Casey Fitzgerald Returned to the Amerks

Brawndo

I've been somewhat interested in Fitzie over the years.

He's a RHD, 5'11, 190 lbs and turns 25 in February.  He grew up in Massachusetts, played 4 years at BC (the Sabres drafted him in the 3rd round in 2016, after his freshman year at BC) and then the 2 Covid-shortened seasons in the AHL (the Amerks only played 29 games last year; he played in 22 of them and had 2 goals and 11 pts).  So far this year he's played in 21 games in Rochester and has 4 goals and 7 pts.

He was a member of the 2017 US team that won gold at the World Juniors (beating Team Canada for the gold in a 5-4 shootout win at the Bell Center -- take that, hosers!) and had 3 points in 7 games (other defensemen on that team included Charlie McAvoy and Adam Fox).

At BC, he was team captain during his junior and senior years and won the award for best defensive defenseman in his conference despite producing respectable offensive numbers for a college defenseman.

I'm glad he's getting a shot.

• Like (+1) 6

45 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I like his aggressive play. Some people don’t like fighting but he doesn’t shy away from it. 
He’s been a fun player to watch.

A handful of people are clamouring for a more Bruin approach to hockey.

On the ice, Casey is a Masshole to the core. And I mean that in the most complementary way.

• Like (+1) 1

My thoughts about Casey every time I’ve watched him is: This kid gets hockey. He knows what to do and when to do it. He’s all team, and he’s absolutely fearless. Does he have enough size and skill to play his game in the NHL?

Last night, the answer was mostly “yes”.

Hope he can stick around. He’s got something we need.

• Like (+1) 5

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My thoughts about Casey every time I’ve watched him is: This kid gets hockey. He knows what to do and when to do it. He’s all team, and he’s absolutely fearless. Does he have enough size and skill to play his game in the NHL?

Last night, the answer was mostly “yes”.

Hope he can stick around. He’s got something we need.

He does, & do hope he sticks.  He brings some attributes that are sorely lacking.

But his emergence brings up the question of whether management sees next year's D-corps in house &/or the NCAA right now w/ no other external additions.  Could see them thinking 

Dahlin-Jokiharju

Samuelsson-Fitzgerald

Power-Pysyk

w/ Bryson & somebody as the spares & Johnson in Ra-cha-cha waiting for an injury to be on the 3rd pairing as good enough.  Especially w/ the goal being to really start to compete seriously that following season.

They've got the cap space moving forward to sign any & all of their UFA's & RFA's that they want to retain for at least 3-4 more years.  Really think they need 1-2 GOOD stay at home D brought in this summer, but not sure management agrees on that point.  They'll definitely bring in AAAA level guys to round out Ra-cha-cha, but not sure they want to "block" the kids when being in the mix is likely viewed as good enough for year 2 of the plan.  From a casual view, they seem to be emulating the Canes approach, and at this stage they weren't really bringing in outsiders to be near the top of the depth chart.  (Someone that followed them closer like @Randall Flagg please correct that if mistaken.)

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised by Casey's play last night.  The kid is from a hockey family and management here has been singing his praises since camp.  He has been the steadiest defenseman in Roch and his offense was starting to come around in the AHL this season.  Yes, he's already 24, but this is how you develop middle and late round picks that have attributes you like.  

Will he ever be a top 4 D?  Probably not, but could he become a steady stay at home D that can play up the lineup in a pinch, kill penalties and be solid NHL player?  I don't see why not.  He is also a RHD, that we and other teams definitely covet.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

He does, & do hope he sticks.  He brings some attributes that are sorely lacking.

But his emergence brings up the question of whether management sees next year's D-corps in house &/or the NCAA right now w/ no other external additions.  Could see them thinking 

Dahlin-Jokiharju

Samuelsson-Fitzgerald

Power-Pysyk

w/ Bryson & somebody as the spares & Johnson in Ra-cha-cha waiting for an injury to be on the 3rd pairing as good enough.  Especially w/ the goal being to really start to compete seriously that following season.

They've got the cap space moving forward to sign any & all of their UFA's & RFA's that they want to retain for at least 3-4 more years.  Really think they need 1-2 GOOD stay at home D brought in this summer, but not sure management agrees on that point.  They'll definitely bring in AAAA level guys to round out Ra-cha-cha, but not sure they want to "block" the kids when being in the mix is likely viewed as good enough for year 2 of the plan.  From a casual view, they seem to be emulating the Canes approach, and at this stage they weren't really bringing in outsiders to be near the top of the depth chart.  (Someone that followed them closer like @Randall Flagg please correct that if mistaken.)

It’s at least 50/50 that this is what KA is thinking.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Taro T said:

Dahlin-Jokiharju

Samuelsson-Fitzgerald

Power-Pysyk

They've got the cap space moving forward to sign any & all of their UFA's & RFA's that they want to retain for at least 3-4 more years.  Really think they need 1-2 GOOD stay at home D brought in this summer, but not sure management agrees on that point.  

Fitzgerald without a doubt made a good 1st impression that game. What I'd like to see if they pick up an UFA this summer is to go after Klingberg of the Stars. Dallas most likely will not be able to resign him plus he's a veteran presence that won't break the bank and if I'm not mistaken he wears an "A" with them so he'd be a good veteran partner with Power. He plays top 4 in Dallas so he wouldn't be over his head in that role. Plus being a Swede he'd fit in with the boys.

Dahlin-Jokiharju         Power-Klingberg       Samuelsson-Fitzgerald

• Like (+1) 6

21 hours ago, Taro T said:

Dahlin-Jokiharju

Samuelsson-Fitzgerald

Power-Pysyk

Bryson as a spare is what you think management is thinking? What do you think?

I almost fell out of my chair at the idea of Bryson not cracking the top six.

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Bryson as a spare is what you think management is thinking? What do you think?

I almost fell out of my chair at the idea of Bryson not cracking the top six.

Believe it's possible.  They need to have at least 1 D-man that will stand up for his teammates & Fitzgerald fits that bill.  If he's in the lineup, to get Bryson in the lineup, they are going extremely young bumping the vet out of the lineup &/or having somebody on their off-hand playing w/ the rookie.

What's you're expectation?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.