OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

We actually got snow in my town (Jacksonville, NC) yesterday but the ground was too warm to allow it to stick. This has still been the warmest winter in recent memory though. We've maybe had a month's worth of cold days sprinkled in from November through yesterday.

Good luck to everyone down in NYC, Jersey, etc. Looks like you guys are in for a helluva ride.

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/841127182873194496

5" per hour in a "mega snow band". Yeeeesh.

Look forward to it have to work in ER at 7am in Cat scan in Yonkers... looks like im stuck there but nice OT and will pay for skiing Thurs. Meh have chains for Honda Pilot. My wife's OR in Mt Kisco already closed. Gotta steal some trays from the cafeteria for sledding!

Exactly. I have little sympathy for the NYC/Boston area when it comes to snow accumulation. They flip a ###### everytime they get more than a few inches, but don't seem to recognize that the rest of the region deals with snow "emergencies" on a regular basis.

I know its a city and there is less space to put the stuff, but it isn't the apocalypse ffs.

Agreed its funny 2 days of sitting around will drive area bonkers. Still I get amused snow totals dropping as we speak... barely a foot in the city, maybe 18 inches up north... still saw 3 feet before school one morning in Amherst and I had to walk to school because roads were plowed... again humerous. Edited by North Buffalo

Wegmans was really busy yesterday afternoon, but being Wegmans, they had every single cash register open (no wait for me) and tons of bread, milk, and eggs left.

Right now, Weather Underground (I think they use accuweather as their source) has Coatesville at 10" tomorrow, which is like 3 ft in Buffalo and 4 ft in the Southtowns in terms of impact. The 20+ mph winds will drift this miserable, heavy, ice block-link snow deep enough that I won't get out of my driveway for a few days because the town only has a few pickup truck plows. I'll see that plow once when there's about 3" of snow and not again for 3 days because it's trying to plow out dozens of streets. This might surprise the people of WNY, but the municipalities around here don't burn a ton of budget on maintaining a fleet of highway plows for the two or three times a year they need them.

Wegmans was really busy yesterday afternoon, but being Wegmans, they had every single cash register open (no wait for me) and tons of bread, milk, and eggs left.

Excellent!  So you can make French toast!

This might surprise the people of WNY, but the municipalities around here don't burn a ton of budget on maintaining a fleet of highway plows for the two or three times a year they need them.

Heh.  Here in Texas they wait out the snow.  Just close everything and wait for it to melt.  :P

Excellent!  So you can make French toast!

Heh.  Here in Texas they wait out the snow.  Just close everything and wait for it to melt.  :P

In terms of budget, that's not a terrible move there. It's cold enough it won't melt for awhile here. I don't think the plows have been down my street this year, and there have been years that I haven't had to shovel at all. There's little reason to spend a ton of money on a once a year issue.

Fort Worth caught some flack a couple years ago.  They ignored a few inches of snow and it didnt' warm up for several days.  We ended up with cobblestone ice (basically think ice with potholes) on the interstates through town which meant long haul trucks couldn't pass through.  Now they spray roads with that brine solution as temperatures drop.  Minimal investment and it helps (although it doesn't fix everything).

93% of my workplace is freaking out.

-fill your bathtub

-buy a generator

-buy French toast supplies

Oh ffs! Last I checked, winter has happened in the north east for that past couple million years. It's not a surprise, people! I swear to Christ, people panic just to panic. Is it a sympathy thing? Am I inconsiderate? (well, don't answer that, of course I am)

Crying about the weather...ya know what, if you go on vacation to a beautiful paradise and it rains, or monsoons, or there's a tornado on your wedding day, then you get a free pass to complain about the weather. If you live in a place where it snows 5 months out of the year, and then you complain about the snow, oh, get !

...and I'm an ignorant (there! beat ya to it.)

They already closed Buff State and UB for tomorrow. What the hell is that all about? They didn't close UB two years ago until my parents house had 7 feet. Overreacting much?

I'm a little confused too. Is it because we haven't really had much snow to deal wth this season yet? I'm seeing 7-14 inches, this usually happens 4 or 5 times per winter around here. 

They already closed Buff State and UB for tomorrow. What the hell is that all about? They didn't close UB two years ago until my parents house had 7 feet. Overreacting much?

Hugh portable signs on I-90 proclaiming a winter storm warning.  They'll have it closed come morning I bet. 

I fundamentally don't understand why people panic over routine storms. Never will. Even if it's the full foot....you're stuck inside for what, part of a day? Then again, I normally have enough food to survive on for a bit anyway....which brings me to another thing I don't understand: people who shop day-to-day. Isn't that a bazillion times more inconvenient than one big shop per week?

Was in lake Tahoe last week.  Thought I knew snow as a survivor of '77.  But seeing snow berms 50 feet high was striking.  After they lifted the chain ban we drove to Mt Rose.  65 feet and counting. Not a single snow bunny was complaining. 

I fundamentally don't understand why people panic over routine storms. Never will. Even if it's the full foot....you're stuck inside for what, part of a day? Then again, I normally have enough food to survive on for a bit anyway....which brings me to another thing I don't understand: people who shop day-to-day. Isn't that a bazillion times more inconvenient than one big shop per week?

I get shopping day to day in a city like NYC, but not here.  At least not for most.  Maybe a guy like Eleven has a day to day grocery lifestyle?

I think I could get by for a month without shopping if we needed to.

I'm a little confused too. Is it because we haven't really had much snow to deal wth this season yet? I'm seeing 7-14 inches, this usually happens 4 or 5 times per winter around here.

Right. It's completely normal and manageable.

Hugh portable signs on I-90 proclaiming a winter storm warning. They'll have it closed come morning I bet.

Nah. It'll be clean as a whistle.

UB closes any time NY declares a state of emergency, if I'm not mistaken. Cuomo declared SOE starting tonight at midnight.

I'll never forget the lack of snow on UB north back during the November storm. I recall walking across green grass as I discussed the closing. Meanwhile our professors and some commuters were buried in the 7 feet you mention.

Right. It's completely normal and manageable.

Nah. It'll be clean as a whistle.

Wind out of the north.  I'll lay money down that the stretch from Albany to at least Rochester is closed.  Cuomo likes to close his Thruway.

Edited by We've

UB closes any time NY declares a state of emergency, if I'm not mistaken. Cuomo declared SOE starting tonight at midnight.

I'll never forget the lack of snow on UB north back during the November storm. I recall walking across green grass as I discussed the closing. Meanwhile our professors and some commuters were buried in the 7 feet you mention.

I had driven in from Rochester on Tuesday morning for class (took the long way around to the north because I felt like the 90/RT 5 would be impassible), waited until the evening to see if UB would throw in the towel, ended up booking a hotel room near campus since I had class Wednesday morning, and then they​ cancelled class for Wednesday at like 11pm. I was so pissed.

Wind out of the north. I'll lay money down that the stretch from Albany to at least Rochester is closed. Cuomo likes to close his Thruway.

I've never seen the Thruway closed when it should be. So maybe you're right. I'm assuming everything in our area will be open though.

I've never seen the Thruway closed when it should be. So maybe you're right. I'm assuming everything in our area will be open though.

They shut down the Hamburg to PA line stretch the last big lake effect event.  It was closed from Syracuse to Pembroke twice last Winter.  One thing I've definitely noticed is the thruway gets shut down much more readily the last 3-4 years.

They shut down the Hamburg to PA line stretch the last big lake effect event. It was closed from Syracuse to Pembroke twice last Winter. One thing I've definitely noticed is the thruway gets shut down much more readily the last 3-4 years.

Which is really for the best if there's any chance people could get stuck on it. I always avoid it if there's a storm. At least if I'm on surface roads and get stuck I can put on my emergency snow suit and walk to someone's house or a gas station or something.

Which is really for the best if there's any chance people could get stuck on it. I always avoid it if there's a storm. At least if I'm on surface roads and get stuck I can put on my emergency snow suit and walk to someone's house or a gas station or something.

Sewn-in Depends?

I think they are quick to pull the trigger, but it's not a bad thing I guess.  They were late in closing the Thruway 2 winters ago when we had our last blizzard and a lot of tractor trailers were stranded and it made clearing the Thruway a much more time consuming process, so now they close it at the drop of a hat.