GDT: Ottawa Senators at Buffalo. February 17th, 2022 7pm MSG, ESPN+, WGR550

Brawndo

The Senators will face former teammate Craig Anderson

He spent a decade as the club’s starting goaltender and will face the Senators for the first time since his departure. Winger Nick Paul noted Wednesday it will be good to see Anderson because he played an important role for this team. He has a 5-1-0 lifetime record against the Senators with a 2.64 goals-against average and a .918 save percentage.

POINTS LEADERS

OTTAWA SENATORS

GP G A PT PLUS/MINUS

Brady Tkachuk 43 15 20 35 +1

Drake Batherson 31 13 21 34 +4

Josh Norris 36 18 8 26 -2

BUFFALO SABRES

GP G A PT PLUS/MINUS

Jeff Skinner 46 20 14 34 -3

Tage Thompson 44 16 18 34 -4

Rasmus Dahlin 8 23 31 -10

SPECIAL TEAMS

OTT PP 16.9% 26th; PK 80.9% 12th

BUF PP 20% 16th; PK 75.8% 25th

THREE THINGS ABOUT THE SABRES

This will be the final time the Senators face the Sabres this season. You can be certain some Ottawa fans would have liked to see goaltender Aaron Dell making the start in this one. He was suspended three games for a reckless and dirty hit on Drake Batherson Jan. 25 in Ottawa. Batherson is out with a high-ankle sprain and Dell is back in the AHL where he belongs.

The Sabres are coming off a 6-3 victory over the New York Islanders Tuesday at home. Victor Olofsson scored twice for the Sabres and that ended a 30-game drought. Mark Pysyk suited up for his 500th NHL game in that one. Buffalo prospect Owen Power, who suited up for Team Canada at the Winter Olympics, will return to the University of Michigan after being eliminated Wednesday.

Buffalo has won two straight coming into this game and has gone 5-4-1 since a 3-1 win over the Senators on Jan. 18 in Ottawa. Anderson has a 6-3-0 record this season with Buffalo with a 2.67 GAA and a .916 save percentage. The Sabres have a 1-1-0 record against the Senators this season. Ottawa scored a 5-0 win over Buffalo Jan. 25 at home.

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/game-night-ottawa-senators-at-buffalo-sabres

• Thanks (+1) 1

I saw the GDT and my first thought was, "Ottowa, again? I feel like we've been relegated to only playing basement teams." Going back to Jan. 15th, we are in a 16 game stretch (which ends Feb 23) where 13 of those 16 games were against teams not in the playoffs. We hae COL twice and VGK once in the stretch, aside from that it's been mostly DET, MTL, OTT, CBJ, NYI, ARI, After this stretch we're going to start playing real teams and it'll be a nice litmus test to see how we measure up going into the off-season. 

19 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I saw the GDT and my first thought was, "Ottowa, again? I feel like we've been relegated to only playing basement teams." Going back to Jan. 15th, we are in a 16 game stretch (which ends Feb 23) where 13 of those 16 games were against teams not in the playoffs. We hae COL twice and VGK once in the stretch, aside from that it's been mostly DET, MTL, OTT, CBJ, NYI, ARI, After this stretch we're going to start playing real teams and it'll be a nice litmus test to see how we measure up going into the off-season. 

You have to crawl before you walk. I hope they get that winning habit now before tackling murderer's row.

24 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I guess this explains why we’re actually 5/4/1 in the past 10.

• Like (+1) 1

• This is the third and final meeting between the Sabres and Senators this season. 
• Last meeting: Ottawa defeated Buffalo 5-0 in Ottawa on Jan. 25 
• The Sabres are 4-6-0 in their last 10 games against the Senators; 6-3-1 at home. 

• This is the 148th game all-time between Buffalo and Ottawa; Buffalo has an 71-56-20 series record. 
• The Sabres are 39-24-8 on the road against the Senators all-time. 

• Each of the last 11 games between these clubs has been decided in regulation. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.