Devon Levi watch, update: he's returning to college

LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, Digger said:

Sorry if I missed it in the thread but is there an interview link where he said this?  I do hope that Adams has something positive to say on him staying in school for another year.

I guess I'm just disappointed, knowing that development takes time (for all of our prospects) and it was my belief that getting him some time in the AHL next season would have him ready to play for the Sabres sooner than waiting.

On 4/3/2022 at 3:25 PM, Huckleberry said:

19m
Devon Levi on
@2goalies1mic
“I would love to get my career started in Buffalo. It’s such a great spot. I’m so happy I got traded there” after being asked about his plans for next season. Levi will make that decision in the coming days.

On 4/3/2022 at 3:42 PM, Flashsabre said:

I listened to the interview with Levi.

-it wasn’t just Levi, it was also his best friend who also plays at NE. They have played together since they were 5 or 6.

-he doesn’t think size is an issue as a goalie if you are disciplined in your fundamentals.

-looks to Saros in Nashville as an example

-enjoyed his time at the Olympics. Picked brains of other Olympians as to how they got to be the best in their field

-become quick buddies with Power over there.

-seems to really have his head on his shoulders

I wouldn’t be surprised if he heads back for one more year to play with his friend, play in the BeanPot and try to win in the Frozen Four. Going back won’t be an issue development wise. He will be getting a ton of shots and play every game.

Sounds like he is enthused about playing for Buffalo.

It wasn’t mentioned but he has a lot of connections there now. Cozens, Krebs, Quinn from WJCs and Power from Olympics.

• Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, kas23 said:

We want players that bleed blue and gold. Levi does not.

I’m not sure if going back another college season will have negative long term effects, but it certainly won’t have any positive ones. He won’t repeat his performance again and he’s likely going to be put out to dry by his teammates again. Good luck there. There’s a snowball chance in hell NE will go on to win a championship next season. 

Let’s see if Portillo signs. If he does and another GM dangles us a young right-handed Muel for him, I wouldn’t hang up if I were Adams. 

Everything in bold is why. The first is straight conjecture supported by literally nothing and opposed by countless things. The 2nd is even more conjecture that assumes Levi isn't stable enough to repeat. The 3rd is just awful and short sighted especially when you don't need a stud on the right because the left is stacked so why waste a gt of Levi's caliber? Answer is easy, impatience on your part. 

26 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Why?

I assume that in that last paragraph the "he" is Levi although it's hard to tell with the bad sentence structure.

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Call me crazy but I honestly thought he was gonna be in the competition for the starting job next year 

Do you think he's going to somehow get worse at the college level?  The chances of him jumping straight to the NHL are higher if he matures another year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Do you think he's going to somehow get worse at the college level?  The chances of him jumping straight to the NHL are higher if he matures another year.

Yea but that's not an overreaction or fear mongering, that's just logic. 

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Let’s see if Portillo signs. If he does and another GM dangles us a young right-handed Muel for him, I wouldn’t hang up if I were Adams. 

I don't usually care but the way you wrote this is so confusing. In sentence 1 you say Portillo and you reference no one else in this paragraph. The natural reading is therfore you are in favor of trading Portillo for a rhd. Now, I've assumed the "he" in sentence 2 is Levi but I'm honestly not sure. Do you think we should sign Portillo and trade him? Or sign Portillo and trade Levi?

4 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

I believe he truly is excited about a shot in Buffalo and a career of being able to stick it to Florida who (probably correctly) chose Knight over him.

So if the Sabres choose Portillo over him, will he be pissed at the Sabres?

To me, best case scenario is that UPL is okay, Portillo a little better, and Levi a little better yet, and that Portillo and Levi hold down 1A and 1B on the Sabres for multiple Cup winning teams, one always pushing the other to get better.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

So if the Sabres choose Portillo over him, will he be pissed at the Sabres?

To me, best case scenario is that UPL is okay, Portillo a little better, and Levi a little better yet, and that Portillo and Levi hold down 1A and 1B on the Sabres for multiple Cup winning teams, one always pushing the other to get better.

Not the same as being traded.  

A competition with your organization's goalie prospect is what he expects - as long as they're all here competing no one will be "chosen."  The competition could be Miller-Biron like who knows.  

LOL at people trying to get inside the mind of a 20 year old kid that's probably enjoying his college experience.

But, I know what needs to be done. I shall enroll at Northeastern and report back what's really going on with Devon. I've always wanted to go deep cover since the first time I watched 'Donnie Brasco.'

steve buscemi youth GIF

• Haha (+1) 8
  • Thanks (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't usually care but the way you wrote this is so confusing. In sentence 1 you say Portillo and you reference no one else in this paragraph. The natural reading is therfore you are in favor of trading Portillo for a rhd. Now, I've assumed the "he" in sentence 2 is Levi but I'm honestly not sure. Do you think we should sign Portillo and trade him? Or sign Portillo and trade Levi?

Sorry, by “him”, I mean Levi.

Here’s the issue. First, I don’t believe getting emotionally involved in team assets (yes, assets) is a good thing. Beane over at One Bills Drive certainly doesn’t. Just as Levi decides what is best for him, Adams has to do what is best for the team. 

Let’s look at the Buffalo goalie situation. I certainly may be wrong (and probably am), but I don’t see Adams failing to sign a decent veteran for a medium term contract this offseason. We’re likely to go with a 1A/1B structure. That leaves UPL being the 1B or if he fails, Portillo being the 1B. Who knows, they may be the 1A part of the equation. Still, one of them has to fail. And even then, I don’t see how Levi fits in. We can talk about the fairy tale of a goalie jumping from the NCAA to the NHL, but it’s a super long shot. Then you mix in the 5’11’’ bit. The history books are full of “sure thing” amateur goalies never making it. Due to the reasons above, the odds of Levi becoming the Sabres starter are low, but definitely not zero. If I were Adams, I wouldn’t be shopping Levi. However, his value isn’t likely going to get higher. If a GM offered me a young lockdown RHD (a real NHLer) we could ride for the next decade, I’d certainly entertain to the offer. 

19 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

Not the same as being traded.  

A competition with your organization's goalie prospect is what he expects - as long as they're all here competing no one will be "chosen."  The competition could be Miller-Biron like who knows.  

Unfortunately, in the NHL, there never really is a true competition. The player senior to you automatically has the position, but it’s his position to lose if he truly falters. If Portillo signs, that’s what Levi will be up against. 

• LGR4GM changed the title to Devon Levi watch, update: he's returning to college
8 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Sorry, by “him”, I mean Levi.

Here’s the issue. First, I don’t believe getting emotionally involved in team assets (yes, assets) is a good thing. Beane over at One Bills Drive certainly doesn’t. Just as Levi decides what is best for him, Adams has to do what is best for the team. 

Let’s look at the Buffalo goalie situation. I certainly may be wrong (and probably am), but I don’t see Adams failing to sign a decent veteran for a medium term contract this offseason. We’re likely to go with a 1A/1B structure. That leaves UPL being the 1B or if he fails, Portillo being the 1B. Who knows, they may be the 1A part of the equation. Still, one of them has to fail. And even then, I don’t see how Levi fits in. We can talk about the fairy tale of a goalie jumping from the NCAA to the NHL, but it’s a super long shot. Then you mix in the 5’11’’ bit. The history books are full of “sure thing” amateur goalies never making it. Due to the reasons above, the odds of Levi becoming the Sabres starter are low, but definitely not zero. If I were Adams, I wouldn’t be shopping Levi. However, his value isn’t likely going to get higher. If a GM offered me a young lockdown RHD (a real NHLer) we could ride for the next decade, I’d certainly entertain to the offer. 

Levi is 6' 

I'm not attached, I just recognize that wasting a potential starting goalie for a rhd is just that, wasteful. He fits by winning the job or being a good backup. I'd rather gamble on 1 of the 3 being good than 1 of the 2 being good especially in a draft that has 6 or so 1st round rhd. I can get a rhd but starting goalies are rare. 

Levi going back means almost nothing but here we are talking about listening to trade offers which you wouldn't have done 24 hours ago. 

7 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Unfortunately, in the NHL, there never really is a true competition. The player senior to you automatically has the position, but it’s his position to lose if he truly falters. If Portillo signs, that’s what Levi will be up against. 

It's strange you assume Portillo will succeed but Levi won't and yet your only real reason listed is Levi isn't taller.

10 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I wouldn't say "falters."  If the younger guy is the man you roll with him.  

Did Biron or Noronen falter as much as Miller just showed enough he was the man? 

I’m disappointed because he is my favourite goaltending prospect.

It’s his decision and the anticipation will keep building. If Portillo signs then they have two of the three in the system. If they perform well then Levi has less of a spotlight on him to make the jump. I want him to turn pro next year, so we have all three in the fold and competing for the net.

52 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

LOL at people trying to get inside the mind of a 20 year old kid that's probably enjoying his college experience.

But, I know what needs to be done. I shall enroll at Northeastern and report back what's really going on with Devon. I've always wanted to go deep cover since the first time I watched 'Donnie Brasco.'

steve buscemi youth GIF

They’d see you were a complete fugazi in no time. Fuhgeddaboudit. 

• Like (+1) 1