Getting to know Peyton Krebs

WildCard

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

At this point Krebs looks like he will top out as a Curtis Lazar at best. He has a long way to go and needs to be a LOT better to make a real impact in the future. 

I cannot imagine how Lazar would come to mind when watching Krebs with the puck on his stick. Bewildering comparison.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

I cannot imagine how Lazar would come to mind when watching Krebs with the puck on his stick. Bewildering comparison.

Lazar 1st round, 17th overall pick in 2013.

Krebs 1st round, 17th overall pick in 2019.

If that's not enough for you, both players 6 feet tall, both listed as centre/wing (one right one left but still), both small town western Canada boys, both considered leaders as prospects. So it's pretty good reference point for draft expectations as we are all familiar with Curtis. 

Still bewildering?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

If that's not enough for you, both players 6 feet tall, both listed as centre/wing (one right one left but still), both small town western Canada boys, both considered leaders as prospects. So it's pretty good reference point for draft expectations as we are all familiar with Curtis. 

Still bewildering?

Extremely bewildering. Being 6ft tall hockey player from western Canada does not a comparison make. It's an awful reference point because the production and how they play matters more. 

27 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Still bewildering?

Yes, because none of that actually compares them as hockey players playing the game of hockey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 12/31/2021 at 2:39 PM, PerreaultForever said:

At this point Krebs looks like he will top out as a Curtis Lazar at best. He has a long way to go and needs to be a LOT better to make a real impact in the future. 

I don’t recall Curtis doing anything like this

• Thanks (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Extremely bewildering. Being 6ft tall hockey player from western Canada does not a comparison make. It's an awful reference point because the production and how they play matters more. 

So it's not fair to compare players picked at the exact same spot in a draft in separate years? Good to know, and I hope you remember that in draft threads 🙂

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I don’t recall Curtis doing anything like this

I liked what I saw from Krebs more in this Boston game for sure. 

Lazar was projected to be a top line player when drafted though. Just saying. 

Krebs isn't going to save the franchise next year that's all. He has a lot of developing still to do and there's no guarantees - yet. 

28 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So it's not fair to compare players picked at the exact same spot in a draft in separate years? Good to know, and I hope you remember that in draft threads 🙂

Not unless the production adds up. You're saying the equivalent of Cozens is like Nylander, that doesn't make sense. It really doesn't for Krebs because he slipped due to injury. I don't often compare straight up draft slots. 1st overall sure but after that, not a good comparison unless talking vaguely. For example 7th overall picks turn into 1st line forwards 20% of the time, that kind of thing. 

You gotta compare production, it's how you get Point instead of whatever anyone else drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round that year. It's how you get Kouvinen instead of Poltapov. 

It's why even at 14, I worry about Rosen. You can compare other players at 14 sure but that's just looking at a specific population 14 overall picks, not variables within that population. 

31 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I liked what I saw from Krebs more in this Boston game for sure. 

Lazar was projected to be a top line player when drafted though. Just saying. 

Krebs isn't going to save the franchise next year that's all. He has a lot of developing still to do and there's no guarantees - yet. 

It’s both fair and unfair.  Yes they were drafted in the same slot from the same league, but that is where the comparison ends.  Krebs and Lazar are very different style players.  Krebs was a playmaker in Juniors while Lazar was more of a goal scorer with 41 in his D+1 season.  It’s also unfair to Krebs to assume after 16 NHL games that he’ll end up like Lazar and be a marginal NHL player.  

Truthfully Krebs injury hurt his draft status, but neither guy was ever expected to carry their NHL team.  

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Not unless the production adds up. You're saying the equivalent of Cozens is like Nylander, that doesn't make sense. It really doesn't for Krebs because he slipped due to injury. I don't often compare straight up draft slots. 1st overall sure but after that, not a good comparison unless talking vaguely. For example 7th overall picks turn into 1st line forwards 20% of the time, that kind of thing. 

You gotta compare production, it's how you get Point instead of whatever anyone else drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round that year. It's how you get Kouvinen instead of Poltapov. 

It's why even at 14, I worry about Rosen. You can compare other players at 14 sure but that's just looking at a specific population 14 overall picks, not variables within that population. 

But you're over analyzing my point, which was simply that Krebs is not the #1 or #2 center that some people have already assumed he will be - yet.  

If he doesn't develop more, a lot more, he could end up being no better than say, for example, Lazar, who was different, but also projected to be a top line player when drafted. That's it. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s both fair and unfair.  Yes they were drafted in the same slot from the same league, but that is where the comparison ends.  Krebs and Lazar are very different style players.  Krebs was a playmaker in Juniors while Lazar was more of a goal scorer with 41 in his D+1 season.  It’s also unfair to Krebs to assume after 16 NHL games that he’ll end up like Lazar and be a marginal NHL player.  

Truthfully Krebs injury hurt his draft status, but neither guy was ever expected to carry their NHL team.  

not comparing their styles, I guess that wasn't clear. Just their draft level and expectation. Lazar was just an example everybody knows. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

But you're over analyzing my point, which was simply that Krebs is not the #1 or #2 center that some people have already assumed he will be - yet.  

If he doesn't develop more, a lot more, he could end up being no better than say, for example, Lazar, who was different, but also projected to be a top line player when drafted. That's it. 

not comparing their styles, I guess that wasn't clear. Just their draft level and expectation. Lazar was just an example everybody knows. 

I could say the same thing about Dylan Cozens. 

Ftr, I don't think Krebs will be a #1 C

4 hours ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

Goals like this are what I had hoped that Lazar would have become for us.

Lazar has/had no shot of becoming some offensive dynamo by the time he reached the Sabres.

Edited by WildCard
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think Krebs looked ready and pretty good in the last 2 games.  I don't expect him to be sent down.

I'll ask the same question I asked in the Murray thread: will he continue to get top 6 minutes on a team that is dressing Tuch, Thompson, Skinner, Olofsson, Okposo, Cozens, Girgensons, Asplund, Hinostroza?

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Are you suggesting Krebs and Cozens are at the same level or at the same point in terms of development? Do you consider them similar or roughly equal?

I don't. 

If you can say Krebs is like Lazar then yes I can say Cozens is like Krebs. Honestly Krebs is closer to Cozens than Lazar is. 

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'll ask the same question I asked in the Murray thread: will he continue to get top 6 minutes on a team that is dressing Tuch, Thompson, Skinner, Olofsson, Okposo, Cozens, Girgensons, Asplund, Hinostroza?

I'm not sure "top 6 minutes" is the correct barometer here.  The Sabres have 9 forwards (including Krebs) averaging between 15:23 (Zemgus) and 17:32 (TT) per game.  Krebs is one of them at 16:11 per game.  Vinnie only averages 14:06 per game.

When Cozens returns, he'll probably be ahead of Krebs in the rotation, but I think Krebs will continue to get more ice time than Vinnie and Asplund.  I also can see Krebs surpassing VO, who, as you've pointed out, seems substantially less effective since returning from injury.  His one-time slapper is gone -- I think he's physically unable to shoot it.

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Are you suggesting Krebs and Cozens are at the same level or at the same point in terms of development? Do you consider them similar or roughly equal?

I don't. 

It's difficult to compare players who have different styles of play. Krebs is more of a set-up center with exceptional vision while Cozens has more of a driving and grittier style of game. In my opinion both of them have the capability of being a 2C caliber of player. They are simply different players with different games. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.