Devon Levi watch, update: he's returning to college

LGR4GM

13 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Does a 4 year NCAA UFA get any kind of fast tracking momentarily contract wise? Or is the only advantage getting to pick your team, but you still have to do your do your time on an entry level contract and the RFA years?

Pretty sure UFA remains 7 years pro or 27 years old, whichever comes first.

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It gives past examples where Levi stayed at a lower level instead of moving up. The logic is he's doing it again staying at NE.

Yes.  It doesn't tell us why.

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, it says "He has proven many times that nobody knows what’s best for Devon Levi better than Devon Levi himself" and that Levi has a high degree of self-confidence -- so I think a fair inference on this decision is that Levi has determined that staying at NE is better for Levi's development and isn't concerned that this bucks the conventional wisdom.

Now, you're right that the thread doesn't specify the reasons supporting Levi's determination that staying is better for his development, so in that sense perhaps my post overstated things.  But I do think the twitter thread was pretty informative about his mindset.

All we know about his mindset is that he isn't afraid to make his own path.

31 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Does a 4 year NCAA UFA get any kind of fast tracking momentarily contract wise? Or is the only advantage getting to pick your team, but you still have to do your do your time on an entry level contract and the RFA years?

It all depends on the Age the player is when they sign the deal. 

21 and Under is a 3 Year ELC

22-23 is a 2 Year ELC 

24 or older is 1 Year ELC

Levi will be 21 next April, but I imagine they will burn a year of His ELC if He wants 

Good for Devon.  Enjoy college and have another great season.

Now hopefully Portillo wins the National Championship signs with the Sabres to be Rochester's starter and we'll have our three goalie prospect staggered nicely and developed properly.

Now Kevyn, do your job and go get the team a real proven NHL goalie for the Sabres.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

What?  It tells us absolutely nothing about his reasoning.  It tells us about some unconventional decisions he made in the past, and the results thereof, but not the reasons therefor.  Nor does it tell us anything about this decision.

His reasoning might be very simple: It's what he wants to do at this time. Some students leave school or start school a year later as a gap year. And some students don't. It's simply a personal preference that entails little explanation. 

Lance Lysowski brought up an excellent point with the Cal Petersen Situation. 

Under GMTM The Sabres Development Staff was non existent. Petersen had almost no direction from the Sabres as His College Career came to an end. Him bolting was not a surprise. 

Compare this to the present Development Staff where there is weekly contact from the development staff, these relationships should help with the present prospects 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Lance Lysowski brought up an excellent point with the Cal Petersen Situation. 

Under GMTM The Sabres Development Staff was non existent. Petersen had almost no direction from the Sabres as His College Career came to an end. Him bolting was not a surprise. 

Compare this to the present Development Staff where there is weekly contact from the development staff, these relationships should help with the present prospects 

and void the Petersen Problem.  

Essential once we draft college kids we need to recruit them to the Sabres. 

PS Is it a surprise that the TM Sabres failed to reasonably communicate with their players and prospects? 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

PS Is it a surprise that the TM Sabres failed to reasonably communicate with their players and prospects? 

A communications disruption can mean only one thing...

Evasion! of a college draft pick to free agency.

I hope Hockey Canada names him to their World Championship team. He has been great for them at the World Junior A Challenge and the World Juniors. He was a good soldier going to the Olympics, not playing, but not squawking.

I feel they should start him for a couple of games and see how he performs. He could be their guy. The earlier games usually have a skeleton team while they wait for the NHL playoffs to provide more players. 

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I hope Hockey Canada names him to their World Championship team. He has been great for them at the World Junior A Challenge and the World Juniors. He was a good soldier going to the Olympics, not playing, but not squawking.

I feel they should start him for a couple of games and see how he performs. He could be their guy. The earlier games usually have a skeleton team while they wait for the NHL playoffs to provide more players. 

Off topic, but in addition to Devon, Krebs, Cozens, and Power have lengthy Hockey Canada connections. Skinner and Miller have some.

Tage and Tuch would be naturals for Team USA. Mitts and Mule maybe?

Dahlin, VO, Joker...?

Might see a healthy group of Sabres at the Worlds this year.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/5/2022 at 2:56 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

PS Is it a surprise that the TM Sabres failed to reasonably communicate with their players and prospects

Dude constantly referred to players as “property”.  Insight into his perception of Management/ownership v. Labor. 

• Like (+1) 1