Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

I still think Josh got a concussion vs the Chiefs and is discombobulated. 

Defense is rightfully struggling with literally half of them being out. But still they are playing winnable football. 

Offense falling apart is all on Josh, o line, and in my opinion the receivers aren’t doing enough to get open. 

Majority of the problem is all mental. At least it’s early season but they aren’t even going to make the playoffs if they can’t figure it out quick. 

53 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That snap made me nervous. The tightness of it all and possibly Josh tweaked his injury. I would bet anything the coaches debated various ways to proceed. Shotgun snap and throw it away if no one's wide open. Or Josh rolls out. The element of surprise would have been enormous. 

Yeah I know. It's 20/20 hindsight.

So many coaching questions.

Honestly, I just wish Lewis had batted down that 4th down pass to Jefferson instead of trying to intercept it.  Even ignoring the time and score, an incomplete pass would have been better for field position.  Think of how much craziness we might have avoided ...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, carpandean said:

Honestly, I just wish Lewis had batted down that 4th down pass to Jefferson instead of trying to intercept it.  Even ignoring the time and score, an incomplete pass would have been better for field position.  Think of how much craziness we might have avoided ...

Abso-*****in-lutely. How does a guy who has made it all the way to the NFL not realize that.

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

I still think Josh got a concussion vs the Chiefs and is discombobulated. 

Defense is rightfully struggling with literally half of them being out. But still they are playing winnable football. 

Offense falling apart is all on Josh, o line, and in my opinion the receivers aren’t doing enough to get open. 

Majority of the problem is all mental. At least it’s early season but they aren’t even going to make the playoffs if they can’t figure it out quick. 

You definitely pointed out the  possible elephant in the room.  He may be having trouble focusing. He has played well 80% of the time but with inexplicably

odd decisions

6 hours ago, Indabuff said:

If you had no horse in the race it was probably fun to watch.   For Bills fans, well, I'm guessing somewhere a TV got destroyed.

It was. I'm not a Bills fan but I did want them to win. Back in the day I did have a fondness for the Bills since they were the "local" (southern Ontario) team on the tv more often than others. Always enjoyed those old Miami/Buffalo match ups back then. I hate Dallas so those superbowls were painful for me too. 

I actually thought they'd still win or get a tie at least until they blew it. 

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Gut-wrenching, freakish loss that raises questions about JA's crunch-time ability to focus and execute, and the same for the coaches.

Also:  Justin Jefferson might be the best player in the NFL right now.  Holy mackerel.

We have plenty of evidence that says in crunch time, JA will not only be fine, he will be all world. They never punted in their last two playoff games.

The coaches and our defense, well, that's another matter.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Josh needs to know when hero ball(Favre 2.0) is okay, and when it is not. If he can’t elevate his game in this regard, can you imagine yesterday happening in a SB?

If not, he will be an exciting player that over his career will win you many games, and lose games that should have been wins. 

It doesn't help when the playcalling is geared towards hero ball.  2nd & 2 from the 7.  Maybe Allen audibled out of runs 3 straight times, but doubt that.  More likely Dorsey didn't call a single run there.  (It looked like pass all 3 times.)  Even one run on 2nd or 3rd at least gets the D having to respect that possibility on 4th down.  They scored 2 rushing TDs in the 1st.)

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

That snap made me nervous. The tightness of it all and possibly Josh tweaked his injury. I would bet anything the coaches debated various ways to proceed. Shotgun snap and throw it away if no one's wide open. Or Josh rolls out. The element of surprise would have been enormous. 

Yeah I know. It's 20/20 hindsight.

Assuming we succeed on the snap (easier than winning a faceoff by a long shot), a Josh roll out and a run-pass option (RPO) would be a possible good play.  If nothing is there he throws it away and you line up again.   Even a safety is better than a fumbled snap and TD.    At least with the safety your defense can possibly hold as there would have been about 30 seconds and no timeouts.  

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

It doesn't help when the playcalling is geared towards hero ball.  2nd & 2 from the 7.  Maybe Allen audibled out of runs 3 straight times, but doubt that.  More likely Dorsey didn't call a single run there.  (It looked like pass all 3 times.)  Even one run on 2nd or 3rd at least gets the D having to respect that possibility on 4th down.  They scored 2 rushing TDs in the 1st.)

And those were Singletary’s first rushing TDs this season. 🤮

I was at the game with my son.

It's really something being there at a game like that. The experience is so disorienting. Once the Vikings recovered the fumble in the end zone, I didn't really recover from being numb. Like, it was great that the Bills drove down and tied it. And then it was great when they stiffened up and forced a field goal in OT. And then ...

Setting my fandom aside (not easy to do): What an effing game that was. So many plot twists.

Beat the Browns!

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

There's probably too much pressure on Josh, seeing how unreliable our running game is, our blocking and anyone not named Diggs not getting open. There's also the elbow, which may have helped cause the goal-line fumble (both Morse and Josh have bad elbows) and the two end zone interceptions. Not to mention Dorsey's second-half abandonment of the running game and Josh not exploiting checkdowns and guys who are wide open. (tunnel vision?)

I'd sit Josh this week and maybe next week too, to rest his elbow against the woeful Browns and Lions.

26 minutes ago, Quint said:

There's probably too much pressure on Josh, seeing how unreliable our running game is, our blocking and anyone not named Diggs not getting open. There's also the elbow, which may have helped cause the goal-line fumble (both Morse and Josh have bad elbows) and the two end zone interceptions. Not to mention Dorsey's second-half abandonment of the running game and Josh not exploiting checkdowns and guys who are wide open. (tunnel vision?)

I'd sit Josh this week and maybe next week too, to rest his elbow against the woeful Browns and Lions.

It's the NFL and these next two are really *must wins*.  So, JA will not and should not sit them out, but I understand your point and line of thinking on this.  I hope the Bills can run it up in the first half of both games and then sit Josh for the second half.

15 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

It's the NFL and these next two are really *must wins*.  So, JA will not and should not sit them out, but I understand your point and line of thinking on this.  I hope the Bills can run it up in the first half of both games and then sit Josh for the second half.

The bills ran it up in the first against Minnesota and we see how that turned out. If he plays, he plays until we're up by 4 scores. We were up 17 points with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd. 

Super Bowl teams should not lose those games in that fashion. 

• Thanks (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Quint said:

Josh not exploiting checkdowns and guys who are wide open. (tunnel vision?)

This appears to be the biggest issue. I did not consume any post-game content, but my son did. He related that Patrick Peterson (sp?) essentially said (implied) in his post-game interview that they schemed for Allen to get greedy and trust his arm in/near the red zone. I have not rewatched that play, but I'm told that Singletary was wide open on a check down.

I think Allen's biggest issue right now is mental. He just needs to be more disciplined - take what's there, let the game come to him a bit more. The Bills should never have come out of that game with an L, especially, as I have come to understand, after they benefited from two huge blown calls in their favour (a crucial Davis (non)catch and a missed 12-men on the field on the goal line stand).

Also occurs to me: Much was made - some time ago - about how Allen had not thrown a red zone interception in however many attempts, etc. Water always finds its level.

Edited to add: Moments before the game ending pick, I was prepared for the game to end in a tie.