GDT: 12/31/2022, 1:00 PM ET: 🏒 Buffalo Sabres @ Boston Bruins; MSG, WGR

Doohickie

3 hours ago, Derrico said:

Agreed.  Anyone know why he left?  He’s a longtime poster.

I follow both darksabre and josie on Twitter.  When they broke up, Josie stopped posting here out of recognition that this was more "his space."  I'm not sure why he doesn't post here anymore, other than I wonder if people asked him about Josie too much (I never did.)  It was not an awful breakup and they are still friends.  Josie is engaged to someone else.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 hours ago, steveoath said:

I do think it's reviewable by the officials if they choose to review it.  If it were pointed out to them, I think they can "get together" and talk it through; not sure if they can do video review.  For the pic I posted you can see the player Marchand replaced was nowhere near within 5 feet of the bench when he hit the ice (which is the NHL rule).  From your link:

Players may be changed at any time during the play from the players’ bench provided that the player or players leaving the ice shall be within five feet (5') of his players’ bench and out of the play before the change is made. Refer also to Rule 71 – Premature Substitution. At the discretion of the on-ice officials, should a substituting player come onto the ice before his teammate is within the five foot (5’) limit of the players’ bench (and therefore clearly causing his team to have too many players on the ice), then a bench minor penalty may be assessed.

When a player is retiring from the ice surface and is within the five foot (5’) limit of his players’ bench, and his substitute is on the ice, then the retiring player shall be considered off the ice for the purpose of Rule 70 – Leaving Bench. 

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Hockey Guy on YouTube said Bruins were way offside on goal #1 too. He was surprised the Sabres didn't challenge.

Nope, they were fine.

image.thumb.png.fb6a11d231c5704107d4d021a3943819.png

The reachback a moment later to corral the puck may have influenced Shannon's opinion:

image.thumb.png.91082ec277fd251800eed6a73612cd05.png

FWIW, Shannon's rooting interests are 1. Vancouver; 2. Boston; 3. Dallas, and Vancouver sucks this year so he's on the Bruins bandwagon, so that might have colored it a bit too.

Edited by Doohickie

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

He can't w/out drawing an extra 2 minute minor.

46.6 Helmets - No player may remove his helmet prior to engaging in a fight. If he should do so, he shall be assessed a two minute minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. Helmets that come off in the course of and resulting from the altercation will not result in a penalty to either player.

Interesting.  Thanks for updating me. I recall when teams had designated fighters and removed their helmets.   With all the health issues that followed I can see why they made this rule.  

That outlet ally-oop by Power to JJP leading to a B penalty early on in the 3rd didn't amount to anything but man what a play after the Sabres were hemmed in a bit to flip the ice like that and go on the powerplay. 

Like I said, nothing amounted from it but color me impressed with the young all powerful one! 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Norcal said:

That outlet ally-oop by Power to JJP leading to a B penalty early on in the 3rd didn't amount to anything but man what a play after the Sabres were hemmed in a bit to flip the ice like that and go on the powerplay. 

Like I said, nothing amounted from it but color me impressed with the young all powerful one! 

The Sabres are blessed with two D-men like Dahlin and Power. Most teams don't have even one of their caliber.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

I thought that too but no replays to confirm.

They were onside.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Nope, they were fine.

image.thumb.png.fb6a11d231c5704107d4d021a3943819.png

The reachback a moment later to corral the puck may have influenced Shannon's opinion:

image.thumb.png.91082ec277fd251800eed6a73612cd05.png

FWIW, Shannon's rooting interests are 1. Vancouver; 2. Boston; 3. Dallas, and Vancouver sucks this year so he's on the Bruins bandwagon, so that might have colored it a bit too.

That rat got away with an elbow to Krebs head after Krebs delivered a legal check on him, of course. 

Hard nosed play I guess.

Krebs shoulda mashed an elbow thru that schnoz of his then apparently. 

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I was away last night and followed updates on my phone. I was shocked when I saw 4-3 Buffalo, final. Had not checked it in like 20  minutes thinking they had lost. 

So I'm going to watch some of the first period on MSG replay and then catch the third. Can't watch two whole hockey games today 

The third period and OT will make you whole again 

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, Norcal said:

That rat got away with an elbow to Krebs head after Krebs delivered a legal check on him, of course. 

Hard nosed play I guess.

I think if Krebs is on this team long term he's going to develop into "that guy" who likes the rough stuff.  Cozens too (and he's 4" taller) but I see Cozens as a playmaker first and a physical presence second.  The role Krebs is carving out as an energy guy will naturally involve more physicality.

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think if Krebs is on this team long term he's going to develop into "that guy" who likes the rough stuff.  Cozens too (and he's 4" taller) but I see Cozens as a playmaker first and a physical presence second.  The role Krebs is carving out as an energy guy will naturally involve more physicality.

I agree. He throws some checks and mixes it up a little more all the time.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, matter2003 said:

So it was cool Marchand scored while there were 6 Bruins on the ice for like 3 seconds?

Jost also got highsticked flagrantly in the face during the end of the Bruins penalty and no call...

I did not think the refs were biased in any way. I was watching Philly L.A. later and that had some horrible ref'ing in it. In this game I don't think it was bad or favoured either team. 

18 hours ago, grinreaper said:

Check out Peterka's 4 minute double minor for high sticking. The Bruin tripped him causing his stick to raise up. 

Disagree. 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They do that in order to create value for local rights fees. Why would NESN or MSG pay for local TV rights if fans can do an end-around and watch the games elsewhere? It sucks but what are you going to do? (Well, what I did was snoop around the interwebs a little.)

Thanks @PromoTheRobot. So it is about $$, amirite? 

I understand what you are saying. My issue is that I am sitting 90 miles from Boston and paying money for an ESPN+ subscription to watch the Sabres on the MSG feed but I can't because NESN. On the bright side, I didn't have to listen to the insufferable Jack Edwards.

34 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Hard nosed play I guess.

The third period and OT will make you whole again 

Where does the elbow end and the schnoz begin?

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SwampD said:

When he skated off the ice pumping his fists, did he look like someone who lost the fight?

Except he's the only one who took a hard direct punch to the head, there was blood sprayed on the ice and he was leaking enough to have to go off the ice for repairs. The fist pump was entertaining as I said. You don't have to win every hockey fight. 

Now when we sign Clifton in free agency (I'm throwing it out into the universe cause it's a thing I'd try to do and want out there) they'll have to kiss and make up 🙂

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Really. So Marchand scoring with 6 guys on the ice clearly for several seconds was cool? That's not flagrant? Jost getting highsticked right in front of the ref and no call was cool?

It's funny but I do notice Sabres fans almost always complain about refs favouring the Bruins, and yet Bruins fans frequently feel the league is against them and the refs almost always favour the other team. This has gone on for years if not decades. 

In my opinion, after watching hockey for a really really long time there are only 2 teams that really get regular favourable refereeing and that is Toronto and Montreal, especially at home. Otherwise home teams get away with a few things now and again from some refs, young refs tend to call more chintzy stuff that could be let go, and teams in black do tend to get more penalties than teams in white, that is true (as studies have actually shown for all sports). The rest of the perceptions are fan bias. 

It was a good game. They lost a lot of one on one puck battles but they had good goaltending and they found a way to win. Enjoy it. 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Except he's the only one who took a hard direct punch to the head, there was blood sprayed on the ice and he was leaking enough to have to go off the ice for repairs. The fist pump was entertaining as I said. You don't have to win every hockey fight. 

Now when we sign Clifton in free agency (I'm throwing it out into the universe cause it's a thing I'd try to do and want out there) they'll have to kiss and make up 🙂

Krebs got a shot in. Just didn't draw blood.

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Krebs got a shot in. Just didn't draw blood.

The blood came from his helmetless head hitting the ice.

Why was he helmetless?

Well, because Clifton pried it off his head before slamming his head to the ice. 

All for a legal hit, aided by the referee. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

So, while watching the replay, I realized that the 6(7?) men on the ice, for their go ahead goal, probably didn't change anything in that game. Yes the Sabres would have gotten a power play, but they hadn't scored yet on it, and Boston's kill was really good. The only difference is that it would have been 2-2 heading into OT.

45 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's funny but I do notice Sabres fans almost always complain about refs favouring the Bruins, and yet Bruins fans frequently feel the league is against them and the refs almost always favour the other team. This has gone on for years if not decades. 

In my opinion, after watching hockey for a really really long time there are only 2 teams that really get regular favourable refereeing and that is Toronto and Montreal, especially at home. Otherwise home teams get away with a few things now and again from some refs, young refs tend to call more chintzy stuff that could be let go, and teams in black do tend to get more penalties than teams in white, that is true (as studies have actually shown for all sports). The rest of the perceptions are fan bias. 

It was a good game. They lost a lot of one on one puck battles but they had good goaltending and they found a way to win. Enjoy it. 

How is having 6 men on the ice fan bias? It's literally a non judgement call. There is no judgement when you count 1,2,3,4,5,6 skaters on the ice for several seconds.

Talk about a ridiculous view 

Edited by matter2003
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.