Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Bo Horvat rejected Canucks offer recently. He’s now apparent he market. If I’m Buffalo I’m seriously looking into his services and whether he’d sign extension. 

He turned down an $8M AAV extension.  That might be too rich for my blood -- he looks like he is having contract-year-itis with a shooting percentage of 21.5, which is 35% above last year's.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

He turned down an $8M AAV extension.  That might be too rich for my blood -- he looks like he is having contract-year-itis with a shooting percentage of 21.5, which is 35% above last year's.

That says to me that it's more than just money.  Vancouver doesn't look close so it may that he's looking for his best chance at winning a Cup perhaps. 

18 minutes ago, Digger said:

That says to me that it's more than just money.  Vancouver doesn't look close so it may that he's looking for his best chance at winning a Cup perhaps. 

I'm sure he wants to win, but I think it is mostly about money.  With 31g in 70 games last year, and 20 in 28 this year, he is probably thinking...he is in the prime of his career, this is going to be his ONE big contract, hes sure he is a legit 40g scorer, and he sees younger guys getting better offers than he was given who haven't proved what he has.  I think he wants a long term deal at $9-$10m per year. 

JT Miller just got $8m per year, and Horvat figures he is a few years younger and has scored more goals for the team over the past 2 years total.  Or me might be looking at the over $9 Barzal just signed and thinking he is MUCH more productive than him.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm sure he wants to win, but I think it is mostly about money.  With 31g in 70 games last year, and 20 in 28 this year, he is probably thinking...he is in the prime of his career, this is going to be his ONE big contract, hes sure he is a legit 40g scorer, and he sees younger guys getting better offers than he was given who haven't proved what he has.  I think he wants a long term deal at $9-$10m per year. 

JT Miller just got $8m per year, and Horvat figures he is a few years younger and has scored more goals for the team over the past 2 years total.  Or me might be looking at the over $9 Barzal just signed and thinking he is MUCH more productive than him.

His production is so much higher than his last few years. I really like Horvat and he is the type of player the Sabres need. However, I don’t think the Sabres will offer him what he wants and his role on the team would be 2C, blocking Cozens.

Way too much money for a 3C, which Horvat would be for the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Vegas places Jack Eichel on IR with a LBI

The real issue w/ Eichel.  You'll likely never get 70 games from him in any 1 regular season.

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Vegas places Jack Eichel on IR with a LBI

The real issue w/ Eichel.  You'll likely never get 70 games from him in any 1 regular season.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

Where is a good place to get NHL news?  I was using Rotoworld hockey but they stopped.  

Sportsnet.ca and TSN.ca have a lot of hockey coverage but they are Canada and especially Leafs focused.

Thehockeywriters.com has some different stories from around the league.

• Agree 2

Marek today was talking about the work Sakic did in Colorado, how he inherited a lot of the high end talent there, but his work was in manipulating the group into what it is, buoyed by savvy, moneyball-esque free agent pickups. He said one of Sakic’s biggest things was that you should never turn down the opportunity to improve your team, no matter how small, considering the difference between winning and losing at this level can be razor thin. 

Reminded me of the work Adams is doing, to a large extent. Not claiming Reilly, for example, seems to fly in the face of the “anything to improve” thing, but the reconfiguration of the asset base into a worthy sum of its parts sounds like what he’s doing/attempting.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Marek today was talking about the work Sakic did in Colorado, how he inherited a lot of the high end talent there, but his work was in manipulating the group into what it is, buoyed by savvy, moneyball-esque free agent pickups. He said one of Sakic’s biggest things was that you should never turn down the opportunity to improve your team, no matter how small, considering the difference between winning and losing at this level can be razor thin. 

Reminded me of the work Adams is doing, to a large extent. Not claiming Reilly, for example, seems to fly in the face of the “anything to improve” thing, but the reconfiguration of the asset base into a worthy sum of its parts sounds like what he’s doing/attempting.

Bruins fans felt Reilly bumbled badly anytime he was pressured in the Dzone and we honestly have plenty of that already at a cheaper cost lol.

• Haha (+1) 2

22 hours ago, French Collection said:

Sportsnet.ca and TSN.ca have a lot of hockey coverage but they are Canada and especially Leafs focused.

Thehockeywriters.com has some different stories from around the league.

Yes, if you want more hockey news go Canadian. They will be overly focused on Canadian teams like the Leafs but they will give you more info and usually faster. Hockey is important to most Canadians. 

and of course right here where breaking news is usually posted quickly .

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I won't forgive him for nosing out Dodo's Pride at the '16 Derby.

Honestly this is exactly the vibe I was feeling that you’ve now put into words haha. It’s the alliteration I think.

edit - re: my point on alliteration. Might have helped if there was even one alliterative horse in the ‘16 field but alas, no. 

Whoops. Well, whatever.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.