Getting to know Peyton Krebs

WildCard

On 1/1/2022 at 7:34 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

No but this was pretty good.

It was a nice play.  It looked a lot like Curtis just flinging his backhand at the corner and it went in.  Krebs skill to dangle in traffic, keep possession and somehow see his bud Alex who was literally behind him, well that’s a whole different level of skill.  Tuch waxed poetic about his former roomie Peyton.  Said he should have been drafted much high and his skill is elite.  Maybe just being a good teammate and friend.  Maybe not. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'm not sure "top 6 minutes" is the correct barometer here.  The Sabres have 9 forwards (including Krebs) averaging between 15:23 (Zemgus) and 17:32 (TT) per game.  Krebs is one of them at 16:11 per game.  Vinnie only averages 14:06 per game.

When Cozens returns, he'll probably be ahead of Krebs in the rotation, but I think Krebs will continue to get more ice time than Vinnie and Asplund.  I also can see Krebs surpassing VO, who, as you've pointed out, seems substantially less effective since returning from injury.  His one-time slapper is gone -- I think he's physically unable to shoot it.

What I meant with top 6 minutes is will he continue to be used in offensive situations with good wingers?

The Sabres don't seem too interested so far in using guys like Krebs in roles like Hinostroza's or Eakin's.

I think the goal is to have guys like Krebs pushing guys like Vinnie, Okposo, Asplund and Girgensons down the lineup and guys like Eakin and Bjork off the roster, rather than sliding them into bottom-line roles of guys like Eakin and Bjork.

Personally, I'd rather have Murray and Krebs in Rochester than being 2/3rds of the 4th line. But if they are going to play higher in the roster, I'm all for keeping them up.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, inkman said:

It was a nice play.  It looked a lot like Curtis just flinging his backhand at the corner and it went in.  Krebs skill to dangle in traffic, keep possession and somehow see his bud Alex who was literally behind him, well that’s a whole different level of skill.  Tuch waxed poetic about his former roomie Peyton.  Said he should have been drafted much high and his skill is elite.  Maybe just being a good teammate and friend.  Maybe not. 

Krebs, as I also noted, should have been drafted higher.  He has a much higher ceiling then Lazar ultimately had, but he is a much different style of player.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What I meant with top 6 minutes is will he continue to be used in offensive situations with good wingers?

The Sabres don't seem too interested so far in using guys like Krebs in roles like Hinostroza's or Eakin's.

I think the goal is to have guys like Krebs pushing guys like Okposo, Asplund and Girgensons down the lineup and guys like Eakin and Bjork off the roster, rather than sliding them into bottom-line roles of guys like Eakin and Bjork.

Gotcha.  I think the answer is yes -- I think Krebs will continue to get PP time, likely ahead of VO, who seems to cough it up every time he gets it. At ES, while Cozens will probably retake the #2C spot with KO, Krebs will take over #3C, with wingers like Vinnie and Zemgus,pushing Eakin down to #4C (and btw I think Eakin has been playing pretty well lately).

So maybe:

Skinner-TT-Tuch

Murray-Cozens-KO

VO-Krebs-Vinnie

Zemgus-Eakin-Asplund

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Krebs is more of a set-up center with exceptional vision

This was supposed to be Reinhart before he was made a RW by Sabres coaching.  But even after moving Reinhart back to center last season, Krebs (in a very small sample) seems like he really is more of that kind of player. He seems to very good at the cross-ice pass which should help zone entries. 

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Gotcha.  I think the answer is yes -- I think Krebs will continue to get PP time, likely ahead of VO, who seems to cough it up every time he gets it. At ES, while Cozens will probably retake the #2C spot with KO, Krebs will take over #3C, with wingers like Vinnie and Zemgus,pushing Eakin down to #4C (and btw I think Eakin has been playing pretty well lately).

So maybe:

Skinner-TT-Tuch

Murray-Cozens-KO

VO-Krebs-Vinnie

Zemgus-Eakin-Asplund

And ten Mitts returns... !

On 1/1/2022 at 6:41 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Lazar 1st round, 17th overall pick in 2013.

Krebs 1st round, 17th overall pick in 2019.

If that's not enough for you, both players 6 feet tall, both listed as centre/wing (one right one left but still), both small town western Canada boys, both considered leaders as prospects. So it's pretty good reference point for draft expectations as we are all familiar with Curtis. 

Still bewildering?

A compelling list of comparable’s

Got any on ice comparisons? 

10 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

This was supposed to be Reinhart before he was made a RW by Sabres coaching.  But even after moving Reinhart back to center last season, Krebs (in a very small sample) seems like he really is more of that kind of player. He seems to very good at the cross-ice pass which should help zone entries. 

If Krebs can develop into a passer as good as Reinhart, that would be the icing on the cake in this trade. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

Look at Ink with his hope-o-meter running on high 😉

I’ve gotten to watch most of Krebs game in this organ-eye-zation.  His vision, anticipation and excecution of dishing dimes is as good as I’ve seen since LaFontaine and Hawerchuk.  I’m not one to usually toot the hype train whistle but this kid has wowed me in every game.  

FYI, Quinn is a better finisher than Peyton is a passer.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Look at Ink with his hope-o-meter running on high 😉

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’ve gotten to watch most of Krebs game in this organ-eye-zation.  His vision, anticipation and excecution of dishing dimes is as good as I’ve seen since LaFontaine and Hawerchuk.  I’m not one to usually toot the hype train whistle but this kid has wowed me in every game.  

He can’t say he wasn’t warned that the hopium 💩 was addicting!!

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, inkman said:

You may not have intended it but you got my optimistic meter rising higher with your Quinn observation. 🍺

If Olofsson can get back to his usual sniping standard it would be helpful. (I believe that he is still impaired from the injury he had. It's obvious by his reluctance to cut loose with his shot that there is still a lingering problem.)

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You may not have intended it but you got my optimistic meter rising higher with your Quinn observation. 🍺

If Olofsson can get back to his usual sniping standard it would be helpful. (I believe that he is still impaired from the injury he had. It's obvious by his reluctance to cut loose with his shot that there is still a lingering problem.)

What I will say about Quinn versus Olofsson is that Olofsson really has 2 shots he is good at. The one timer we all know and love and he has a quick little wrister he pops off. Quinn, his wrister is better, his backhand is lethal, his one timer is great, his ability to change the release point is fantastic. Here is last year when I think his shot was not as good (he has worked on it a lot). 

• Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What I will say about Quinn versus Olofsson is that Olofsson really has 2 shots he is good at. The one timer we all know and love and he has a quick little wrister he pops off. Quinn, his wrister is better, his backhand is lethal, his one timer is great, his ability to change the release point is fantastic. Here is last year when I think his shot was not as good (he has worked on it a lot). 

I have considered Krebs, JJ and Quinn and second line NHL players. Quinn may be a first line NHLer. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have considered Krebs, JJ and Quinn and second line NHL players. Quinn may be a first line NHLer. 

Quinn has first line production at the OHL and now AHL level. You never know when they jump to the next level but it is encouraging. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you believe Jacob Perrault from Anaheim (whom many wanted in an Eichel deal) is a borderline first line talent, you should believe the same for Quinn because Quinn has produced better at the AHL level. Quinn is older though so keep that in mind, if you age adjust Perrault they are basically similar players although I think Quinn is better. 

note similar does not mean the same

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If you believe Jacob Perrault from Anaheim (whom many wanted in an Eichel deal) is a borderline first line talent, you should believe the same for Quinn because Quinn has produced better at the AHL level. Quinn is older though so keep that in mind, if you age adjust Perrault they are basically similar players although I think Quinn is better. 

note similar does not mean the same

Is it ridiculous to project Quinn -> Vanek in terms of role and status? That's my hope for his upside.

Getting to know Krebs

https://theathletic.com/3049527/2022/01/04/peyton-krebs-playmaking-could-keep-him-a-sabre-for-a-long-time/

Krebs said: “I had a buddy, he was always smaller on the ice,” the Sabres center said Monday. “I would tell him to go stand at the other goalie. I would skate down and pass the puck. He’d have backdoor, and everyone would be so pumped because the little guy scored.

“I just got that excitement from passing and getting everyone excited that their kid scored.”

Some things never change. The 20-year-old still gets a kick out of being the assist man, which he proved by setting up Alex Tuch’s first Buffalo goal despite being in point-blank range.

“I’m not really surprised that he did that,” Tuch said. “I’ve seen him do it in practice. That backhand pass is lethal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes, because Quinn has a 2way game Vanek never had. Or at least I don't think Vanek ever had. 

Allow me to rephrase: is it ridiculous to project Quinn as a decade-long  35-goal 1st-line winger?

Edited by dudacek

23 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I'm not sure "top 6 minutes" is the correct barometer here.  The Sabres have 9 forwards (including Krebs) averaging between 15:23 (Zemgus) and 17:32 (TT) per game.  Krebs is one of them at 16:11 per game.  Vinnie only averages 14:06 per game.

When Cozens returns, he'll probably be ahead of Krebs in the rotation, but I think Krebs will continue to get more ice time than Vinnie and Asplund.  I also can see Krebs surpassing VO, who, as you've pointed out, seems substantially less effective since returning from injury.  His one-time slapper is gone -- I think he's physically unable to shoot it.

Should be noted VO is 3rd on the team for points among forwards since he came back from injury - Okposo has 2 more points, Tage has 3 more points 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Honestly that was somewhat of a misconception with Reinhart. Even in junior, and at the WJCs, his stats leaned more "balanced" than his playmaker rep would have you believe. 35 goals and 36 goals the two junior years before being picked. Seeing a 35g 50a junior split makes me think passer AND shooter. To your point - Krebs definitely seems like a pass-first guy, through and through. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Should be noted VO is 3rd on the team for points among forwards since he came back from injury - Okposo has 2 more points, Tage has 3 more points 

His overall game hasn't vanished, just the best part of it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.