Devon Levi watch, update: he's returning to college

LGR4GM

UPL has really been quite bad this year for Rochester.  I know the D in front of him has struggled but, still, I have to think GMKA sees it as a step back from him.  Portillo has great size and god quickness for his size, but, I love Levi due to his elite quickness and instincts.  Lack of size can be minimized by reading the play well, being in the right spot and playing the correct angles

• Like (+1) 1

UPL has done much better up on the Sabres as he has in Rochester. This is likely due to the defense in front of him because I remember his game improving considerably once Muel came back from injury/Covid. Right now he really has a below average defense in front of him. 

That’s not to say all problems disappear once he’s on the Sabres, but I believe he can become a serviceable 1B. 

Edited by kas23
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CTJoe said:

UPL has really been quite bad this year for Rochester.  I know the D in front of him has struggled but, still, I have to think GMKA sees it as a step back from him.  Portillo has great size and god quickness for his size, but, I love Levi due to his elite quickness and instincts.  Lack of size can be minimized by reading the play well, being in the right spot and playing the correct angles

Beat case scenario both Portillo and Levi are probably 2-3 years away from establishing themselves in the NHL... if they make it that far.  

Goaltenders are difficult to forecast.  Goalies that set records in junior or NCAA and didn't make it to the NHL are a dime a dozen.

That said, if I'm KA, I'm still looking at goalies in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Beat case scenario both Portillo and Levi are probably 2-3 years away from establishing themselves in the NHL... if they make it that far.  

Goaltenders are difficult to forecast.  Goalies that set records in junior or NCAA and didn't make it to the NHL are a dime a dozen.

In a year where they have 9 picks, a goalie in the later rounds would be wise, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I hate to agree with you because it would be so much better if they just where really good, but KA can't bank on it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Yes, Portillo however is an UFA next summer 

I am selfishly hoping that Michigan wins the championship, thinking that both Portillo and Power will feel satisfied with their collegiate careers and ready to move on to their next challenge.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Jeff Marek on HNIC said the Sabres are still waiting and decision has not been made 

What does this mean? If a decision has been made, then why are the Sabres still waiting? Marek makes no sense to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres have not been informed of a decision, as Levi has not decided yet 

Totally misread the post. Been a long day, what can I say. Thanks for the clarification. 

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Totally misread the post. Been a long day, what can I say. Thanks for the clarification. 

1 minute ago, MBD said:

Ah, you changed your post.  Now it makes sense.

Adding the not to the original post makes a huge difference 

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So, I didn't misread it initially? Hmm. Maybe not as long a day as I thought. 

No, you didn't.  I thought that maybe he meant Levi made a decision but hasn't informed the Sabres yet.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/26/2022 at 12:36 PM, kas23 said:

If Levi doesn’t sign now and Portillo does, Levi will automatically be behind the 8 ball. Portillo having a full pro year over him will likely decrease him landing a starting spot on the Sabres, unless Portillo really stinks it up or UPL isn’t on our roster in 1-2 years. Why temp fate, just sign and get in line. The first guy in Buffalo is going to have an advantage that’s present regardless of skill. 

It will be a battle royale of all the goalies; let the best man win.  If Levi is the best goalie it will show.

And didn't Kevyn Adams say he wants a "healthy competition" for roster spots?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

I am selfishly hoping that Michigan wins the championship, thinking that both Portillo and Power will feel satisfied with their collegiate careers and ready to move on to their next challenge.

I may be ready to throw my eggs in the Portillo basket too if that happens. 

I think he's the real deal and he gets a year head start.