Are the Sabres out of the running for the playoffs?

inkman

Are the Sabres out of the playoff race?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Sabres out of the playoff race

• Yes
    • No

43 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here is the biggest issue.  As you say we are done with the West for the most part.  Did you know that 5 of 6 wins against top 3 divisional teams are against Western Conference teams?  We have one win this season against an Eastern playoff team and that was an OT win against Boston.  We have yet to beat Car, Tor, TB, NYR, or NJ.  

Even if we play to the same level against our competition that we have played to all year, we'll finish out of the playoffs with 89 points.  We are 6-12-1 against playoff teams, 11-6-2 against bubble teams, and 11-4-1 against the bad teams.   

My point still stands.  We have to play better against better competition in order to make the playoffs and we honestly don't have the defense or goaltending to do it.   If KA is serious about the playoffs this year, he can no longer sit on his hands.  He must get D help now.  Also it wouldn't hurt if DG can find away to get the PP working again.

He hasn't sat on his hands. 

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here is the biggest issue.  As you say we are done with the West for the most part.  Did you know that 5 of 6 wins against top 3 divisional teams are against Western Conference teams?  We have one win this season against an Eastern playoff team and that was an OT win against Boston.  We have yet to beat Car, Tor, TB, NYR, or NJ.  

Even if we play to the same level against our competition that we have played to all year, we'll finish out of the playoffs with 89 points.  We are 6-12-1 against playoff teams, 11-6-2 against bubble teams, and 11-4-1 against the bad teams.   

My point still stands.  We have to play better against better competition in order to make the playoffs and we honestly don't have the defense or goaltending to do it.   If KA is serious about the playoffs this year, he can no longer sit on his hands.  He must get D help now.  Also it wouldn't hurt if DG can find away to get the PP working again.

And if none of the other team's around the Sabres play better than they currently have to date, the 0.542 you are expecting the Sabres to finish with will be good enough to be in a virtual tie w/ the Wings for the 2nd WC.  Nobody expects all the other WC challengers to fail to pick up the pace, but somehow it is implied the Sabres won't either.  Look, if the Sabres don't play playoff hockey down the stretch, they don't deserve to get in.  It's that simple.  And if THAT was the pont of your prior post, then why didn't you say that rather than decry something as being horrible?  (Your post read as 'OMG, they have to play a lot of playoff caliber teams & borderline teams,' but when one actually looks at it, they play just about exactly how many as they're supposed to play based on the math.  Heck, they actually have 1 extra game against a bad team (probably because the BJ game got tacked on at the end) so it actually isn't horrible.)

Reality is, the WC teams will be close to an NHL 0.600 and any teams that get there will be in.  Which means at least 2 teams will be picking up their play because there are only 6 teams there now & only more that's close to that pace.  

And, yeah, would like to see a D-man brought in to help, but don't want to see it at an overpay.  This team, even as currently constructed will be a playoff team next year.  Get the goaltending solid & they're a legit contender next year.

As @Thorny keeps saying, when you play teams matters.  The only game that should be chalked up as an automatic L is Carolina.  They just don't match up well against them.  They CAN do this.  Would be pleasently mildly surprised, as still see them finishing ~91-92 points, but won't be shocked if they get in.

9 minutes ago, steveoath said:

March schedule looks tough. Hard games and a lot in a month.

Screenshot_20230219_165611_NHL.jpg

The hidden sneaky part is playing the Isles twice as the second game a back-to-back with travel (albeit only cross-state).

Meanwhile, the Isles have 2 days off before the matchup on the 7th. (They're also on the 2nd of a back-to-back on the 25th.)

The schedule for those potential 4-point swing games favor the Isles. It'll feel all the better when the Sabres win.

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The hidden sneaky part is playing the Isles twice as the second game a back-to-back with travel (albeit only cross-state).

Meanwhile, the Isles have 2 days off before the matchup on the 7th. (They're also on the 2nd of a back-to-back on the 25th.)

The schedule for those potential 4-point swing games favor the Isles. It'll feel all the better when the Sabres win.

The islanders are back to back and traveling for the 2nd meeting. 

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What action has any team taken in season to bolster their defense?

I think there's been 1 defender of noted traded since October. 

There have been 4 relevant trades so far in Bear, Timmins, Del Zotto, Megna. I'd have taken Bear for a 5th or Megna for a 4th.  Connor Timmons has done a nice job for Toronto since being acquired from AZ for a fair prospect in November.  He'd have certainly been an upgrade over Bryson and Clague. 

Not one of these deals would have hurt our future at all and guys like Bear and Timmons are young enough to be part of the team long-term if there play warranted it.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

There have been 4 relevant trades so far in Bear, Timmins, Del Zotto, Megna. I'd have taken Bear for a 5th or Megna for a 4th.

I can't even fathom wasting a 5th on megna. 

Bear is okay ish 

Del Zotto no

Timmins, that I like. 

So you have 1 trade since October that might improve the D and you're calling out Adams for "sitting on his hands"

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I can't even fathom wasting a 5th on megna. 

Bear is okay ish 

Del Zotto no

Timmins, that I like. 

So you have 1 trade since October that might improve the D and you're calling out Adams for "sitting on his hands"

3 or the 4 would have helped our team whether you like the player or not, because 3 of the 4 including Megna are better then what we are playing on the 3rd pair.  This also goes back to his in action when we were down to 3 starters on D.  He has a playoff possible team and he needs to help the D to get it there.  It's past time to fix it.  Bryson, Bush, Clague and even Joki aren't part of the core, moving them for upgrades does nothing but help this team today and long-term.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

3 or the 4 would have helped our team whether you like the player or not, because 3 of the 4 including Megna are better then what we are playing on the 3rd pair.  This also goes back to his in action when we were down to 3 starters on D.  He has a playoff possible team and he needs to help the D to get it there.  It's past time to fix it.  Bryson, Bush, Clague and even Joki aren't part of the core, moving them for upgrades does nothing but help this team today and long-term.

If you think Megna helps anything we're not having the same conversation. 

Del zotto and Megna aren't upgrades. Bear might be. Timmons is. 

Again, he can't get every player. There's 31 other teams. 

Is there plenty of evidence to suggest that adding a Luke Schenn level player - or any player for that matter - at the trade deadline is likely to improve the team?

Bear with me here, if you look at all the “buyers” at the trade deadline, do most of their records actually show improvement down the stretch?

Or do we just fall into accepting the “just do something Darcy” hype?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

There have been 4 relevant trades so far in Bear, Timmins, Del Zotto, Megna. I'd have taken Bear for a 5th or Megna for a 4th.  Connor Timmons has done a nice job for Toronto since being acquired from AZ for a fair prospect in November.  He'd have certainly been an upgrade over Bryson and Clague. 

Not one of these deals would have hurt our future at all and guys like Bear and Timmons are young enough to be part of the team long-term if their play warranted it.

To my eyes, there have been zero relevant trades in the regular season. Maybe one in Bear…you can talk me into that. Maybe. 

Megna has played once since the trade (Seattle has played six games). He’s a 30 year old part time player.  

This is Del Zotto’s third consecutive season in the AHL. 

Bear has played better than I expected, but has only dressed for 37 of 56 games. In hindsight, this could have worked…but he isn’t the style of player people are looking for. He would really only play over Bryson or Clague in this lineup on the third pair. 

Timmons has dressed for 21 games all season (was traded in Nov).  One game since Jan28th.

There is really nothing Adams could have done to improve the defense since opening night. I’m not jealous of any of the above  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Is there plenty of evidence to suggest that adding a Luke Schenn level player - or any player for that matter - at the trade deadline is likely to improve the team?

Bear with me here, if you look at all the “buyers” at the trade deadline, do most of their records actually show improvement down the stretch?

That's a great set of Qs. And 1's we need Adams to have the right answer for.

We know the week ahead is a tough one for the Sabres. Florida on Friday on a back to back with Tampa Thursday will be challenging. That one would send a message to the Panthers if they win.

The other WC teams’ schedules for the next 7 days are:

Pens- Monday vs Isles, Thursday vs Edm, Saturday @ Blues, Sunday vs Tampa

-Blues are the weakest opponent, vs Tampa on B2B + travel although Tampa is in the same boat

Isles- Monday @ Pens, Wednesday vs Jets, Friday vs LAK, Sunday @ Jets

-Spread out schedule, Jets and Kings are tough

Caps- Tuesday vs Wings, Thursday vs Ducks, Saturday vs NYR, Sunday @ Sabres

-Sabres get them on a B2B + travel

Panthers- Monday vs Ducks, Friday vs Sabres

-light schedule, only 4 points available

Red Wings- Tuesday @ Caps, Thursday vs Rangers, Saturday vs Tampa

- 3 games spread out but vs superior opponents

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

I feel like it’s usually pretty spotty but every once in a while you see a Gaborik/Hossa/Neal type gem that really moves mountains.

It can happen, no reason we can’t be that team: once we are trying to go from contender to THE contender. 

We aren’t in a position as a bubble team for that to happen imo. Short of adding Hellebuyck

6 minutes ago, MBD said:

Ullmark was with the Sabres for 6 years and his first season with Boston (last season) he was basically the same guy he was in Buffalo.  This, his 8th season, is far and away his best.  How long do you wait for a guy to develop?

Considering that the Sabres played playoff level hockey when Ullmark started.  He was developed.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.