Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

On 11/14/2022 at 12:42 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Right now our rebuild is better than the Ottawa plan. Better than the Blue Jackets and probably better than the Flyers in time (although maybe those 2 are still in tear down mode?) It is Not as good as New Jersey or probably not as good as the Red Wings and the Canadiens seem to have fared better than expected (and us) as well. If you want to include the west it would seem the Kraken might have moved ahead of us already but the Ducks and Canucks and Sharks are all behind I think (maybe all 3 still tearing down). (Looking at Boston and the Ducks it seems Lindholm's contributions may have been underestimated all these years). Arizona, surprisingly looks about even with us at this time. Then there are the old teams falling like Washington and St. Louis and the still okay teams like the Islanders who everyone thought would be worse. 

So overall, in terms of rebuilds, I think it puts us roughly in the middle of the pack. Considering how long ours has been going and how many assets we got for the last phase we did we should be much better already but if you look at it as just the KA era it's mid level. Maybe that's good enough for some people. I consider it failure and missed opportunity and........

I am simply tired of half assed efforts and loser hockey. 

No excuse for this team not to work hard. I blame the coach.

17 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Not sure why Granato got an extension when he really hasn’t accomplished much. They jumped the gone and I’m not sure if he’s the right guy for this job.

It's just choreographed messaging, everyone got extensions that were before they needed to be given out. Vibes. 

A message of stability to the league, and our players, notably the fans, across the bow 

It's not much more than that provided Pegula doesn't go pinch-penny. Coaches can get fired whenever 

(not advocating to fire him) 

Edited by Thorny

Coming to think about it, it has not been a good first part of the season for former Sabres on their other teams, with the exception of Eichel who is doing fine so far:

-Reinhart:  3 goals, 3 assists in 16 games

-Risto: getting called out and scratched by the new coach for his bad play

-O'Reilly: 3 goas, 2 assits in 14 games and  a minus 12

-Evander Kane:  Serious wrist injury

-Johan Larsson:  Not even in the NHL, playing in Sweden after only playing a total of 43 NHL games in the past 2 NHL seasons

-Jake McCabe: now the 4th or 5th D-man for Chicago. Points was never his thing but only 4 points in 12 games

-Marcus Foligno:  1 goal and 2 assists in 11 games, even when he does play he is now only getting 3rd or 4th line minutes

Not to slam on those guys, but it is more of an indictment of how this team was run the past decade.  If you took the entire team now, picked and chose anyone and/or everyone that has ever played on this team in the past 10 years, you still might be able to ice a team that contends toward the top of the division.

5 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Coming to think about it, it has not been a good first part of the season for former Sabres on their other teams, with the exception of Eichel who is doing fine so far:

-Reinhart:  3 goals, 3 assists in 16 games

-Risto: getting called out and scratched by the new coach for his bad play

-O'Reilly: 3 goas, 2 assits in 14 games and  a minus 12

-Evander Kane:  Serious wrist injury

-Johan Larsson:  Not even in the NHL, playing in Sweden after only playing a total of 43 NHL games in the past 2 NHL seasons

-Jake McCabe: now the 4th or 5th D-man for Chicago. Points was never his thing but only 4 points in 12 games

-Marcus Foligno:  1 goal and 2 assists in 11 games, even when he does play he is now only getting 3rd or 4th line minutes

Not to slam on those guys, but it is more of an indictment of how this team was run the past decade.  If you took the entire team now, picked and chose anyone and/or everyone that has ever played on this team in the past 10 years, you still might be able to ice a team that contends toward the top of the division.

6 in 16 for Sam, but also 4 of those points (3 goals) in his last 5. Maybe that turns out to be a blip, but considering he has almost always started very slow, it's likely just par for the course, and now we are seeing his production come along. Will have to wait and see to know for sure. 

I'm actually pretty surprised Larsson is out of the NHL. We should sign him 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

6 in 16 for Sam, but also 4 of those points (3 goals) in his last 5. Maybe that turns out to be a blip, but considering he has almost always started very slow, it's likely just par for the course, and now we are seeing his production come along. Will have to wait and see to know for sure. 

Sure, but can he drive his own line? 🙂

1 hour ago, Radar said:

I blame it 85% on players and 15% on coaching.

I agree.  Its not like 30+ years ago. The players don't fear the coach anymore (at least not like they did). The "Star" players can tune out the coach if they want.  It sounds great to blame the coach for a team not being motivated or putting in the effort, but in reality, that simply isn't true now like it was a coupe decades ago. If the players don't want to put in the effort, there isn't much the coaching staff can do.  You have guys like Torts now (maybe Keenan in the past, or Babcock) but if those guy do have an impact in 'todays nhl', it often doesn't last long and ultimately they get tuned out and often times forced out before reaching the ultimate goal.

Edited by mjd1001

45 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Rumors are floating around in Vancouver that Horvat is on the way out. If Adams could get him to sign who would you be happy to let go?

Horvat is a stand up guy who never takes a night off. He’d really hep the Sabres. Interesting proposition imo. But for who?

You’re probably looking at Savoie, a top five protected first round pick in 2023, a 3rd or 4th round pick, and Mittelstadt

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Wouldn’t do that; that would be absurd overpay. 

I understand. But is it really an overpay? It’s not that far off from the deadline deals last spring.

It’s kind of like…you’re getting the guarantee of a fully-developed/an all grown up and ready to play version of your prospect at or near his prime.   

So for that privilege, you’re definitely paying the prospect back, a premium first round pick, a later round pick, and a roster player. 

3 hours ago, rickshaw said:

Rumors are floating around in Vancouver that Horvat is on the way out. If Adams could get him to sign who would you be happy to let go?

Horvat is a stand up guy who never takes a night off. He’d really hep the Sabres. Interesting proposition imo. But for who?

Anyone on the team or in the system, or future picks other than Dahlin, Power, Tage, Tuch, and JJP.  

48 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Send Krebbs out in the package.

He is struggling pretty mightily.  

I just looked it up…Krebs has 20 AHL regular season games to his credit (all last year), and he has 20 points in 20 games. He’s in a weird spot where his development might not be best served in the AHL, but he’s not an NHL player yet either. 

I don’t want to give up on the guy, but I would probably send him down if they could bring in an NHL vet who could play a more physical game. The Sabres already have young guys who play his style and are more noticeable (Peterka & Quinn off the top of my head).  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.