Erik Portillo returning to Michigan Per Friedman

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Are you even a Sabres fan?

One can be a Sabres fan and still respect someones decision to stay in college.  Usually fans complain about greedy athletes, now some complain when they delay a nice contract to continue in school. This is why athletes shouldn't listen to fans and only to close friends and family.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not so sure about that, especially with Levi.  A UPL / Levi tandem would have been a nice way to start the season.  

I'm kinda leery of tossing more kids to the wolves too soon.  A quality vet (or two depending on how things shake out) was always going to be required.  IMHO

• Thanks (+1) 1

Wow.  What anger!  

Kid go back to college. Have fun! Maybe they’ll actually play defense in front of you next fall.  

Now KA re-sign Anderson, get a vet like Varlamov to pair with him.  Keep UPL in Rochester.  Also get UPL some D in Rochester.  Perfect.  Let UPL prove he’s ready.  

Let’s ride real veteran goaltending to the playoffs.  Problems solved.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

One can be a Sabres fan and still respect someones decision to stay in college.  Usually fans complain about greedy athletes, now some complain when they delay a nice contract to continue in school. This is why athletes shouldn't listen to fans and only to close friends and family.

It doesn't mean much to me whether a stranger like Portillo graduates from college or not. 

But as a fan of the Sabres, I do care if he walks as a UFA. By the end of next college season, he'll be pretty close to doing so.

That said, here's an interesting stat... For every 1000 shots:

Levi lets in 48 goals

Portillo lets in 74 goals

Development isn't a straight line, but I think I know which kid I'm putting my chips on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, woods-racer said:

Tom Hiddleston Cheers GIF by Nerdist.com

or it could just be he'd rather play in college than in Rochester.

College Life Drinking GIF

40 games vs 80.  Sold out games with adoring fans vs empty arenas. Free education and a legit chance to compete for a championship vs no chance to compete for a championship any time soon.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Tim Murray is no longer a GM, not sure if any of the current ones would trade assets for basically a UFA.

He's not a free agent yet.

A team could seek permission to see if he is interested in signing with them and if so a deal could be consummated. 

2 minutes ago, Norcal said:

He's not a free agent yet.

A team could seek permission to see if he is interested in signing with them and if so a deal could be consummated. 

I would find out what his honest intentions are. If they are to sign with a different team, I would ask for a list and approach all of these teams to gauge interest. They don’t need to know he’s refusing to sign with us (under this hypothetical situation). 

Either way, at this point, Adams should be making other plans for our goaltending. In reality, Portillo (and probably Levi) will not even be on our roster in 23-24. They aren’t going to be part of any playoff run and even if they are on it, I wouldn’t rely on them. So, go out and sign a proven vet for 3-5 years and team him with UPL. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.