For the first time in I'm not sure how long, I don't want the season to end...

matter2003

I agree with this thread title so much. Thanks for posting @matter2003

The Sabre fans in my office were reminiscing the other day about what things were like in Buffalo when the team was good - the Hasek years, sure (although that felt more precarious to me), but more so the 2005-2007 teams. When you're in a town that sees a real winter and has 4 seasons, there's something uniquely intoxicating about your hockey team making a playoff run in the spring. Such a perfect combination. (And at the risk of a heresy: Playoff football cannot compare in that regard.)

Anyway. I've been thinking so much lately about how much I'm going to miss this team. I do believe that the organ-eye-zay-shun has turned a corner, that they are on a good path, and that next season should be one where they're in the mix. But I'm also cognizant that this season is this season. Now is now. There are no guarantees that the team will "be" the same way next season. And I mean, sh1t -- they might be better next season. Hopefully they will be. I think there's a good chance they will be. But there's been something so enjoyable about this team - the way it evolved, came together, grew. I hate to see them go.

Let's go, Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I agree with this thread title so much. Thanks for posting @matter2003

The Sabre fans in my office were reminiscing the other day about what things were like in Buffalo when the team was good - the Hasek years, sure (although that felt more precarious to me), but more so the 2005-2007 teams. When you're in a town that sees a real winter and has 4 seasons, there's something uniquely intoxicating about your hockey team making a playoff run in the spring. Such a perfect combination. (And at the risk of a heresy: Playoff football cannot compare in that regard.)

Anyway. I've been thinking so much lately about how much I'm going to miss this team. I do believe that the organ-eye-zay-shun has turned a corner, that they are on a good path, and that next season should be one where they're in the mix. But I'm also cognizant that this season is this season. Now is now. There are no guarantees that the team will "be" the same way next season. And I mean, sh1t -- they might be better next season. Hopefully they will be. I think there's a good chance they will be. But there's been something so enjoyable about this team - the way it evolved, came together, grew. I hate to see them go.

Let's go, Buffalo!

Yeah, this team has been fun to watch for the most part which is a significant improvement over the last 5 years at a minimum.

The cool thing is, for the 1st time in ages, the vast majority of this team will be back in October and we, as fans, are actually looking forward to that possibility rather than dreading it.  And the handful that won't be back will be upgraded.  The only guys that were useful this year that might not be back are Hinostroza, Pysyk, and Anderson (Eakin was useful on the GEO line & in OT, but not for much else on ice, & doubt he's back either) and pretty sure it will be their decision not to come back if they don't.  Pysyk has been bumped to 7D for this stretch run (which is ideally where he'd be if he comes back, so he might look for an opportunity where he can be in the top 6 regularly).

Still not convinced Adams will get the GT right, but am hopeful of it.  He really does have a team that plays hard for each other & want to be here.  He knows GT (and the age of the skaters, they aren't finished products yet) is the main thing holding them back.  Can't do anything about the latter, but he has a huge say in the former.  

Am fine w/ this season ending because this team is so far back, it can do nothing but play for pride & individual development.  Want to see how long this team can play at a playoff pace when losses actually matter.  That isn't an option at this point of this season.  But hopefully, we get not just the fun of watching these guys play well and truly joyfully, but also in games that matter.

The Eulers team that snuck into the playoffs and knocked off the Habs in '81 were having so much fun in the moment they were actually chanting/singing on the bench.  Want to be a part of these guys experiencing that and that CAN'T happen this season.  They're too buried.  But it COULD happen as soon as next season.  (Probably have to wait 1 more year for that, but it might.)  And that's going to blow the doors off what we're getting now.

This kid's ready to see if they can take the next step.  (But also hasn't tried to sell any tix in the last month & a half, so totally get where the OP is coming from.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Hopium is a wonderful thing.  

Thanks to the guys for at least making fun to turn on the TV again.

People here have talked about the turnaround in 2003-04.  That year from game 55 forward the Sabres went 14-8-3-2 (T & OTL) for 33 points in their last 27 games.

This season with 3 games to go, the Sabres are 14-7-3 for 31 pts in their last 24 games against one of the most brutal schedules I can remember.  One other good point is that they comeback to play in the fall unlike in 2004 when the lockout occurred keeping Miller, Roy, Vanek, Gaustad, and Pominville on the farm an extra year.  Next season Quinn and JJP get to join the Sabres and hopefully give the offense a shot in the arm worthy of Vanek and Pommers.  If we are really lucky, UPL channels Miller.

• Like (+1) 6

The only reason I want the season to end, is so we can wipe the slate clean and get started with these guys and whoever else may be joining them next season. 

Not expecting much but an upgrade in goal, RHD and a bottom 6 guy may be in order. 

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

People here have talked about the turnaround in 2003-04.  That year from game 55 forward the Sabres went 14-8-3-2 (T & OTL) for 33 points in their last 27 games.

This season with 3 games to go, the Sabres are 14-7-3 for 31 pts in their last 24 games against one of the most brutal schedules I can remember.  One other good point is that they comeback to play in the fall unlike in 2004 when the lockout occurred keeping Miller, Roy, Vanek, Gaustad, and Pominville on the farm an extra year.  Next season Quinn and JJP get to join the Sabres and hopefully give the offense a shot in the arm worthy of Vanek and Pommers.  If we are really lucky, UPL channels Miller.

Hopium is not right I don't think.  That means it is a false hope or hope with no reason for it, like sk many years with the Bills during the drought.  There is real reason to be excited about this team moving forward with the glut of young talent they have ready to come up and the ones already here that should improve over the next few years.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

I am legit looking forward to each game at this point, which is pretty amazing given how buried in the standings they are.

I will continue to reserve judgment until the games and standings matter, which hasn’t been the case in the last 7 weeks.  But I don’t think the team spirit and fast, exciting play they’ve been showing is a mirage either.

It’s also very reasonable to be excited about Power and Quinn next season, and possibly JJP too.

And if they bring in a real goalie and a solid defenseman this summer?  I am going to make all kinds of outlandish predictions for next season.

Go Sabres.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, buffalo76 said:

The Sabres are not back to appointment viewing for me, but I am confident they will be by October.  This group believes in each other and I am starting to believe in them.

Welcome back!

28 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I've posted about the goaltenders in other threads...in short, metrics wise other than UPL they have been brutal. Out of 75 goalies, none rank higher than 48th other than UPL who ranks 35 I believe, slightly below league average but with very respectable numbers.  IMO, his biggest issue is rebound control where his metric is near the worst in the NHL(71st out of 75). His biggest chance for improving is to get better at that, which should happen as he matures, but the question is how much better can he becomes at that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I've posted about the goaltenders in other threads...in short, metrics wise other than UPL they have been brutal. Out of 75 goalies, none rank higher than 48th other than UPL who ranks 35 I believe, slightly below league average but with very respectable numbers.  IMO, his biggest issue is rebound control where his metric is near the worst in the NHL(71st out of 75). His biggest chance for improving is to get better at that, which should happen as he matures, but the question is how much better can he becomes at that.

Good thing we have really tall defenders with long reach who can clear the rebounds.... he says hoping that is the case. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am glad that the team and we fans are no longer the butt of every single joke about the state of the team.  It got very tiresome.

I am glad that the franchise and the players are getting respect from other players and members of other people in hockey operations.  Even pundits may even sometimes grudgingly consider the eventuality, however unlikely, that it might be remotely possible that the Sabres could possibly become potentially not the complete, abject embarrassment which they have been for over a decade.

• Like (+1) 1

Also a good sign of progress is since March(last 25 games), this team is averaging 3.2 goals per game versus 2.67 goals per game in their previous 54.  That is a very significant improvement and the fact it came against many of the top teams in the NHL over that timeframe who are fighting for playoff position is very impressive.  That even includes a few shutouts and 1 goal performances in there when they were gassed after multiple games in short timeframes or the few times they just didn't have it on a given night. 

They have scored 4 or more goals 44% of those games in that time span versus only 29% in the other 54 games.  Seems to coincide with Tuch and Krebs becoming more integrated and comfortable in the lineup and why wouldn't it?  They have both been very good adds for this team. Also players returning from injury(Middlestadt and Samuelsson) along with Olafsson getting back to being fully healthy which took a while after he came back due to the type of injury it was affecting his shot.

A lot to look forward to next year and what should be a pivotal year in the growth of this team from bottom feeders to playoff contenders.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I am glad that the team and we fans are no longer the butt of every single joke about the state of the team.  It got very tiresome.

I am glad that the franchise and the players are getting respect from other players and members of other people in hockey operations.  Even pundits may even sometimes grudgingly consider the eventuality, however unlikely, that it might be remotely possible that the Sabres could possibly become potentially not the complete, abject embarrassment which they have been for over a decade.

Couple recent national podcasts (I think Custance and Marek) made a point of saying something good and long overdue is happening in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Cage said:

I've watched more games this year than the last ten combined!

I've been watching all along.  I think the only time it dropped off for me is just before Krueger was fired.  But I wanted to watch the youth and see them develop.  It's just a damned shame we didn't have a better head coach until now. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.