GDT Nashville Predators @ Buffalo Sabres - Rick Jeanneret Banner Ceremony 6:30

SwampD

I confess to being a sporadic Sabres fan over the years. The Bills were more my team. But down here in Raleigh I saw in person both the first and the last games of the Sabres-Hurricanes series in 2006; the Sabres ahead going into that last period but the Canes winning to go on to the SC.

For the most part I checked out on the Sabres over the last ten years, so I missed the misery of those who stuck with them game after game, season after season. 

I got interested again this season, after the split from Eichel. For some reason I got curious about what they might be without him. It was hard to watch them lose two out of every three games October through January. They were, objectively, a bad team. There were so many injuries and the goaltending was a mess. But for stretches they showed signs of life, and I liked what Granato had to say about what he was trying to accomplish with the young players. And then when Tuch was able to play I thought he was a breath of fresh air.

March was very gratifying. They have turned a corner, and the spirit of the team, and the energy they bring, most of the time anyway, to playing, the way they pick themselves up after a loss and redouble their efforts--it's all very engaging. The developing talent and team play, and the prospects of more good young players in the near future. I'm on board again. 

That game last night was terrific. I watched the ESPN streaming with the Predators announcing team, and it was fun to listen to them rather surprised that the Sabres were outplaying the Preds. It was fun! We could all use more of that. 

Edited by Dr K
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr K said:

For the most part I checked out on the Sabres over the last ten years, so I missed the misery of those who stuck with them game after game, season after season. 

I got interested again this season, after the split from Eichel. For some reason I got curious about what they might be without him. It was hard to watch them lose two out of every three games October through January. They were, objectively, a bad team. There were so many injuries and the goaltending was a mess. But for stretches they showed signs of life, and I liked what Granato had to say about what he was trying to accomplish with the young players. And then when Tuch was able to play I thought he was a breath of fresh air.

March was very gratifying. They have turned a corner, and the spirit of the team, and the energy they bring, most of the time anyway, to playing, the way they pick themselves up after a loss and redouble their efforts--it's all very engaging. The developing talent and team play, and the prospects of more good young players in the near future. I'm on board again. 

That game last night was terrific. I watched the ESPN streaming with the Predators announcing team, and it was fun to listen to them rather surprised that the Sabres were outplaying the Preds. It was fun! We could all use more of that. 

If they were surprised at how the Sabres were playing, they didn’t do their homework.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

If they were surprised at how the Sabres were playing, they didn’t do their homework.

Oh, they acknowledged that the Sabres had been playing well, and they gave them lots of praise during the game--they openly pointed out how well the Sabres were choking off the Preds offense, and the individual play of Skinner, Thompson, et. al. I actually was pretty impressed with how they were fair to the Sabres. 

Edited by Dr K
  • Like (+1) 3

That wasn't just a PR stunt last night. That was a great tribute from the entire orginization.

They where ready for a sell out. The KBC staff was super friendly and smiling the whole time, helping old guys navigate total paperless experience ( I like paper tickets and buying my beer with cash, and especially tipping in cash).

Every time there was commercial time out we got great video clips, you really didn't want to leave the sight of a TV/jumbotron.

The *stage* set up in the top of the 120 section of the lower bowl is a nice addition since I was last there (2019). 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I literally choked up in the ceremony. …

Its been flickering all season; this sense that the seeds are there and something worthwhile is growing, something worth cultivating, something worth investing hope and awakening dulled passions.

Thank you Kevyn Adams for giving me my team back.

*This post* has me choking up.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It feels like a lifetime since the Sabres felt like this: management that gets it; players that earn it; And four of the most memorable games of the past decade within weeks of each other.

The Eichel return. The outdoor game. The Chicago comeback.

And then last night.

I literally choked up in the ceremony. The game was everything hockey is meant to be. The epilogue a rare collision of joy and peace. It’s been a long time since everything just felt right about being a Sabresfan.

Its been flickering all season; this sense that the seeds are there and something worthwhile is growing, something worth cultivating, something worth investing hope and awakening dulled passions.

Thank you Kevyn Adams for giving me my team back.

I don't know for sure who was most responsible for selecting Granato to be an assistant coach, and then installing him as the HC after the firing of Krueger. If it were KA then I would say that it was his most consequential decision that goes beyond his roster moves. He got the right person, at the right time for the particular situation. The hiring of Krueger suffocated the talents of the players. The hiring of Granato breathed new life into the same players and allowed their talents to be expressed. How Skinner was handled then in comparison to now demonstrates how critical coaching is to being successful. And moving Tage to center is another example of that. 

• Like (+1) 6

8 minutes ago, Jävə Keith said:

What a perfect night last night. Could not have had a greater experience exposing my son to Buffalo Sabres Community and passion for our team & history.

Historic on so many levels.

#ThankYouRJ

#WeLoveYou

signal-2022-04-01-21-57-51-952~3.jpg

Wegmans had those banners for sale, sold out in 30 minutes

What a great game.  I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that last night could have been a turning point in Sabres history.  The city’s relationship with the team may be healing.  How fitting that it was RJ who, in one of his final acts here, delivered the penicillin.

A smaller, but still significant, factor in the resurrection of the franchise from last night: Cozens is becoming a force.

Go Sabres.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

What a great game.  I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that last night could have been a turning point in Sabres history.  The city’s relationship with the team may be healing.  How fitting that it was RJ who, in one of his final acts here, delivered the penicillin.

A smaller, but still significant, factor in the resurrection of the franchise from last night: Cozens is becoming a force.

Go Sabres.  

I think one of reasons that Cozens doesn't get the credit he deserves for the revitalization of the team is that his game is based on substance with little flash. He, as much as any player, drives the play for his teammates. One way to describe him is that he is a blood and guts type player. He adds an element of toughness that was lacking in prior years. Players like Tuch, Samuelsson, Okposo and surprisingly Mitts have a style of play that makes this once soft team now more difficult to play. This rebuild, after the jettisoning of the old core, is reconstructing the roster to make it a more hardened and tougher roster. The GM has often stated that he wants this team to reflect the values of this community. And it appears that he is succeeding in that effort. 

• Like (+1) 3

This place is sooooo much friendlier and nicer when we win. What surprised me was that I wanted the team to win for RJ than any other game I can remember even the Eichel return game. I find myself instead of just sitting on the couch watching the game but being more emotionally charged in this latest run of games that started about 5 weeks ago. We now have passed Chicago and have tied Detroit in the standings. Absolutely unthinkable a month ago. Throw the hopium away, REAL HOPE has returned to this franchise. 

Seeing the packed house and the enthusiasm return to KBC, I was proud to attached to Buffalo again. Only letdown was MSG blacking out the ESPN+ opening ceremony, would have loved to see it live and what made it more disappointing was the Nashville feed being on. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Dr K said:

I confess to being a sporadic Sabres fan over the years. The Bills were more my team. But down here in Raleigh I saw in person both the first and the last games of the Sabres-Hurricanes series in 2006; the Sabres ahead going into that last period but the Canes winning to go on to the SC.

Welcome!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dr K said:

Oh, they acknowledged that the Sabres had been playing well, and they gave them lots of praise during the game--they openly pointed out how well the Sabres were choking off the Preds offense, and the individual play of Skinner, Thompson, et. al. I actually was pretty impressed with how they were fair to the Sabres. 

Their play-by-play announcer, Pete Weber, is from Buffalo.  He did some work for the Sabres and was part of the tribute videos in the arena and did some interviews which are on the Sabres' YouTube channel.  So it makes more sense than you think.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

What impresses me about Krebs is just how hard he skates on the backcheck.

Expounding on that a little:  If you want to show me you love the game, are playing for the crest, etc., etc.:  Backcheck.  Backcheck like a mofo.  Backcheck like your mother is playing goal.  It's not a high skill thing, but it's what shows me that you give a *****.  The Hinostrozas, the Okposos, the Girgensonses, really all the veteran forwards on this team, are poster boys for that sort of hustle.  When Jack was here I think he we too cool for that.... not that he *never* backchecked, but a lot of the time he just didn't seem to care.  Reino was similar.  When they did, they were good at it but they didn't do it consistently.

I think the backcheck thing with this team, lately, is evidence that the culture has changed.  Play hard.  When the other team has the puck, play harder.  That's something this team hasn't had in a while.  They seem to be getting it now.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Expounding on that a little:  If you want to show me you love the game, are playing for the crest, etc., etc.:  Backcheck.  Backcheck like a mofo.  Backcheck like your mother is playing goal.  It's not a high skill thing, but it's what shows me that you give a *****.  The Hinostrozas, the Okposos, the Girgensonses, really all the veteran forwards on this team, are poster boys for that sort of hustle.  When Jack was here I think he we too cool for that.... not that he *never* backchecked, but a lot of the time he just didn't seem to care.  Reino was similar.  When they did, they were good at it but they didn't do it consistently.

I think the backcheck thing with this team, lately, is evidence that the culture has changed.  Play hard.  When the other team has the puck, play harder.  That's something this team hasn't had in a while.  They seem to be getting it now.

Can’t agree more. Desire cannot be taught, but it sure as hell can be contagious for those willing to be infected. We’ve got several players now who have that desire and are infecting their teammates. Krebs, Cozens, Okie, Girgs just to name a few. It’s reminding me of the Peca/Stu B teams of the late 90s. Minus the HOF goaltending of course.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Also, this:

Part of this is the backcheck thing I'm talking about.  Part of this is the forecheck effort.  Recently it seems that more often than not, the Sabres are outshooting the opposition in every single period of a game.

image.thumb.png.473b95414673d55c1a75ed434468cb58.png

Outpossessing and greatly outchancing the opposition is becoming a theme with this team. It means we can get by with .908 sv% because we’re still only giving up 2-3 goals per game and the offense is taking care of their end. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.