Getting to know Peyton Krebs

WildCard

I like Krebs a lot.  He has a really nice combination of hockey IQ, character, and 200 ft game that really appreciate.  That’s in addition to being a pretty skilled player with good skating.  Just a guy that you want on the ice whether you are ahead or behind, and on both the PP and PK.

Probably never a 1C, but if Buffalo rolls some combination of Mitts, Cozens, Krebs, Thompson, Asplund out at C, in a 4 2C’s sort of alignment, he can probably fulfill that.  

• Like (+1) 3

I think he's got a pretty good chance of ending up a solid 2C actually, his game is quite appealing. Should be fun to watch if he hits. 

8 minutes ago, Kr632 said:

How has Krebs recovered from his Achilles injury? I saw a comment elsewhere that he looked slow this year when playing in Vegas and that's when Vegas made him available. 

This would be one worry, though 

Both Krebs and Cozens were dominant players in the WJC for Team Canada.  WJC highlights are a gold mine for Krebs.  Krebs played on Cozens' line, not all the time, but here and there in the U20 in 2020-21 and U18 in 2018-19.  Here's some bits where they connected:

U20:

Krebs from a Cozens setup:

(FWIW, Peterka was in on both Germany goals in this game)

U18:

Newhook finishes a Krebs-Cozens setup:

Krebs sets up Cozens:

7 hours ago, Kr632 said:

How has Krebs recovered from his Achilles injury? I saw a comment elsewhere that he looked slow this year when playing in Vegas and that's when Vegas made him available. 

He has recovered well.  This is his 3rd season post surgery.    Post recovery he has played in the WHL, WJC, and AHL, performing extremely well at all those stops.  It’s not abnormal for a 20 year old to look so-so in he’s first handful of NHL games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

On 11/4/2021 at 8:55 AM, dudacek said:

Great feature on who he is and where he comes from:

https://theathletic.com/970315/2019/05/10/between-chasing-pucks-and-recording-albums-how-the-krebs-are-making-their-mark-in-the-whl-and-nashville/

Consider the Krebses in full pursuit:

Maddison, 22, is making a living as a singer-songwriter. She settled in Nashville at the age of 19.

Dakota, 20, returns to the WHL for a fifth season in the fall. He left home at 16 when he cracked the lineup of the Tri-City Americans. He now skates for the Calgary Hitmen.
    Peyton, 18, star of the WHL Kootenay Ice, is a sure-fire first-rounder in the NHL draft. By 15, he was billeting in Strathmore, Alta., and playing for the midgets there.
    Dru, 16, a second-round selection at the 2018 WHL bantam draft, is bound this winter for the Medicine Hat Tigers.

Asked about their remarkably high-reaching offspring, Greg shrugs — and Cindy leaves the table, ostensibly to fetch water.

“I mean, we get lots of comments from friends and people we meet,” Greg said. “It’s pretty cool. I don’t know. We always say we found what the kids are passionate about. That’s all we did. I guess they just found their thing. Lots of kids try lots of different things and don’t find that thing.”

Dru, aiming to catch on with the Tigers, is next. Three lads, three WHL outposts.

“Some families want their kids to play together on certain junior teams,” Greg said. “We said, ‘No, you go on your own path. It’ll make you better.'”

Cindy agrees. Embrace adversity.

“Rather than hiding them from it and protecting them,” she said. “That’s a common theme now, ‘Oh, I don’t want (my child) to get cut.’ No, no. It’s OK to be cut. Then it’s how you respond. That’s what makes the difference.”

If the environment seems decidedly coddle-free, note that it also comes without pressure. Even if outsiders conclude that Greg and Cindy are whip-crackers.

Not true.

“It’s driven by you, personally,” Dakota said. “Our mom and dad aren’t going to make us stickhandle in the garage. Or make Maddison go sing. We have personal goals … our parents just support us and love us the way they do.”

What about Maynard G. ?

On 11/4/2021 at 6:04 AM, The Ghost of Yuri said:

But with Daryl Hall flow.

hehe

On 11/4/2021 at 5:33 PM, Curt said:

I like Krebs a lot.  He has a really nice combination of hockey IQ, character, and 200 ft game that really appreciate.  That’s in addition to being a pretty skilled player with good skating.  Just a guy that you want on the ice whether you are ahead or behind, and on both the PP and PK.

Probably never a 1C, but if Buffalo rolls some combination of Mitts, Cozens, Krebs, Thompson, Asplund out at C, in a 4 2C’s sort of alignment, he can probably fulfill that.  

Mitts?? People still hoping on that one?

8 minutes ago, calti said:

hehe

Mitts?? People still hoping on that one?

Um, yes.  He is 22, he put up 17 points in his final 22 games last season, and he looked great in preseason before getting hurt in the first regular season game.  Over the past year he has shown tons of growth.

I think that a lot of people here are pretty optimistic on his future.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Um, yes.  He is 22, he put up 17 points in his final 22 games last season, and he looked great in preseason before getting hurt in the first regular season game.  Over the past year he has shown tons of growth.

I think that a lot of people here are pretty optimistic on his future.

The ignore function is your friend 

On 11/4/2021 at 6:06 AM, Flashsabre said:

Krebs is a high character kid. Always wearing a letter, usually the captaincy.  High end wheels and extremely high smarts/ hockey sense.  If he reaches his potential I would say a fast skating Sam Reinhart.

Oh don't do that to me................. 🙂

I see Matt Duchene comparisons myself. Needs to muscle up a bit though for the NHL to be truly effective. I could see him at center with Cozens at RW or Cozens at center and him at left wing. Quinn or Peterka (depending which way you go at center) as the third line member makes for an intriguing and potentially very good line.  

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh don't do that to me................. 🙂

I see Matt Duchene comparisons myself. Needs to muscle up a bit though for the NHL to be truly effective. I could see him at center with Cozens at RW or Cozens at center and him at left wing. Quinn or Peterka (depending which way you go at center) as the third line member makes for an intriguing and potentially very good line.  

Next season I can see Krebs at LW with Cozens at C and Tuch on RW.  I see that trio having some potential chemistry.  Very quick skating line that will be fun to watch once Krebs and Cozens reach their potential.  Lots of options next season though with Quinn and Peterka in the mix.

Krebs developing to be a faster skating Reinhart would be delicious. For a few reasons. Having another player not afraid to get into the dirty areas in front of the net and be an incredible passer. Yes please!

Not to mention to grind the gears of some fans. Muhahaha …. 😂

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.