Jakob Chychrun scratched for trade related reasons

Brawndo

48 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I don't see us giving up picks and prospects for a guy like Chychrun or Meier, it just doesn't really make sense unless we get them at a discount which is never happening. This is just my opinion but I see the team staying put until the deadline and if they are very close then possibly getting a veteran Dman but other than that I just don't see a big splash it wouldn't make much sense, we don't have a lack of scoring so would Meier really elevate this team more? Is Chychrun so defensive minded that he would prevent games like today happening? My hope is that we pickup 1 or 2 veteran Dmen like Schenn, Murphy or someone of the like and we at worst use a few 2nd round picks to trade away because I don't see Schenn or Murphy being traded for 1st rounders but maybe I'm wrong.

So Schenn would prevent today from happening but not Chychrun? I really don't get all the Schenn love on this board. 

The Bruins, with all the D they have, are in on Chychrun but apparently he is too expensive for the Sabres. We prefer more picks and 3 or 4 year maybes down the line than a guy just coming into his prime and clearly, by all accounts, becoming really good RIGHT NOW. Well, I guess some teams want to win now, and others prefer to (maybe) win later. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

So Schenn would prevent today from happening but not Chychrun? I really don't get all the Schenn love on this board. 

The Bruins, with all the D they have, are in on Chychrun but apparently he is too expensive for the Sabres. We prefer more picks and 3 or 4 year maybes down the line than a guy just coming into his prime and clearly, by all accounts, becoming really good RIGHT NOW. Well, I guess some teams want to win now, and others prefer to (maybe) win later. 

That is the difference between the Sabres and the Bruins. 

They have more of a winning mentality than Buffalo does. 

I have no problem with the development mentality, but when you spend what, 11 years developing Ullmark and let him slide to one of your biggest rivals over a half million dollars, then I have to read everyone on here complain about goaltending over and over and over again, what really is the process here? 

The Bruins can make Paille useful, and what do the Sabres get? Bjork?

Make a move that helps the team now, like they will, and figure it out later. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, tom webster said:

My concern with sticking to the process is the seeming presumption that progressnus linear. There is no guarantee that next year will go as good as this year with regards to not only their own success but the struggles of some of those teams around it. This could be an opportunity lost.

I get this argument, save for the attitude.

Why shouldn't have I have attitude? Same conversation from 2015 and it was wrong then and is now. 

"This could be an opportunity lost" is some scared talk. It's all panic about potentially missing the playoffs. If this team regressed next season it speaks to fundamental issues throughout the organization that no Jack Eichel, Connor McDavid, Connor Bedard, or Rasmus Dahlin can fix. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Same argument from 2015. Of course all that stuff we gave up in 2015 would be great now. 

We're not ready to hit the accelerator and the overreaction to the Calgary game is reaching a fever pitch. 

What? Lol

We're discussing adding a defenseman that checks some boxes on positional need, affordability, style of play, both long and short term ROI benefits analysis and the cost to acquire such.

What I don't see is your vision of fans on this site with pitchforks and lit torches foaming at the mouth marching to Adam's door demanding this player lol.

I mean, you actually attempt to call people out as over reactionaries by.....wait for it.....over reacting LOL. I get a chuckle out of that, I truly do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Sure, Chycrhun's a terrific point producer...he scores points in about 46 percent of his games (as opposed to 42 percent for Christian Ehrfoff) but two things concern me about him. First his durability. The most games he's ever played in a season in his six year career is 63. Look it up on tsn. He's had a lot of injuries. https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player/jakob-chychrun?player_id=177469

Second his defense. I haven't watched Arizona over the years but there are concerns about his physicality and his actual defense. Arizona of course has been a tire fire throughout his career but I wonder how good he is at clearing the slot and consistency on D. But to me the basic problem is injuries, particularly knee injuries.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Same argument from 2015. Of course all that stuff we gave up in 2015 would be great now. 

We're not ready to hit the accelerator and the overreaction to the Calgary game is reaching a fever pitch. 

I am in between on this.  

I’m not ready to hit the accelerator and pull a Murray, but a move to improve and be serious about the playoffs would help.  One reason I don’t want to deal a bunch of prospects away is because we don’t know what they are.  Savioe and Kulich could be better players than Quinn or Peterka.   We don’t know, so I would be reluctant to deal any of the four until we see more.  That said, we have other prospects and picks that could possibly be used to improve the team right now.  

For now I will call the Calgary game an anomaly due to the schedule, after the west coast trip I think things will get clearer.     

The itch is understandable but no matter what you do, this is not the year the Sabres are going to have a shot. So unless a move helps the team next year and the year beyond I don't see anything happening.

I think/hope they are involved in the trade deadline, but not by giving up the picks and prospects. Unless they can give up a #1 two years out. I'd be up for that.

I am still patient on the ever improving team. I don't care about how long it's been since the playoffs, I'd rather see a team that gets in and stays in for a long time than flash in the pan.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Contempt said:

Schenn who has been waived a bajillion times already in his career has improved in his age 33 year to the point that you are now willing to give up something to get him?

Yes.  Even a 2nd rd pick.

I’d kindly suggest doing some research.  He has been good the last 4 years.  He has multiple Cups, is excellent in the D Zone and brings veteran leadership to a D group desperate for it. Don’t forget our most experienced D is our 22 year old all-star.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’d kindly suggest doing some research.  He has been good the last 4 years.  He has multiple Cups, is excellent in the D Zone and brings veteran leadership to a D group desperate for it. Don’t forget our most experienced D is our 22 year old all-star.

TIL, Dahlin has ~50 more NHL games under his belt than Lyubushkin has.  Did not realize that Buush's career high for a season is 51 games.

🍻

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I am in between on this.  

I’m not ready to hit the accelerator and pull a Murray, but a move to improve and be serious about the playoffs would help.  One reason I don’t want to deal a bunch of prospects away is because we don’t know what they are.  Savioe and Kulich could be better players than Quinn or Peterka.   We don’t know, so I would be reluctant to deal any of the four until we see more.  That said, we have other prospects and picks that could possibly be used to improve the team right now.  

For now I will call the Calgary game an anomaly due to the schedule, after the west coast trip I think things will get clearer.     

I'd trade one of our seconds and a B level prospect in the Bloom category for defense help. 

• Agree 2

It is interesting that Chychrun was spotted flying from St Louis to Denver… which connects to a lot of the Western cities being rumored…plus LA, where the Sabres play Monday. 

For the record - I don’t think it’s the right move. Just intriguing that basically every rumored team out west apparently “isn’t” the team. 

15 hours ago, Brawndo said:

And the Sabres are not in on Him

7 minutes ago, Brad_MI said:

It is interesting that Chychrun was spotted flying from St Louis to Denver… which connects to a lot of the Western cities being rumored…plus LA, where the Sabres play Monday. 

For the record - I don’t think it’s the right move. Just intriguing that basically every rumored team out west apparently “isn’t” the team. 

Reading is fundaMENTAL

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Peterka-Quinn - Savoie - Kulich - Östlund .    Pretty much untouchable in a trade for me right now.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd trade one of our seconds and a B level prospect in the Bloom category for defense help. 

B level prospects and 2nd round picks ain’t gonna get you much this time of year.  Meier and Chychrun for certain will cost at least two assets that will be a gut punch. 

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

B level prospects and 2nd round picks ain’t gonna get you much this time of year.  Meier and Chychrun for certain will cost at least two assets that will be a gut punch. 

But they might get a McCabe, which IMHO is a bigger need than a Chychrun.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

The Bruins should be going for it, they're at the tail end of their Stanley Cup run so them spending multiple 1sts and prospects make sense. I think it's dangerous for a team like Buffalo to go after Chychrun not because he's a bad player but we have a few like him already in Dahlin/Power imo (what I mean by similar is more offensive minded) and I get that some have a problem with Schenn, he has bounced around a bit and his style is outdated but he's the swiss army knife all playoff teams try to get, a guy who leads the league in hits, always up there in blocked shots, plays on the penalty kill and when he's on the ice I don't see those 4-6 breakaways were constantly giving up but I don't think Schenn alone helps that. I think we need another veteran besides him and to be honest it doesn't have to be Schenn, I'd settle for 2 defensive defensemen but again I'd like them to be able to play in multiple scenarios. The Sabres are on the cusp but imagine we picked up Chychrun, spend 2 1sts and trade away say Kulich or Rosen and still miss the playoffs, how would that help in any way?

I am not sure that over paying for someone is a good move when we are trying to build something and adding by subtraction (as in giving up prospects and picks) seems to be complete opposite of what GMKA is trying to do here right now. Chychrun will want to go to a team that can win NOW (clearly we are now at that point yet). I am always amazing when  I watch other teams how they are most often loaded with seasoned veterans with maybe one or two younger players. These teams have veterans as leaders and as their "top" players as the Sabres are opposite at this time and clearly this will take a few years to  correct itself and we will have those  middle-aged leaders throughout the lineup. Right now we really need a good veteran d-man to work with all our young guys back there (McCabe will work...not so sure about Schenn...)

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Enjoy that. 

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

TIL, Dahlin has ~50 more NHL games under his belt than Lyubushkin has.  Did not realize that Buush's career high for a season is 51 games.

🍻

Sabres D NHL experience

1 - Dahlin, Age 22 - 327 games

2 - Lyubuskin, Age 28 - 248 games

3 - Jokiharju, Age 23 - 242 games

4 - Bryson, Age 25 - 154 games

5 - Samuelsson, Age 22 - 90 games

6 - Clague, Age 24 - 79 games

7 - Power, Age 20 - 56 games

Total experience 1196 NHL games

Luke Schenn, age 33 - 915 NHL games over 16 NHL seasons.  He has 18 pts this season and is a +8 on a terrible Van team, averaging over 17 minutes a night.  He is also a Right handed shot.  He also has 39 games of playoff experience.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.