GDT: Ottawa Senators at Buffalo. February 17th, 2022 7pm MSG, ESPN+, WGR550

Brawndo

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I’m starting to see more examples of this.  It has to be hard for Granato to keep these guys up and ready, and they have had lots of injuries, but yesterday they had a winning streak, a division game, a home game, and a team you want to keep ahead of all right there. They laid an egg. The didn’t play a third period.  

Their performance against Detroit and Ottawa concern me when I think about how long it will take just to contend for a division.  

Yes & no.

If it really is from some teaching moment that Granato never adjusts his in game planning (well, ridiculously seldom) and when development is no longer the only goal but winning not only becomes a co-primary goal but THE primary goal that he will actually make situational adjusted decisions, it could be w/in the next 2-3 seasons.  (Playoffs w/in the next 2, competitive to the top of the division in the next 3.)

But, if adjustments aren't getting made simply due to some stubborness which won't subside w/ a focus on winning, then yes, a truly competitive team can't arrive until Granato is gone.  Right now am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he knows the team would be better in the ST if they actually were coached to be situational aware but he believes learning the O system and letting players exceed their limitations to both find what they are and expand them as well is more important in the LT.  (That benefit of the doubt goes away in TC this off-season.)

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The effort was there but they were fighting the puck all night. Early on they carried the play, only to have the Sens take it back in the latter half. Anderson stood on his head as the Sabres kept giving up odd man rushes.

It just wasn't their night. 

I thought the goalie played well. And for the most part there was effort. From an entertainment standpoint it was atrocious. 

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes & no.

If it really is from some teaching moment that Granato never adjusts his in game planning (well, ridiculously seldom) and when development is no longer the only goal but winning not only becomes a co-primary goal but THE primary goal that he will actually make situational adjusted decisions, it could be w/in the next 2-3 seasons.  (Playoffs w/in the next 2, competitive to the top of the division in the next 3.)

But, if adjustments aren't getting made simply due to some stubborness which won't subside w/ a focus on winning, then yes, a truly competitive team can't arrive until Granato is gone.  Right now am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he knows the team would be better in the ST if they actually were coached to be situational aware but he believes learning the O system and letting players exceed their limitations to both find what they are and expand them as well is more important in the LT.  (That benefit of the doubt goes away in TC this off-season.)

People accuse Granato of focusing on developing players over winning a game. I doubt that is true, and if it is then it is something that I’ll never understand.  

To me, positive results such as winning is a part of TEAM development.   Winning breeds winning.  A coach has to do everything to try and win games so players gain confidence.  They need to see that what they are doing is working.  Then they will buy in even more   

Musicians that only practice scales will not make great music.    
Hockey coaches that only focus on player skill development might never produce players that learn how to win  

This is a team sport after all.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

People accuse Granato of focusing on developing players over winning a game. I doubt that is true, and if it is then it is something that I’ll never understand.  

To me, positive results such as winning is a part of TEAM development.   Winning breeds winning.  A coach has to do everything to try and win games so players gain confidence.  They need to see that what they are doing is working.  Then they will buy in even more   

Musicians that only practice scales will not make great music.    
Hockey coaches that only focus on player skill development might never produce players that learn how to win  

This is a team sport after all.  

To the bolded, honestly not sure if it's better if you're right or wrong.

But, based on Granato's comments, player usage, & generally what we see on the ice, expecting it's more you're wrong than right.  (And don't believe it's exclusively development over winning, but do believe it's prioritized enough as to have cost at minimum 6 points in the standings & likely 10-12.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.