Patrick Kane

tom webster

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Before the draft, I was ready to give them #28 for Kane, but now I'm not trading Kulich (or Savoie or Östlund) for him.

I think we're only getting him if we're the only team on his list, and I doubt that's the case.  But maybe at the deadline or over the summer.

Being the only team on his list is reasonable.  Can you imagine if he came home & helped bring the the Sabres back to playoff relevance? It is reasonable.  

Teams in a position to win now do not have the cap space to absorb PK. If he wants to finish his career in Buffalo, it won’t take much to acquire him due to his full no-move clause. If he wants to be a deadline mercenary, then the Sabres can look at it next year based on his production. 

Long story short, he’s here if he wants to be because it won’t be cost prohibitive and he wants to be a Sabre. If that’s really the organization rallying cry, then it’s pretty feasible. 

In preseason, Mark Stone will get injured and opt for another surgery and the G'Knights will put him on LTIR, with "possible return" for the postseason (he'll be practicing by March but suspiciously remain on LTIR). Then, Vegas sends a 1st, a 2nd, and F Nicolas Roy to Chicago in exchange for a season of RW Kane (who temporarily waives his NMC). Pacioretty-Eichel-Kane is dynamite. But... the aging players and the lack of depth hamper the team. No one is hurt enough for LTIR. The goaltending goes cold. In a fit of rage, Vegas GM rents Kane to a team competing for a playoff bid, the only team Kane waives his NMC for: the Sabres. The deal nets Vegas the Buffalo 2023 3rd and F Anders Bjork (who had earlier cleared waivers and has had a good AHL season, then earned a recall due to injuries). The Sabres make the playoffs and charge all the way to the ECF (falling to the Rangers, who fall to Colorado in the final). Kane signs a 3-yr $9M extension in the offseason.

Final Eichel trade: Eichel + Bjork ==> F Tuch, C Krebs, F Östlund, 2023 VGK 2nd (#44 overall), RW Kane

I don't where you get your delusions, laser brain.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, tom webster said:

It’s quite simple we want the over the bill guy who scored 90 points last year playing until the young guys are good enough to beat him out. We want a team that strives to be the best it can be.

If we stay the course, the team won't be realistically cup contending for another 3 years. What's Patrick Kane look like then?

Worse yet, if we trade the future for Patrick Kane, the team loses the very assets that gets them to cup contention in 3 years. 

The reality check is this only a thing because he's from Buffalo. 

Hopefully some team that's in cup contention for next year trades for him sooner or later to put the speculation to rest... Then Buffalo can MAYBE get him on a hometown discount UFA contract the year after.

16 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

It doesn't make much sense to what we're building now. Trying to find our core and then throw Patrick Kane in there because he's from the area.

Well that depends on how Pat Kane sees his role. If he becomes a mentor that's great. If he's a me-first guy then no. I think there's room for a mentor Pat Kane on this roster.

50 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

If we stay the course, the team won't be realistically cup contending for another 3 years. What's Patrick Kane look like then?

Worse yet, if we trade the future for Patrick Kane, the team loses the very assets that gets them to cup contention in 3 years. 

The reality check is this only a thing because he's from Buffalo. 

Hopefully some team that's in cup contention for next year trades for him sooner or later to put the speculation to rest... Then Buffalo can MAYBE get him on a hometown discount UFA contract the year after.

I can't see the Sabres trading any major prospects. Draft picks more likely. The benefit to Chicago is getting Kane's salary off their cap.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m tired of repeating myself. Here it is, one last time.

1) He helps the team now. Half this board is so sure that AHL playoff experience is this great elixir for our prospects but letting them play some meaningful games this year would apparently do them no good.

2) They would not be giving up anything that will help them in the next 3 years.

3) Obviously it’s only a thing because if he wasn’t from the area, HE wouldn’t be interested. I don’t want him on the team because he’s from here, I want him bacause he’s good and makes the team better without sacrificing anything that can help them immediately.

Don’t worry Tom most of the people that don’t want him have no clue what they are talking about.😛

Kane turned DeBrincat into a 40 goal scorer. He would do the same for Quinn. Put him with Mitts and Mitts has that breakout year that helps this team greatly.

He put people in the seats, sells merchandise and helps change the perception of players and agents around the league. He helps improve all the players around him and pushes this team forward.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Don’t worry Tom most of the people that don’t want him have no clue what they are talking about.😛

Kane turned DeBrincat into a 40 goal scorer. He would do the same for Quinn. Put him with Mitts and Mitts has that breakout year that helps this team greatly.

He put people in the seats, sells merchandise and helps change the perception of players and agents around the league. He helps improve all the players around him and pushes this team forward.

Just because our opinions differ doesn’t mean I’m clueless. In the end I think all of us just want this team to win, I’ll take winning by any means necessary at this point, I’m just not a fan of the person. I feel like we’d be adding another Jack Eichel personality type into our locker room. I don’t know him personally so I can’t be certain but there is plenty to read about his character.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I doubt Debrincat scores much more than 30 without Kane.

Kane (with a more mature attitude) would be worth a reasonable cost this year IMO.  Putting Sabres fans back in the seats would go a long way in offsetting his cost to the organization and I don't just mean money.  A return of Sabres fans with a chance for the playoffs would one-for-one remove opposing fans from those seats.  The young guys would benefit from a real "home ice" crowd.  My god, a lot of home games last year had more visitor jerseys than Sabres!

Kane's #1 job if he returns is to get the Sabres back in the playoffs!  He could do that without a detriment to the future plans.  The young guy's next big step is playoff hockey experience and all that it brings to the players and the fans.  I want to see this happen.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, tom webster said:

As predicted earlier, Strome and Kubalik not being qualified. They are begging Kane and Toews to ask out.

The Hawks will be the dumping ground for every bad contract. If they move Kane and Toews that is over $20 million out the door. They will probably have to retain on Toews but still will be well under the cap floor.

Chicago could be the key to this offseason. Teams like Philly are trying to unload contracts in order to go after different players. A lot of teams are looking to free up space to go big fishing or tripping some of their key guys. Chicago want draft picks and to ice a horrible team.

9 hours ago, tom webster said:

2) They would not be giving up anything that will help them in the next 3 years.

You're competing for him on the open market against teams that can use him now for a legit cup run... Not just to make the playoffs. Unless the Hawks learned nothing after the Debrincat, you're going to have to give up an asset you'll need in 3 years. 

Wait a year, give up nothing, and if he's truly interested in leading the Sabres to winning their first cup, let him sign his hometown discount contract.

5 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

You're competing for him on the open market against teams that can use him now for a legit cup run... Not just to make the playoffs. Unless the Hawks learned nothing after the Debrincat, you're going to have to give up an asset you'll need in 3 years. 

Wait a year, give up nothing, and if he's truly interested in leading the Sabres to winning their first cup, let him sign his hometown discount contract.

What exactly do you think Chicago learned in the last three days? Maybe they got exactly what they wanted.

7 hours ago, Cheektorado said:

Kane (with a more mature attitude) would be worth a reasonable cost this year IMO.  Putting Sabres fans back in the seats would go a long way in offsetting his cost to the organization and I don't just mean money.  A return of Sabres fans with a chance for the playoffs would one-for-one remove opposing fans from those seats.  The young guys would benefit from a real "home ice" crowd.  My god, a lot of home games last year had more visitor jerseys than Sabres!

Kane's #1 job if he returns is to get the Sabres back in the playoffs!  He could do that without a detriment to the future plans.  The young guy's next big step is playoff hockey experience and all that it brings to the players and the fans.  I want to see this happen.

I agree with all of this, but the bolded is the tricky part.

What is the highest price you would pay for him, assuming he signs an extension as part of the deal?

10 hours ago, tom webster said:

I’m tired of repeating myself. Here it is, one last time.

1) He helps the team now. Half this board is so sure that AHL playoff experience is this great elixir for our prospects but letting them play some meaningful games this year would apparently do them no good.

3) Obviously it’s only a thing because if he wasn’t from the area, HE wouldn’t be interested. I don’t want him on the team because he’s from here, I want him bacause he’s good and makes the team better without sacrificing anything that can help them immediately.

I apologize for not keeping up with this thread in the last couple of weeks, but TW, in your scenario, what are the Sabres giving up?  My problem with the Kane idea isn't that he's not good or not interested, it's that I don't want the Sabres to give up a lot for him.  A 2023 third?  Sure.  A first?  No.  Where are you at with it?  Because he's free July 1, 2023 and Chicago is desperate.

5 hours ago, spndnchz said:

Chicago would retain 50% of his salary. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah but we don't need them to do that ?  We are not a cap strapped team.

If the rangers trade for him, then yes.

Chicago needs to start worrying about the cap floor if they move Kane. Add the possibility of moving Toews as well, it becomes a real concern.

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Chicago needs to start worrying about the cap floor if they move Kane. Add the possibility of moving Toews as well, it becomes a real concern.

I know, but its not an incentive in any deal for us to add more, we don't need them to do it.   They will want 1st round picks and we shouldn't do this.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.