GDT: 12/31/2022, 1:00 PM ET: 🏒 Buffalo Sabres @ Boston Bruins; MSG, WGR

Doohickie

4 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Everyone likes to crap on Dan as a play by play but I watched the Boston feed and it sounded like 300 one word sentences. McAvoy. Puck. Pass. Tuch. Pass. Steal. Offside. Marchand. Etc. Incredibly slow and lacking description. I think we have it pretty good.

The belly laughs were annoying.  I get they were doing it when something awesome (whether it was a Bruin or Sabre making the play), but it was too much… They definitely like Dahlin’s game.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I went to college there from 78 to 82 - they didn't have garbage plates then.  The best pizza in town was probably Pizza Hut.  The wings, if you could find them, were breaded like KFC and fried and dry.  

They did have "The House of Guitars" in Irondequoit.   That place made up for a lot of otherwise uncoolness.   

My friends begged to come on Buffalo Road Trips with me on weekends for partying at Locker Room, Gabels, Mickey Rats, Mulligans, ...   Make a run to Canada for real Canadian beer (there was no craft beer back than).  Bring back Bocce's Pizza, and then wings and subs from anywhere else you can stop at.  

Yes, I realize that Rochester got a lot cooler since then.  

Yep.  I grew up in Buffalo, went to college near Albany (RPI) from 80-84.  There were so many things that showed up after that...The Original Pizza Logs, Paula's Donuts, a few other things that escape me at the moment. 

One of the ultra cool things that I've been blessed with here in Texas is Buffalo Bros, a bar that's a pretty good approximation of a old Buffalo tavern dropped here into Fort Worth, 3 miles from my house, so a lot of the Buffalo foods I would otherwise miss are available to me whenever I'm in the mood, and they're also the DFW Bills Backers bar, so when the Bills play pretty much everyone there is from WNY.  (When the Bills played the Cowboys on Thanksgiving in 2019, they had a party the night before and had 700 people there.  Forget the headline, this was Fort Worth, not Dallas; I'm in pic 54.)

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Knightrider said:

I live in Boston, so I had to watch the Boston feed. (While at one of my kids hockey games in Worcester.) It was entertaining. They definitely went into the game respectful, and said Buffalo is on the verge of a very strong 6-7 year run.

16 -17 year run 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They went toe to toe with the best team in hockey, got some crap reffing along the way to allow Marchand to score with 6 men on the ice, a 5 on 3 after that along with a double minor killed off, then battled back to tie it and win it in OT as Cozens left old man Bergeron in the dust before dishing it off to Tuch for the game winner.

Pretty damn nice...this team is afraid of nobody and no one.

Disagree on the refs. They were pretty lucky they didn't blow it with the 2 high stick calls. They were both flagrant and idk what Lybushkin was trying to do but it was a dumb play with his stick and could have cost them the game. 

But ya, the rest, for sure. Cozens was really good. This is his coming out year for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

And ROR winning the Stanley Cup MVP is four years in the past. TNT is worth more to the Sabres than ROR is to STL right now. Therefore, years later it seems the Sabres won the trade.

If the Sabres won a Stanley Cup after trading for a player, I would be ecstatic.

The Sabres traded away a player for Thompson, and I am ecstatic.

This is the very definition of a win-win situation.

Edited by RangerDave
Oops
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yep.  I grew up in Buffalo, went to college near Albany (RPI) from 80-84.  There were so many things that showed up after that...The Original Pizza Logs, Paula's Donuts, a few other things that escape me at the moment. 

One of the ultra cool things that I've been blessed with here in Texas is Buffalo Bros, a bar that's a pretty good approximation of a old Buffalo tavern dropped here into Fort Worth, 3 miles from my house, so a lot of the Buffalo foods I would otherwise miss are available to me whenever I'm in the mood, and they're also the DFW Bills Backers bar, so when the Bills play pretty much everyone there is from WNY.  (When the Bills played the Cowboys on Thanksgiving in 2019, they had a party the night before and had 700 people there.  Forget the headline, this was Fort Worth, not Dallas; I'm in pic 54.)

When the Bills played the Cowboys on Thanksgiving in 2019, I was at the Stadium with a bunch of Bills fans.  We took over the place in the 4th quarter.  Celebrated with the Bills afterwards.  

• Awesome! (+1) 4

2 hours ago, ... said:

Late to the thread and I'm sure to say nothing new but this was a statement game. The 5 on 3 aside, the refs in the third were definitely homers. UPL gets better every game. It's great that scoring can come from anywhere in any given game.

The increase in their confidence was notable at the beginning of the second; as if they shed their "respect" for Boston and decided they were an equally competent team. 

On the Boston feed one of the talking heads said maybe toward the end of the first if the Sabres could learn to play defense they'd be scary good. I think this is the wrong take - I think it's not so much learning to play defense as it is gaining more experience.

Great game!

It was the right take at the time. After the second, they were talking about how the Sabres HAD learned to play defense… How the Sabres were taking away all of the time and space the B’s were accustomed to having this year.

• Like (+1) 3

I had to leave to drive down to Ellicottville, I got home after the game; but listened to it on the radio in the truck. I recorded it when I left, but when I went to pick up where I left off, the damn DVR stopped at 3 minutes to go. 

Luckily I caught the encore recording

Dan sounded very exciting on the radio call from what I had heard 

The refs were absolute trash this game, just unacceptable 

This team is Scary Good! 

UPPPPL looking good again, I wonder if Comrie stays in the AHL, they can't have 3 active goalies can they? 

F Boston, all things Boston sports and F Tom Brady... Still. 

Playoff push is on! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Disagree on the refs. They were pretty lucky they didn't blow it with the 2 high stick calls. They were both flagrant and idk what Lybushkin was trying to do but it was a dumb play with his stick and could have cost them the game. 

But ya, the rest, for sure. Cozens was really good. This is his coming out year for sure. 

So it was cool Marchand scored while there were 6 Bruins on the ice for like 3 seconds?

Jost also got highsticked flagrantly in the face during the end of the Bruins penalty and no call...

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Check out Peterka's 4 minute double minor for high sticking. The Bruin tripped him causing his stick to raise up. 

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Knightrider said:

It was the right take at the time. After the second, they were talking about how the Sabres HAD learned to play defense… How the Sabres were taking away all of the time and space the B’s were accustomed to having this year.

Correct, they said that. I disagree it was the right take because they can't "learn how to play defense" in a single game period. They already knew how - the key was believing they could do it which relates to my comment on how it took them the first to realize they can compete with the Bs.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I went to college there from 78 to 82 - they didn't have garbage plates then.  The best pizza in town was probably Pizza Hut.  The wings, if you could find them, were breaded like KFC and fried and dry.  

They did have "The House of Guitars" in Irondequoit.   That place made up for a lot of otherwise uncoolness.   

My friends begged to come on Buffalo Road Trips with me on weekends for partying at Locker Room, Gabels, Mickey Rats, Mulligans, ...   Make a run to Canada for real Canadian beer (there was no craft beer back than).  Bring back Bocce's Pizza, and then wings and subs from anywhere else you can stop at.  

Yes, I realize that Rochester got a lot cooler since then.  

Rochester is a sneaky great food town. There's some amazing places to eat and to shop at.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'm no expert but our Sabres simply didn't allow the Bruins to intimidate/make them look like sissies the way they have in the recent past. These kids are learning and growing. Awesome to see !! ..... Also Razors quote (along the same line) .. gotta paraphrase here.... "ya push back and ya hit em back and that stuff goes away" ...  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Sure, great.

Now figure out how to do that without getting your ass kicked, Peyton.

When he skated off the ice pumping his fists, did he look like someone who lost the fight?

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

How the heck can anyone complain about the 5-3? They couldn’t not call those, cuz, ya know, they were obvious penalties. I thought there was plenty of other stuff that was way more egregious. The handful of Tuch’s jersey in overtime for one thing. I didn’t even know about Marchand being the sixth guy until now.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Really. So Marchand scoring with 6 guys on the ice clearly for several seconds was cool? That's not flagrant? Jost getting highsticked right in front of the ref and no call was cool?

Edited by matter2003

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.