Jump to content

Patrick Kane


tom webster
 Share

Recommended Posts

I know. I know.

However, there continues to be rumblings of a Kane to Buffalo move. It is still unlikely to happen for a myriad of reasons. 
Three big reasons why it may?

1) Chicago is looking for a graceful exit strategy for both Kane and Toews.

2) Kane has always told those close to him that he has thought about finishing his career here.

3) Buffalo is one of the few teams that could absorb the contract.

Like I said, there are more reasons why it won’t happen including the fact that Buffalo is a year away from being ready for it but as I’ve always told my kids, be ready to change your plans because the timing may not be right, but you can’t always control the timing.

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I know. I know.

However, there continues to be rumblings of a Kane to Buffalo move. It is still unlikely to happen for a myriad of reasons. 
Three big reasons why it may?

1) Chicago is looking for a graceful exit strategy for both Kane and Toews.

2) Kane has always told those close to him that he has thought about finishing his career here.

3) Buffalo is one of the few teams that could absorb the contract.

Like I said, there are more reasons why it won’t happen including the fact that Buffalo is a year away from being ready for it but as I’ve always told my kids, be ready to change your plans because the timing may not be right, but you can’t always control the timing.

 

I welcome the move because he doesn't need to be "the guy" and he can help the extremely young crop of forwards develop.  All great teams have a depth guy like this on their roster.  

I also think we don't have to give up much more than a middling prospect or second round pick, and a late round pick to get him because he is owed $6.9M in cash for next season (including a $4M signing bonus). 

My guess is that if he will be traded, he will get traded before he received his signing bonus for this season.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have thought / wished this for years.  Well, not all of us fans.

My big concern is has he matured, which I think he probably has now that he is 33.

For whatever reason this offseason feels a bit different on the P. Kane front, as least to me.  With all the draft picks the Sabres have plus them getting to see where they stand on some of the kids I feel it's likely to happen.  The Hawks must be at the point where they are ready to try to move on from there dynamic duo.

Mitts, VO and #16 for Kane ??  Maybe #28 and a 3rd rounder instead of #16 ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah. I'd hope that he's grown up some considering he's 33 years old, but I was riding my motorcycle 50 miles down to Philly for beers on Tuesday nights at that age, so I wouldn't count on it. Apparently he has a kid with his girlfriend, that does change a person though.

And, with all the negative personal things, I don't think he's earned a chance. I haven't kept track of the whole Chicago hazing thing but if he was involved I'd be wary. People can learn from mistakes, but there are mistakes and there are evil deeds. I seriously doubt we'd be talking about him if he weren't from Buffalo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Mitts, VO and #16 for Kane ??  Maybe #28 and a 3rd rounder instead of #16 ??

This seems like a huge overpay when there are only a handful of teams that could take on this contract and he has a full NMC.  

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I know. I know.

However, there continues to be rumblings of a Kane to Buffalo move. It is still unlikely to happen for a myriad of reasons. 
Three big reasons why it may?

1) Chicago is looking for a graceful exit strategy for both Kane and Toews.

2) Kane has always told those close to him that he has thought about finishing his career here.

3) Buffalo is one of the few teams that could absorb the contract.

Like I said, there are more reasons why it won’t happen including the fact that Buffalo is a year away from being ready for it but as I’ve always told my kids, be ready to change your plans because the timing may not be right, but you can’t always control the timing.

 

Are there actually rumblings of a Kane to Buffalo move though?  I’ve heard none.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Mitts, VO and #16 for Kane ??  Maybe #28 and a 3rd rounder instead of #16 ??

Oh my goodness.  If he actually wants to go to Buffalo why would the Sabres trade a single thing for him?  Simply sign him as a UFA in 13 months.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

This seems like a huge overpay when there are only a handful of teams that could take on this contract and he has a full NMC.  

I know, but if Chicago is going to move on then they will want something for him.

Okay, how about some lower level not in the nhl yet prospect and VO and #28.  The Hawks will demand a first for him and the Sabres can give it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

This seems like a huge overpay when there are only a handful of teams that could take on this contract and he has a full NMC.  

I agree. From the sounds of it they're trying to rebuild. He apparently had a good season last year, and with one year remaining I think some team closer to the cup will offer more for a big push to win it all in 2023 (or at the deadline). If he's serious about playing for Buffalo, I'd wait out this year and see if he hits UFA. That's putting aside the off-ice stuff, I still have doubts there)

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Oh my goodness.  If he actually wants to go to Buffalo why would the Sabres trade a single thing for him?  Simply sign him nasty a UFA in 13 months.

The Hawks will not trade him for nothing.  He is going to be traded this summer or not at all and he will finish his career in Chicago.

I would say it's about 50/50.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

@tom webster is a poster who actually has reliable sources, so if he says so he should be believed.

All that is out there publicly are click baters bating for clicks.

I know Tom has some sources, so I’m curious if he means real rumblings from sources or if he is just talking about fan led nonsense.

Not all media is unreliable.  Plus, even if they were just all chasing clicks, if there were rumblings around the league about Kane to Buffalo they would surely share that info because it would generate tons of clicks.  No reason to withhold it.  Yet, I’ve seen no public discussion of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I know, but if Chicago is going to move on then they will want something for him.

Okay, how about some lower level not in the nhl yet prospect and VO and #28.  The Hawks will demand a first for him and the Sabres can give it.

It's good to want things.  I can think of 6.9M things the Hawks want more than Kane on a losing team next year.  Chicago would be thrilled to take a 2nd rounder and a prospect all day long for this contract and the baggage (real or perceived) that comes along with him.  This is what weaponized cap space looks like in my book 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

I know Tom has some sources, so I’m curious if he means real rumblings from sources or if he is just talking about fan led nonsense.

Not all media is unreliable.  Plus, even if they were just all chasing clicks, if there were rumblings around the league about Kane to Buffalo they would surely share that info because it would generate tons of clicks.  No reason to withhold it.  Yet, I’ve seen no public discussion of it.

Tom doesn't post nonsense.

I bet we will here more from the Fridge et al after the finals end.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

are you willing to trade Quinn and the 9th over all pick for him and take on his salary? 

No.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The Hawks will not trade him for nothing.  He is going to be traded this summer or not at all and he will finish his career in Chicago.

I would say it's about 50/50.

Why do you assume the bolded?  He is a UFA next offseason.  Why is it a guarantee that he resigns with Chicago, especially if he actually wants to go to Buffalo to finish his career as is being suggested.  Kane has 100% control over if and where he goes in this situation and Chicago has almost none.  He can’t be traded anywhere unless he approves the trade, and he is free to sign anywhere he likes in 13 months.

If Buffalo wants him and he wants Buffalo, he’ll come here.  If he doesn’t want to come here then he won’t.  He holds all the cards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

It's good to want things.  I can think of 6.9M things the Hawks want more than Kane on a losing team next year.  Chicago would be thrilled to take a 2nd rounder and a prospect all day long for this contract and the baggage (real or perceived) that comes along with him.  This is what weaponized cap space looks like in my book 🙂 

You maybe right.  There is not a big market for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he wants to be here, then he can sign as a UFA next season. I don't give up any resources with which the Sabres' foundation is still being constructed for a single season at that salary, because then he has additional leverage in his extension (even a home discount) -- the Skinner effect.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Tom doesn't post nonsense.

I bet we will here more from the Fridge et al after the finals end.

Tom didn’t say that it was sourced information.  I’m curious whether it is or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Why do you assume the bolded?  He is a UFA next offseason.  Why is it a guarantee that he resigns with Chicago, especially if he actually wants to go to Buffalo to finish his career as is being suggested.  Kane has 100% control over if and where he goes in this situation and Chicago has almost none.  He can’t be traded anywhere unless he approves the trade, and he is free to sign anywhere he likes in 13 months.

If Buffalo wants him and he wants Buffalo, he’ll come here.  If he doesn’t want to come here then he won’t.  He holds all the cards.

The Hawks will not let him walk in fa.  If he won't allow a trade he will sign with Chicago to ebd his career there.  I think he will either accept a trade to Buffalo or sign a cheap deal in Chicago to finish his career there.  I don't think he wants to play anywhere other than Chicago or Buffalo.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

If he wants to be here, then he can sign as a UFA next season. I don't give up any resources with which the Sabres' foundation is still being constructed for a single season at that salary, because then he has additional leverage in his extension (even a home discount) -- the Skinner effect.

This is my concern too, but I think KA has a vision and Kane seems like someone that we could get an actual hometown discount on.  He's made over $110M in just salary so far in his career.  I can see him coming to the Sabres this season and then signing a 3 year deal for $1M AAV after the season if the team sniffs the playoffs.  The Sabres are going to be contenders in 2-4 years, no?  Kane will want to take another shot at a cup so the Sabres might be his best bet to make it happen, and with him on our 2nd/3rd line and 2nd PP unit we should be a playoff team.

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
2nd/3rd line
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

Tom didn’t say that it was sourced information.  I’m curious whether it is or not.

Again, when Tom says he has heard rumblings it's not twitter or whatever chatter.

He never says my sources say this or that.  He doesn't have to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think there is a near 0% chance the Sabres trade for Kane this off-season. A trade for a player with Kane’s pedigree raises the fan expectation level for immediate success far beyond what the current regime has interest in. All indications are that the organization is in the stage of wanting expectations to grow organically as the team’s young players get better. A Kane acquisition this summer changes the dynamics in ways that the hierarchy has no desire for. 
 

  • Thanks (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

This is my concern too, but I think KA has a vision and Kane seems like someone that we could get an actual hometown discount on.  He's made over $110M in just salary so far in his career.  I can see him coming to the Sabres this season and then signing a 3 year deal for $1M AAV after the season if the team sniffs the playoffs.  The Sabres are going to be contenders in 2-4 years, no?  Kane will want to take another shot at a cup so the Sabres might be his best bet to make it happen, and with him on our 2nd/3rd line and 2nd PP unit we should be a playoff team.

That's a little more hometown-discount than I think is possible. If you're still planning to play him middle 6 and PP time then you're anticipating 50ish points (and I think he'll have this production level for a few more seasons as well). 

And right now, he's still a PPG player. He's still outproducing Eichel every single year (except one). He can easily go get $6M+ on the open market for the next 2-3 years and then pull a veteran minimum Giordano contract when he's 37-39 back with the Sabres blue and gold.

Edited by DarthEbriate
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...