As expected Hinostroza called up

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Says who?  Vinny aint gonna help.

Could have called up a rookie with no nhl experience. 

Just now, Weave said:

He’s an NHL level player.  The others? Who knows?  I say Vinnie is more likely to help than one if the kids.

Its trying to win, but it isn’t a big try.

Bingo

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Says who?  Vinny aint gonna help.

A functional NHL player with experience is going to help more than a young and more talented AHL player with limited or no NHL experience. It's not so much as being a positive factor than it is as not being a negative factor in these remaining games. Too much is at stake at this point of the season to bring up players who are not ready for these pressurized games. Vinny can play on a lower line moving up someone else to a higher line. This was the right move. 

As much as I'd like to see Rousek, now is not the time. Hino is a veteran with good speed by NHL speed standards. He has played a bunch with Cozens if you want to revise the 2nd line and move Quinn to the top. Or he can play on Thompson's wing if it's just going to be this week and you want to keep the rest of the team chugging along. We'll see how HCDG sees initially it this morning. (I'd play Hino over Asplund, honestly.)

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

(I'd play Hino over Asplund, honestly.)

Agreed.  I don’t see Asplund providing anything that needs replacing with Tuch’s absence.  Hino at least can play at the pace this offense prefers, and doesn’t have rocks for hands.

• nfreeman changed the title to As expected Hinostroza called up

Adams and Granato are in frequent conversations with Okposo and other players. Which guy do you think the team wanted to see brought up? Vinnie who they know can play at this level and has actually scored big goals on occassion for them (The breakaway goal against the Bolts last year most readily comes to mind.) or a rookie getting his 1st taste ever in the NHL?

This was as no brainer a choice as no brainers come.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Agreed.  I don’t see Asplund providing anything that needs replacing with Tuch’s absence.  Hino at least can play at the pace this offense prefers, and doesn’t have rocks for hands.

Not so sure about the bolded.

Otherwise, I can’t believe people are second guessing this move.

Providing injury  insurance and lineup flexibility is exactly why they signed Hinostroza in the 1st place. A remarkably injury-free season up-front is the only reason he hasn’t been playing most of the games already.

As @Taro T says, when you consider all the factors - experience, ability, position, fit, familiarity, psychology - it’s about a no-brainer a move as there is.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I went to see the Amerks play last night. About 20 minutes before puck drop the PA guy was announcing the inactives for the game. Was surprised to hear Vinnie was inactive. I told my wife 'he's getting traded'. Then part way through the game I checked my phone and saw the Tuch news. It then became clear why Hiney was scratched. Probably was packing his bags for Buffalo as the game started.

• Agree 1

He's currently better than Peterka. 

I understand KA wanting to give Peterka the opportunity to grow.  

That said, I think you have to strongly consider sending JJ down once Tuch is healthy.    They're in the playoff hunt and need to shift their focus from development to winning. 

12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

That said, I think you have to strongly consider sending JJ down once Tuch is healthy.    They're in the playoff hunt and need to shift their focus from development to winning. 

They don't have to send anyone down after the trade deadline...read that but forgot and was just reminded of that in the Ganeday thread.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How long is Tuch out? If he is out an extended period there is this thing called the trade deadline  coming up.  Neidereiter just went for a 2nd in 2024.

Rumor is a broken foot and it's 4-6 weeks, but I guess we will find out sometime soon why he is on IR.

13 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Have said it elsewhere, but nobody is getting sent down at this point.  Tuch won't be back until after the trade deadline.

(The one slightly possible exception is could see a very outside chance that UPL gets sent down.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.