For the first time in I'm not sure how long, I don't want the season to end...

matter2003

28 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Wtf?  Anderson & Butcher are looking at Skinner who's looking back at Andy.  Tuch & Pysyk are chatting.  Wilfred (or whatever the D bench coach' name is) & the guy next to him are looking at Bales (presumably).

Jokiharju & Krebs are also chatting.  Somebody in the back is playing w/ his hair.  And Okposo & Girgensons are stifling a laugh.

And Terry Pegula's doing the "me so proud" crossed arms pose.

[Edit: plus there's a random intern blocking a few people & 2 others with their backs to the camera.]

That's the best take of the bunch?

Where did they find the photographer?  Was it put your incompetent to work day?

Edited by Taro T
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Wtf?  Anderson & Butcher are looking at Skinner who's looking back at Andy.  Tuch & Pysyk are chatting.  Wilfred (or whatever the D bench coach' name is) & the guy next to him are looking at Bales (presumably).

Jokiharju & Krebs are also chatting.  Somebody in the back is playing w/ his hair.  And Okposo & Girgensons are stifling a laugh.

Where did they find the photographer?  Was it put your invalid to work day?

Pretty sure that's a picture of a picture about to be taken.

And even my peers down at the Groves don't say invalid anymore.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Where did they find the photographer?  Was it put your invalid to work day?

Pegula is doing the "I'm trying not to show how fat I have gotten" arms cross pose

• Haha (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, Taro T said:

[Edit: plus there's a random intern blocking a few people & 2 others with their backs to the camera.]

Where did they find the photographer?  Was it put your incompetent to work day?

That isn’t the actual team picture as evidenced by the people in the foreground and in one case in the way. 

4 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I too hate that our season is nearly over, but I am anxious to see what happens in July with the draft and other possible additions.  Every off-season has some drama in terms of changes, but this is maybe the first summer where my optimism for next season is genuine.

Over the last decade, when this kid has been optimistic, it's always been genuine.

If it's there again this fall, there's a possibility it won't be misguided.

I have watched more games in the last month than I have the last 3 years combined for sure. The Sabres were dead on a vine and I had no interest in watching hockey at all. I NEVER thought that would ever happen to me with  a Buffalo sports team, I have have hung around for a lot of crap years for Bills and Sabes. 

When Eichel, Reinhart and Risto left, I thought it would be another 5 years. Nobody is more shocked than me that it only took until March to get back to my love of the sport. Next year is going to be fun but it does stink to have Tampa and Florida in the division. 

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

I too hate that our season is nearly over, but I am anxious to see what happens in July with the draft and other possible additions.  Every off-season has some drama in terms of changes, but this is maybe the first summer where my optimism for next season is genuine.

I understand the concept of the thread, 'hating' the season is over when they are playing pretty well, but for me, its time.  Yes, they are playing well, but even if a new season started today, this team isn't a cup contender.  How they are playing now is the VERY WAY we hoped this season would end when that time came.  That goal achieved.  Now the offseason is the next step to look forward to.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, mjd1001 said:

I understand the concept of the thread, 'hating' the season is over when they are playing pretty well, but for me, its time.  Yes, they are playing well, but even if a new season started today, this team isn't a cup contender.  How they are playing now is the VERY WAY we hoped this season would end when that time came.  That goal achieved.  Now the offseason is the next step to look forward to.

I think those looking for sweeping upgrades are going to be disappointed.

We're going to add a goalie and an RD and upgrade Eakin. None of those 3 will be big names.

Adams will be counting on internal growth from UPL, MItts, Quinn, Power, Krebs, Cozens and Peterka.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We're going to add a goalie and an RD and upgrade Eakin. None of those 3 will be big names.

Adams will be counting on internal growth from UPL, MItts, Quinn, Power, Krebs, Cozens and Peterka.

And I'm fine with it, but any upgrades will happen in the offseason....including Mitts getting healthy (if he isn't 100% now) and the young guys developing into a new season.  Point is while the games are fun for me now because they are winning, the next step isn't being taken now...any step (large or small) will be taken in the offseason or early next season.

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Could possibly see 1 additional upgrade that would be more significant, but really have no idea who it would be for.  Guess would be for another Tuch style player to basically be able to roll 3 lines worth of a truly heavy forechecker once Cozens completely fills out.  (Would then leave Okposo in that role on the 4th line for now w/ Asplund taking on the role for the 4th line in the future (and going against lesser competition, it could very well work).)

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if this optimism that most of us feel about the team is shared by the players themselves. Surely it must. (Insert 'Airplane!' bit here). And assuming so, might it result in the players pushing themselves, and each other where possible, a little harder than they otherwise might during the offseason? Anyone have any first-hand experience with this type of situation?

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Yup, and they have a plethora of cap space.

16 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

I wonder if this optimism that most of us feel about the team is shared by the players themselves. Surely it must. (Insert 'Airplane!' bit here). And assuming so, might it result in the players pushing themselves, and each other where possible, a little harder than they otherwise might during the offseason? Anyone have any first-hand experience with this type of situation?

Part of why I’m feeling optimistic is that everything I hear from the players and coaches screams optimism.

I’ve specifically heard them speak to the bolded and suspect we will hear a lot of that on locker room clean out day.

This is the first year in a loooong time where the end of the season doesn't leave me thinking, "thank god it's almost over". It's been so refreshing to watch fun hockey again.

Next year I'm putting $100 towards the Sabres making the playoffs if the odds look right and will use those winnings to buy a ticket to Game 6 of the stanley cup finals in Key Bank Center in which we clinch the series, 4-2 vs Vegas, raising the cup at home. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

This is the first year in a loooong time where the end of the season doesn't leave me thinking, "thank god it's almost over". It's been so refreshing to watch fun hockey again.

Next year I'm putting $100 towards the Sabres making the playoffs if the odds look right and will use those winnings to buy a ticket to Game 6 of the stanley cup finals in Key Bank Center in which we clinch the series, 4-2 vs Vegas, raising the cup at home. 

Vegas is not going that deep for a long while.

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I enjoyed this season.  I cant remember the last time I said that.  

A very likeable team is forming.  

We are just a few moves away from challenging for the playoffs.  

I'd change that to "I enjoyed the second half of the season."  First half had moments but was still pretty painful to watch at times.

"likeable" is a good way to put it though. I used to dislike a lot of players on our team. Hated some and was just annoyed by some others (and the big 3 fall into that) but now I can't think of anybody I hate. Maybe Bjork. There's indifference to a few (Butcher, Eakin, Hayden, Pysyk) but no real hate and none of them are part of the plan moving forward I imagine. 

We are a few moves away (especially goaltending) but the question is will we make those moves? Or will Adams just wait for more kids to develop and eventually fill those weak spots? idk. 

49 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd change that to "I enjoyed the second half of the season."  First half had moments but was still pretty painful to watch at times.

"likeable" is a good way to put it though. I used to dislike a lot of players on our team. Hated some and was just annoyed by some others (and the big 3 fall into that) but now I can't think of anybody I hate. Maybe Bjork. There's indifference to a few (Butcher, Eakin, Hayden, Pysyk) but no real hate and none of them are part of the plan moving forward I imagine. 

We are a few moves away (especially goaltending) but the question is will we make those moves? Or will Adams just wait for more kids to develop and eventually fill those weak spots? idk. 

I am thankful that we had a very good second half - which coincides with Anderson, Mitts, Tuch and Girgs getting healthy, and Krebs coming on.  I was worried some fans and media would lose patience with DG.  

To be honest, I cringe when people that say they hate players, people that they don’t know.  Some players I just want to move on from because I think we can’t win with them.  

I say this a lot - get a goid goalie, a veteran RHD, and a solid 2 way center.  Make everyone work for jobs. 

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Same here. It's going to be a drag without Sabres games to look forward to.

Normally I get through the summer on baseball.  But here in north Texas our team has already been eliminated from the playoff hunt (technically the Rangers are still in it, but they are in second last place in the whole league, 12 games into a 162 game season and I'm not expecting a turnaround.)

It's gonna be a long summer.

14 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I agree with this thread title so much. Thanks for posting @matter2003

The Sabre fans in my office were reminiscing the other day about what things were like in Buffalo when the team was good - the Hasek years, sure (although that felt more precarious to me), but more so the 2005-2007 teams. When you're in a town that sees a real winter and has 4 seasons, there's something uniquely intoxicating about your hockey team making a playoff run in the spring. Such a perfect combination. (And at the risk of a heresy: Playoff football cannot compare in that regard.)

Anyway. I've been thinking so much lately about how much I'm going to miss this team. I do believe that the organ-eye-zay-shun has turned a corner, that they are on a good path, and that next season should be one where they're in the mix. But I'm also cognizant that this season is this season. Now is now. There are no guarantees that the team will "be" the same way next season. And I mean, sh1t -- they might be better next season. Hopefully they will be. I think there's a good chance they will be. But there's been something so enjoyable about this team - the way it evolved, came together, grew. I hate to see them go.

Let's go, Buffalo!

This is a wonderful observation. It’s something I have definitely experienced, just never put into words.

As fun as the end has been, I’m ready for this season to be over. Ready for some games that matter.

I soooooo want this to be the hockey we get to see in October. Man, is it a joy to watch.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.