GDT:Sabres at Vancouver 10/22/22 10pm MSG, CBC, WGR 550

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Well, it was worth the late night, another W for the Buffalo Boys. Not the best overall game but enough to do what needed to be done

Agreed, sort of. But doesn't it seem spoiled/unrealistic to say this about a road game that ends 5-1 in BUFFALO'S FAVOR?!

We can all see some missed offensive/transition opportunities and the frustrating shifts when the Sabres get peppered with defensive zone pressure/shots...so is the concern that Buffalo is getting lucky goals and/or unsustainable goaltending? Do analytics tell us the Sabres are NOT nearly as good as their impressive goal differential might lead us to believe? Either way, doesn't this 5-1 road win EXCEED our expectations? 

Would anyone be surprised to learn that the Buffalo Sabres are outplaying (via analytics) their "expected" results right now? I hope not. I also hope no one cares much yet. This is about growth and grit and sustained compete. We're seeing those things.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

DG has complete buy in from the team.  They played an amazing 3rd period without a top D and with Van having dominating them in the 2nd.  How did it take so long for him to become an NHL coach.  

Hard to believe he was on RK’s staff.  

He got cancer.  Screwed up his career timeline pretty well.  But worked out great for Buffalo.  And pretty sure he's happy w/ where he's at too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

Agreed, sort of. But doesn't it seem spoiled/unrealistic to say this about a road game that ends 5-1 in BUFFALO'S FAVOR?!

We can all see some missed offensive/transition opportunities and the frustrating shifts when the Sabres get peppered with defensive zone pressure/shots...so is the concern that Buffalo is getting lucky goals and/or unsustainable goaltending? Do analytics tell us the Sabres are NOT nearly as good as their impressive goal differential might lead us to believe? Either way, doesn't this 5-1 road win EXCEED our expectations? 

Would anyone be surprised to learn that the Buffalo Sabres are outplaying (via analytics) their "expected" results right now? I hope not. I also hope no one cares much yet. This is about growth and grit and sustained compete. We're seeing those things.

I have never cared for analytics that much, and I am too old to start caring now 😂😂, I do know that the 2nd period of this game and the Oilers game could have caused a significantly different outcome and we wouldn't be as excited as we are now. 

I think we are flawed a bit, goaltending is solid but may regress a bit, but we are an actual NHL team this season and I'm enjoying it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Jokiharju very likely will be back before Samuelsson.  Unless the injury is much less serious than it seemed.  (Here's to hoping.)

Maybe not!

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres got good news on Samuelsson’s Injury 

Reporter: Any positive news on Samuelsson?

Granato:  "you know when you see him go down, and have a tough time getting up, yes positive.  So, we won't know more obviously until tomorrow but I was holding my breath like everyone else.  And you're wondering what type of news you're going to get so, I am much much happier after hearing that."

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

That's gotta hurt if you're a Vancouver fan.  I'm looking forward to The Hockey Guy's take on this game.

Okay so for those who don't know by now, The Hockey Guy lives near Vancouver, the Canucks are his team.  With that, let's queue it up to the Sabres-Canucks review:

You can hear his exasperation.

• Thanks (+1) 3

Glad too see the win, hope Mules injury is short term just a bad scare... Sabres can ill afford to lose his toughness on D and leadership.   Agreed Sabres are a growing team... nice to see a good start to the season but consistency is important... give things for DM to work on.

• Like (+1) 1

Morning horde.

I was all set to watch this game, switched over to msg at 5 to 10, check, beer cracked, ice cold and frothy on end table next to recliner, check, puppies let out for potty break before 10, check......

Extended pre game??? W.....T.....F.....

Scotty snoring by 10:10pm.....

Dag-nabbit!!!!!!

Watched the recorded replay early this AM, great game for the team, Dahlin....."Generational"....what more can be said.

It's a good morning fir the horde!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.