappy, I'm pissed off with this team again.

We could have beat that so easily and still maintained the whole pipeline. Just give them Philly's 2nd with the conditional first and the later second and it's a better deal straight up. This team is so stupid. 

Earlier thread I said don't count Ottawa out just yet. Didn't realize it might be prophetic. 

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wonder if Buffalo had a similar offer on the table but Ottawa was willing to risk a top 10 pick and Buffalo was not

I could also see Buffalo being unwilling to only go Top 5 protection or up it further than what Ottawa paid.

Ottawa's pick is still more likely to be lower than ours since even with our issues; we have an explosive offense which Ottawa can't exactly match. We have 30 more goals this year in one fewer game. Additionally what is more likely to happen Buffalo with Chychrun falling apart or Ottawa with Chychrun falling apart. We have a Norris Candidate and and a Rocket Richard contender (minus McDavid) Personally I hate we missed out on him but from Arizona's angle it makes sense. Arizona is counting on Ottawa being bodied out of the playoffs and missing. 

Could we have matched that?  Sure. The thing that concerns me about free agents and players on the trade block is that it seems to me the longer it goes and the more a player is talked about often time he becomes more valuable in peoples eyes. So, now it looks like a good deal because of what we were told the price was to begin with.  Truth is we are not on the inside on these things.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

The team is playing pretty well and home games are still pretty empty, I doubt giving the fan base a jolt is worth departing from the plan for KA. We're going to be paying Power and Dahlin big contracts, how many guys you want to give 7M+ on D to?

Chychrun is signed for 2 more years.    
He would have improved the team immediately.  
I get he isn’t a perfect fit for them and probably would be gone when his contract is up 

• Like (+1) 1

The GM's job is to always looking to make the team better. We are on the cusp to making the playoffs, and the GM is too worried about sticking to his plan then trying to make the team better.  I will admit , the deadline has NOT come and gone and he still has a chance to do do that, but IMHO if he does not he is no better then Krueger. No vision to see outside his own plan to make the team better. Include/Exclude whatever trades that happened already, there was obvious upgrades at good prices that could have been had! I will hold out hope we improve, but if we do not KA is showing a not so great trait as a GM. The inability to see outside of his own box to do what he has to do. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

That seems to be a quite reasonable cost.

Would like to have seen Adams be willing to beat that.

Yeah, that's not a lot.  I would have expected a higher price given the McCabe deal.  This should have been doable for the Sabres.

10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I’m not pissed, mad, upset, or discontent we didn’t get him. Glad KA was in on talking it over with AZ. That certainly isn’t doing  “nothing”.

If we make the playoffs with the lineup we have Adams will be vindicated.  

If we fall short, he will be under scrutiny, and he should be. 

It about RESULTS and Adams cannot rest on the fact that the team was in the race in March.   He has had opportunities to improve the team and made decisions to stay the course. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.