2023 trade speculation and rumors

Eleven

19 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Nah on McCabe.  He isn’t very good and he doesn’t want to be here.  Don’t go backwards Sabres.  

I'm not sure that he wouldn't want to come back. He felt stuck in the losing culture here. He got tired of it, like a number of other players. His sentiments are understandable. Then he signs with Chicago that is now undergoing a major rebuild. I would think that he would be energized coming back to a team that is on the rise. When he left there were no negative comments or whispers about him. It was just time for a change. Putting aside this particular player, it would be beneficial to get a similar type of rugged player added to the roster. Pairing Lyubuskin with a McCabe type of player would be a good addition to the blue line unit. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/28/2023 at 9:35 AM, JohnC said:

I'm not sure that he wouldn't want to come back. He felt stuck in the losing culture here. He got tired of it, like a number of other players. His sentiments are understandable. Then he signs with Chicago that is now undergoing a major rebuild. I would think that he would be energized coming back to a team that is on the rise. When he left there were no negative comments or whispers about him. It was just time for a change. Putting aside this particular player, it would be beneficial to get a similar type of rugged player added to the roster. Pairing Lyubuskin with a McCabe type of player would be a good addition to the blue line unit. 

Ok, McCabe is an upgrade over Bryson but so are a hundred other NHL defensemen.  

I agree that he was a good soldier when he was here.  He was also injury prone and he brings no NHL winning experience.  He was part of the losing culture and I prefer to not bring any of those players back.  We just don’t need it.  

He is a bigger body than Bryson but with no significant accomplishments.   Definitely not worth a #1.  Maybe worth a #2.  I want them to look  for better player.  

Pass.  Move on. 

Edited by Pimlach

9 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Us husbands know what that means happy wife happy life lol

I don't blame him then

Sure, I subscribe to the happy wife motto.  I don’t blame him for leaving. More money, a better destination for his wife,  and he gets away from the losing culture.  

I just don’t think we need him now, he is just another stop-gap player that we will be replacing soon.  We need to think bigger and better.  Prefer a RHD as well.  

Edited by Pimlach

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Ok, McCabe is an upgrade over Bryson but so are a hundred other NHL defensemen.  

I agree that he was a good soldier when he was here.  He was also injury prone and he brings no NHL winning experience.  He was part of the losing culture and I prefer to not bring any of those players back.  We just don’t need it.  

He is a bigger body than Bryson but with no significant accomplishments.   Definitely worth a #1.  Maybe a #2.  I want them to look  for better player.  

Pass.  Move on. 

I don't understand the argument that a player was part of the losing culture so that disqualifies his return, especially if he is an upgrade. Mitts, Dahlin, Skinner, Okposo, Girgs etc were also members of the team when the organization was run shabbily. It wasn't the players' fault that this was a dysfunctional organization that had little chance to be competitive. 

I don't know if McCabe is available. That really isn't the issue for me. What I would like to see is a McCabe caliber of player added to the mix to buttress our defensive unit. The cost shouldn't be too extravagant like a Chycrun deal would be. Our GM added Lyubuskin to the unit without giving up any assets. That was a solid pickup. Now that he seems to be fully healthy that addition looks even better than when he was plagued with nagging injuries. 

• Like (+1) 3

What's weird for me personally is for the first time in like forever, I'm actually nervous of giving up any of our young guys in order to get some high priced Vet that could be just OK. Then viewing the traded prospects having solid careers elsewhere.

I completely get the gamble. Sabres fans suffered for so long. I'm in my 60's and attended games in their first month of existence as a kid ( Oct. 1970 ). 

I just don't remember ever having such a deep, young pipeline of youth. Locker room seems so together and drama free now. An ascending team.

If it must be, just get it right. I''ll still probably squirm when I see who's leaving.  Wonder if anyone else has the same feelings. 

Edited by Night Train
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Night Train said:

What's weird for me personally is for the first time in like forever, I'm actually nervous of giving up any of our young guys in order to get some high priced Vet that could be just OK. Then viewing the traded prospects having solid careers elsewhere.

I completely get the gamble. Sabres fans suffered for so long. I'm in my 60's and attended games in their first month of existence as a kid ( Oct. 1970 ). 

I just don't remember ever having such a deep, young pipeline of youth. Locker room seems so together and drama free now. An ascending team.

If it must be, just get it right. I''ll still probably squirm when I see who's leaving.  Wonder if anyone else has the same feelings. 

I do as well. But no decision is with out risk. Stay the course, will this existing roster make the playoffs this season or next? Make a move, will it be enough, or as you question, will it be the correct move?

In the end, if they are fighting for a playoff spot come a couple weeks before dead line day, I say make the moves necessary to be in the fight to the end of the season.

The question then becomes....long term acquisition, which comes with a greater price tag, or, short term acquisition, which is less cost adverse?

I say both if it can be done without gutting the chemistry of the existing roster. For example, Meier rumor, who am I willing to part with for that longer term type investment? Quinn? JJP? A top end pipe line talent and draft capital? It's a tough call to be sure, but, the chance for the core of this roster to gain invaluable playoff experience is far more important to myself then retaining some asset capital, imho.

It depends on Adam's and his staff, what do they deem invaluable going forward?

21 minutes ago, Night Train said:

A lot of what you said is why I am 100% fine if no moves are made.  Is every young guy on the Sabres going to turn out to be good? probably not.  Is there anyone out that that might make the team better? probably. BUT, the team is heading in the right direction now it seems...this team SHOULD be better later in the year than they are now, and likely to be better next year than they are now even with no moves. 

So if you make a deal, with who you bring in, who goes out, what the cost of the deal is (assets and more importantly a contract that may impact who you can keep a year or two from now)...its a roll of the dice, a gamble to not make a move, as it is to actually make a move.  With that said, and with how I think the current team is taking shape, I would rather make the gamble to NOT make a change rather than take the gamble to make one.

Now next year or the year after, that is a different story.

Edited by mjd1001

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Until someone gets hurt and you’re going to wish you had some veteran depth that doesn’t disrupt the future. 

If someone gets hurt I expect the next man up to fill in. It’s a hard balance though. Playoff experience (even if it costs an asset) will undoubtedly help this team. Filling in for an injured player also gives experience in the face of adversity. I just don’t want to send assets for a month-long stint with the team.

• Agree 2

I know it’s been a long time for all of us but the Sabres are entering that period were a few things change;

1) Any long term additions need to be top tier upgrades. Six or seven of their top nine forwards should be pretty much set for the next two or three years. If Krebs continues to embrace his current role that’s another one. 
Assuming a couple of veteran forwards with a defensive edge to them, there will be room for two, maybe three prospects in the top thirteen/fourteen.

2) As good as Quinn and JJP have played, they demonstrate how most prospects are not ready to be main pieces on a cup contender. Therefore, any prospect that won’t be able to make an immediate impact is just a chip that may be used to acquire something that will have an immediate impact.

3) They will likely trade players that are actually good. It’s not about amassing the twenty most talented players, it’s about building a team. You need players that do the little things, players that will occasionally contribute during a grueling eighty-two game schedule and players that will understand they may sit for a deadline day acquisition once the playoff start when players are acquired at the deadline. 

4) For some of you, welcome to a brave new world. Buckle up, it can be fun.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I know it’s been a long time for all of us but the Sabres are entering that period were a few things change;

1) Any long term additions need to be top tier upgrades. Six or seven of their top nine forwards should be pretty much set for the next two or three years. If Krebs continues to embrace his current role that’s another one. 
Assuming a couple of veteran forwards with a defensive edge to them, there will be room for two, maybe three prospects in the top thirteen/fourteen.

2) As good as Quinn and JJP have played, they demonstrate how most prospects are not ready to be main pieces on a cup contender. Therefore, any prospect that won’t be able to make an immediate impact is just a chip that may be used to acquire something that will have an immediate impact.

3) They will likely trade players that are actually good. It’s not about amassing the twenty most talented players, it’s about building a team. You need players that do the little things, players that will occasionally contribute during a grueling eighty-two game schedule and players that will understand they may sit for a deadline day acquisition once the playoff start when players are acquired at the deadline. 

4) For some of you, welcome to a brave new world. Buckle up, it can be fun.

I think you're jumping the gun a tad; I doubt any combination of acquisitions would make us a Cup Contender which is when you start using young assets.

• Like (+1) 2

Shayna Goldman was on with Marty and Duffer talking about the deadline and floated the name of Brock Boeser as someone who could be acquired cheaply and boost the 2nd line.

Im not into a move like that at all. Would much rather let JJ and Jack keep getting better in those roles than bring in a slight upgrade short-term.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Shayna Goldman was on with Marty and Duffer talking about the deadline and floated the name of Brock Boeser as someone who could be acquired cheaply and boost the 2nd line.

Im not into a move like that at all. Would much rather let JJ and Jack keep getting better in those roles than bring in a slight upgrade short-term.

No interest in Boeser for what the Canucks apparently want: 1st and top prospect.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.