Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

On 11/30/2022 at 7:53 PM, Thorny said:

The guy who berated the team and every member of this board on his way out lol 

20 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

He did it more than just on his way out. Delta Bravo in the first degree.

20 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Agree. And I’m sorry but if you are a fan of a player more than a fan of the team …. Seeeee ya. No skin off my ear lobes.

Are you all talking about the guy who was a Canes fan?

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Owen Power is a good hockey player, and in time he may turn out to be the best (maybe) but at the moment it is looking like we blew the draft.

I really really like Beniers.  I wanted the Sabres to draft him.  I think he will cool down a bit though.  He is shooting an unsustainable 23%, and the Kraken actually get outshot when he is on the ice.  He is just on a heater right now, with 12 pts in the past 6 games.  Before that he went 6 games without recording a point.  Great player, but so is Power.  Jury is still out.

• Agree 1

The age old grass is greener effect.

I call shenanigans. There is a phenomenon as crazy as it might sound… Where both teams got good players. And no one “won the draft“. I just find that kind of conversation (at times) intellectually dishonest when someone tries to claim another team won/blew the draft.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Owen Power is a good hockey player, and in time he may turn out to be the best (maybe) but at the moment it is looking like we blew the draft.

Not a chance... the whole board is looking for Buffalo to have improved defense and you are on here saying the Sabres blew the draft. It's just trying to get a rise out of people.  Do you really think Beniers would have been the better draft pick?

Like drafting Power is "blowing" the draft. Even if Beniers was slightly better, which he's not, it would not be "blowing" the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LTS said:

Not a chance... the whole board is looking for Buffalo to have improved defense and you are on here saying the Sabres blew the draft. It's just trying to get a rise out of people.  Do you really think Beniers would have been the better draft pick?

Like drafting Power is "blowing" the draft. Even if Beniers was slightly better, which he's not, it would not be "blowing" the draft.

Personally would've preferred Beniers, but they didn't go wrong at all w/ Power.  They're shaping up to be able to consistently have a #1 D-man on the ice for 50 minutes/ game in a couple of years.  Except for a 1/2 season of Tallinder elevating his game, they never HAD a #1 D-man.

They've been able to get #1 C's, they'd never had a #1 D prior to Dahlin.  Now there's a great chance they'll have 2.  That's not a "blown" draft at all.

3 hours ago, LTS said:

"blew" was too strong a word, that's fair. My point is simply that despite having the #1 pick, we may have not drafted the #1 player. Power may still be that guy, but right now Beniers is way ahead. 

We have a history of doing that. Not getting the best guy at the time and sometimes really missing badly like Nylander. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

"blew" was too strong a word, that's fair. My point is simply that despite having the #1 pick, we may have not drafted the #1 player. Power may still be that guy, but right now Beniers is way ahead. 

We have a history of doing that. Not getting the best guy at the time and sometimes really missing badly like Nylander. 

Meh.  There's now and then there's later. I am quite comfortable that Power has a much better NHL career in the end. Put Beniers on the Sabres and what is he doing right now?  No way he's having the same output as he's having in Seattle. It's a very different setting.

There are a lot of teams who never get the best guy and a lot of teams who miss badly. The Sabres are not the exception there.  But not a chance do I think Beniers is the best player in that draft...

23 minutes ago, LTS said:

Meh.  There's now and then there's later. I am quite comfortable that Power has a much better NHL career in the end. Put Beniers on the Sabres and what is he doing right now?  No way he's having the same output as he's having in Seattle. It's a very different setting.

There are a lot of teams who never get the best guy and a lot of teams who miss badly. The Sabres are not the exception there.  But not a chance do I think Beniers is the best player in that draft...

So do you think it's Power?

39 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Myers waived by Tampa. Not spectacular but I think also an upgrade over some of what we have but whatever, KA will do nothing. 

To be honest I don't really think he was an upgrade; there's a reason he's been bounced around and was considered a pure cap circumvent asset based on his buyout.

19 hours ago, Taro T said:

Personally would've preferred Beniers, but they didn't go wrong at all w/ Power.  They're shaping up to be able to consistently have a #1 D-man on the ice for 50 minutes/ game in a couple of years.  Except for a 1/2 season of Tallinder elevating his game, they never HAD a #1 D-man.

They've been able to get #1 C's, they'd never had a #1 D prior to Dahlin.  Now there's a great chance they'll have 2.  That's not a "blown" draft at all.

Given the state of the Sabres I would not trade Power for Beniers straight up.  Much more difficult to acquire defensemen than forwards. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.