Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

You folks know more than me with actual names.

Personally, I'm totally convinced whether now or during the off-season the priority should be Defensemen. Way too weak. Non-physical, at present. They let players just stand in front of our Goalies without any fear of being moved out. 

I like the young forwards here and  coming up. Don't wish to see them blocked by some cap sucking newbie. 

• Like (+1) 2

If compensation is considered fair, who do you most want the Sabres to get?

I don't want them to overpay greatly for any one player. There are a few prospects (Östlund, Johnson, Poltapov, probably more if I actually did more thinking) I wouldn't mind giving up for a higher class of player

35 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Can anyone give me a good Defensemen listing on who may be available ? 

Sabres can score and it only will get better. They struggle on D and don't clear out traffic in front of our Goalies. 

If not now, this summer. 

Edmundson, Schenn and Chychrun to name 3

13 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Edmundson is listed as a scratch for Montreal tonight. I thought he would be in their top 6. Maybe trade related?

Oh, he is being traded for sure.  Probably sooner than later

Just now, thewookie1 said:

Watching the Stadium series game; they said Carolina needs a shooter for their PP.  Would you trade them Olofsson if you could get their 1st?

Now obviously I would only do it if we intended to flip the 1st elsewhere for a different kind of piece but its an interesting idea.

If we could flip Olofsson for a 1st and then use that first plus to get a younger goal scorer with more time on his deal, I'd be very interested if I was KA.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Watching the Stadium series game; they said Carolina needs a shooter for their PP.  Would you trade them Olofsson if you could get their 1st?

Now obviously I would only do it if we intended to flip the 1st elsewhere for a different kind of piece but its an interesting idea.

Ollie for a D prospect and a 1st

Edited by North Buffalo

Speaking of weaponizing cap space.

The Wild got a fourth round pick from the Leafs for retaining 25% of ROR’s salary. Because of the structure of his deal it only cost them $75K in actual dollars for that pick,

I am happy the Sabres didn’t help the Leafs but there are many other deals like that to be had, and some may net more than 4th rounders.

42 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Edmundson is listed as a scratch for Montreal tonight. I thought he would be in their top 6. Maybe trade related?

According to the Athletic he is injured.

But Moe-ray-all is definitely listening to offers for him.  No word on whether the injury is the same back injury he was dealing with last year or if this is something else.  Also, no data on the severity.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I would do it, warp the 1st up in a package for Meier's for the playoff hunt this season, then give him his 10 mil 1 yr QO since Dahlins new contract won't kick in until 24, let Meiers work with us until the deadline then move him for a bundle. But that's just me 🤣 

47 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I would do it, warp the 1st up in a package for Meier's for the playoff hunt this season, then give him his 10 mil 1 yr QO since Dahlins new contract won't kick in until 24, let Meiers work with us until the deadline then move him for a bundle. But that's just me 🤣 

Interesting idea...I'm still trying to understand what the request price is for Meier.  Fellow Swiss, Fiala, got a B prospect and firkstlast year for the Wild.  Fiala actually has better numbers than Meier.  I think Rosen and first should get him.

13 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Sabres need to upgrade their 6D bad. It doesn’t have to be a big name. 

I say sell Quinn/Mittelstadt while value is decent. I just don’t see them making a huge jump.  I doubt they move for chemistry reasons tho  

No way they're trading either for a 5/6D.  Mittelstadt has been one of our best players lately and Quinn has also been very good.  Quinn is a potential 30+ goal scorer and is leaps and bounds better right now than Peterka, who  looks a little lost

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

I say sell Quinn/Mittelstadt while value is decent. I just don’t see them making a huge jump.  I doubt they move for chemistry reasons tho  

You don't see the kid who has jumped in the pervious 2 leagues in his second season, jumping in the NHL? Even though he's better than JJP?

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

We need the confused emoji back. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Ya, I don't see Quinn going anywhere. He's young, but there's a lot to work with there.

Mitts on the other hand, if his body fills out some, I can see as a very affordable 3rd line winger. Hard to say for me any ways, some games he's there, some he's not.

I've come to the conclusion that a 4 thru 6 experienced d is what they should be targeting. Scoring isn't an issue this season, defense is and should be addressed, with minimal cost I'd imagine.

Edited by Scottysabres

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Scoring isn't an issue this season, defense is and should be addressed, with minimal cost I'd imagine.

No scoring isn't an issue but our forwards defense is. It's not all a  problem with the defensemen but a problem with our defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.