Jump to content

Patrick Kane


tom webster
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have been advocating for KA to wait until Kane becomes a UFA and if Kane really wants to come home to Buffalo than great. The Sabres wouldn't have to give up anything.

Since the blow up in Chicago I have changed my tune that if Kane wants out now and wants to come to Buffalo then I'd be willing to give up prospects and pick to get him now.  This would give him a chance to play for the Sabres prospects now and see if he would want to sign as an UFA.

If the Sabres are not close to making the playoffs, you could still always trade Kane at deadline and get most of your return back.

Propsed deal-

To Buffalo- Kane 25% salary retention

To Chicago- Bjork, prospect Linus Weissbach, prospect Erik Portillo, and 2023 Vegas 2nd rd pick

 

Chicago is freed of $7.5 million in cap space and gets a return for a player who will be gone after the year.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why does that matter? We can afford him this year.

Why would we want Kane to sign an extension?

Because if you are going to trade assets for Kane, you would want to have him for more than one season.  He is a UFA in 12 months.

Also, if you thinking that signing an extension would change his contract for this coming season, that’s not how it works.  An extension would only kick in after his current contract ends.  The contract renegotiation stuff is only a thing in the NFL.  NHL, NBA, and MLB don’t do that because they have fully guaranteed contracts.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good point in the last few. Chicago isn't going to take less from the Sabres because the Sabres, unlike many teams, can take the entire salary. If it comes down to A Sabres pick + prospect for Kane vs someone else's two picks and a prospect for Kane w/50% retained, I have to think Chicago takes the latter every time. They need the cap hit and the assets. The only way the Sabres make this trade is if Kane forces it (won't waive for anyone else, etc.).

We can see if he wants to be a Sabre next July.

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

Good point in the last few. Chicago isn't going to take less from the Sabres because the Sabres, unlike many teams, can take the entire salary. If it comes down to A Sabres pick + prospect for Kane vs someone else's two picks and a prospect for Kane w/50% retained, I have to think Chicago takes the latter every time. They need the cap hit and the assets. The only way the Sabres make this trade is if Kane forces it (won't waive for anyone else, etc.).

We can see if he wants to be a Sabre next July.

This is so clearly the case. I'm not sure why the Buffalo boys can't just wait another year and keep ALL our young assets including picks.

And if he doesn't want to take a hometown discount to come here, I don't want him at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JoeSchmoe said:

This is so clearly the case. I'm not sure why the Buffalo boys can't just wait another year and keep ALL our young assets including picks.

And if he doesn't want to take a hometown discount to come here, I don't want him at all.

Maybe he wants to get out of Chicago now, not next summer.

Maybe his want-to-be-here fades if his love for Buffalo is not reciprocated, or if he moves elsewhere first and finds a good fit there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

Good point in the last few. Chicago isn't going to take less from the Sabres because the Sabres, unlike many teams, can take the entire salary. If it comes down to A Sabres pick + prospect for Kane vs someone else's two picks and a prospect for Kane w/50% retained, I have to think Chicago takes the latter every time. They need the cap hit and the assets. The only way the Sabres make this trade is if Kane forces it (won't waive for anyone else, etc.).

We can see if he wants to be a Sabre next July.

Then buffalo doesn't trade for kane.

 

 They're finally in the driver's seat

Edited by Buffalonill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Maybe his want-to-be-here fades if his love for Buffalo is not reciprocated, or if he moves elsewhere first and finds a good fit there.

Then it wasn't meant to be.

If we're going to spend any future assets, it should be on a goalie mentor for Levi and maybe a veteren RHD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Why would we want Kane to sign an extension?

Because if you are going to trade assets for Kane, you would want to have him for more than one season.  He is a UFA in 12 months.

Also, if you thinking that signing an extension would change his contract for this coming season, that’s not how it works.  An extension would only kick in after his current contract ends.  The contract renegotiation stuff is only a thing in the NFL.  NHL, NBA, and MLB don’t do that because they have fully guaranteed contracts.

I had envisioned a Blackhawks team desperate to shed cap and the Sabres sauntering in saying "we'll do you a favor and take Kane off your hands." That was before the draft day fire sale in Chicago. 

Now after the trades of Dach and DeBrincat, that becomes less likely. I was never in favor of trading significant assets for Kane this year. I didn't believe the Sabres had to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone on here is in favour of trading significant assets for Kane.

I see two viewpoints, usually talking past each other:

  • 'Doesn't fit, don't want to pay for him'
  • 'If we could get him at a Taylor Hall price'
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I've seen talk about how Kane made Debrincat and he can't reproduce that in Ottawa. Well wouldn't we want similar result from say Cozens? What if he can turn Cozens into a ppg type player for the next couple seasons and accelerate his growth? Would have two legit top lines in the entire league.  Olofson, a first and maybe Portillo or Peterka? Quinn is untouchable to me. Sign Kane to 3 year extension.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think anyone on here is in favour of trading significant assets for Kane.

I see two viewpoints, usually talking past each other:

  • 'Doesn't fit, don't want to pay for him'
  • 'If we could get him at a Taylor Hall price'

There's a rumor on another site that Terry really wants Kane and there's a 90% chance a trade gets done. Probably nonsense, but you never know. If the price is minimal, I don't see how anyone could be against it. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think anyone on here is in favour of trading significant assets for Kane.

I see two viewpoints, usually talking past each other:

  • 'Doesn't fit, don't want to pay for him'
  • 'If we could get him at a Taylor Hall price'

You haven’t visited the hockeybuzz comments section where the poster ( a Sabres fan) was adamant  on giving up Cozens, Krebs and two 1sts for Kane🤣🤣🤣🤣

Giving DeBrincat And Dach away for less then market value, throwing Strome and Kubalik away for nothing I can’t tell if Davidson is incompetent or just doesn’t care. Maybe he wants to start Mrazek and go for the record for least points in a season.

Something tells me that the Kane return will be less then stellar. That Bishop contract would be a good piece to throw into a deal for him if it were to happen.

Edited by Flashsabre
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, aristocrat said:

So I've seen talk about how Kane made Debrincat and he can't reproduce that in Ottawa. Well wouldn't we want similar result from say Cozens? What if he can turn Cozens into a ppg type player for the next couple seasons and accelerate his growth? Would have two legit top lines in the entire league.  Olofson, a first and maybe Portillo or Peterka? Quinn is untouchable to me. Sign Kane to 3 year extension.

The other thing I've read is he is so irresponsible/indifferent on defense that he broke Dach. Still think on balance, you get him if the price is right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, aristocrat said:

So I've seen talk about how Kane made Debrincat and he can't reproduce that in Ottawa. Well wouldn't we want similar result from say Cozens? What if he can turn Cozens into a ppg type player for the next couple seasons and accelerate his growth? Would have two legit top lines in the entire league.  Olofson, a first and maybe Portillo or Peterka? Quinn is untouchable to me. Sign Kane to 3 year extension.

1 year of Kane is not worth that much to me. If it was a sign and trade it would be more expensive, (probably similar to your proposed trade) and I don’t think I would do that. By the time we are really ready for cup contention, Kane will likely have slowed down a decent bit, and his cap hit likely won’t match with his production. Not worth it IMO. If we can get him at the cost we got Skinner, I’d do it, but not much more.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Flashsabre said:

You haven’t visited the hockeybuzz comments section where the poster was adamant  on giving up Cozens, Krebs and two 1sts for Kane🤣🤣🤣🤣

Giving DeBrincat And Dach away for less then market value, throwing Strome and Kubalik away for nothing I can’t tell if Davidson is incompetent or just doesn’t care. Maybe he wants to start Mrazek and go for the record for least points in a season.

Something tells me that the Kane return will be less then stellar. That Bishop contract would be a good piece to throw into a deal for him if it were to happen.

I think Strome is worth bringing in as well. Then make a play for Kuemper. If the Gibson rumors are true, term is less of an issue than some have speculated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

The other thing I've read is he is so irresponsible/indifferent on defense that he broke Dach. Still think on balance, you get him if the price is right.

Dach wasn’t playing as his center, correct? 
And if he was playing center between Debrincat and Kane, his production was horrible considering he would have been between 2 ppg players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, sabresparaavida said:

Dach wasn’t playing as his center, correct? 
And if he was playing center between Debrincat and Kane, his production was horrible considering he would have been between 2 ppg players.

I'm not really agreeing with the opinion, just stating something negative I read on another board. As I said, if the price is not exorbitant, I would try and bring Kane in, even if it is outside our timeline parameters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

So I've seen talk about how Kane made Debrincat and he can't reproduce that in Ottawa. Well wouldn't we want similar result from say Cozens? What if he can turn Cozens into a ppg type player for the next couple seasons and accelerate his growth? Would have two legit top lines in the entire league.  Olofson, a first and maybe Portillo or Peterka? Quinn is untouchable to me. Sign Kane to 3 year extension.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9527c43618bf20bbf4ee

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

There's a rumor on another site that Terry really wants Kane and there's a 90% chance a trade gets done. Probably nonsense, but you never know. If the price is minimal, I don't see how anyone could be against it. 

What thing that Terry has strongly wanted had ended up being a good thing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2022 at 10:03 AM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

We have thought / wished this for years.  Well, not all of us fans.

My big concern is has he matured, which I think he probably has now that he is 33.

For whatever reason this offseason feels a bit different on the P. Kane front, as least to me.  With all the draft picks the Sabres have plus them getting to see where they stand on some of the kids I feel it's likely to happen.  The Hawks must be at the point where they are ready to try to move on from there dynamic duo.

Mitts, VO and #16 for Kane ??  Maybe #28 and a 3rd rounder instead of #16 ??

 

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think anyone on here is in favour of trading significant assets for Kane.

I see two viewpoints, usually talking past each other:

  • 'Doesn't fit, don't want to pay for him'
  • 'If we could get him at a Taylor Hall price'

Are you sure about that?

I would still pay a lot for Kane and he is worth it.

That does not mean that I think KA will do it.  I don't think KA will do anything on the Kane front this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...