GDT: Boston @ Buffalo, Friday, October 22, 7 PM ET, WGR, ESPN+

Doohickie

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This game is a perfect example of one thing, talent deficiency. We hit a hot gt and their talent was able to capitalize on mistakes. Great game from Buffalo in terms of consistency. 

Agree on talent deficiencies but a hot GT?  Ullmark played his first game of the season. 

We struck a post in the 1st.  Skinner missed an open net in the first.  Tage missed and open net in the 2nd.  We struck another post in the 2nd.  Once they hit 3-0 it’s all over.  

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

On the contrary, I think the Sabres' performance is repeatable and can improve. Boston played playoff-level hockey tonight in their 3rd game of the season knowing they needed to be fantastic. As the season wears on, they will not duplicate this night-in and night-out. We take a game or two against this team.

Playoff level hockey???  No one is playing playoff level hockey.  They are just warming up.  I was there. I felt like Boston  took their foot off the gas and tried to get Linus a shutout.  Which happily they did not. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

With the exception of McAvoy (and maybe Lysell last year) Bruins drafting has been sh##    . They've mostly added FAs and made late season trades to stay competitive with that perfection line.   They definitely do however, try to fit players into the existing style they have and favour. That team definitely reflects Cam Neely sitting at the top as overseer. 

You knew Bruins drafting was in trouble when they took Senyshyn over Barzal. It hasn't improved since. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was disappointed with the game, I was really hoping to see them win for my first game since Pre-Covid.    I saw Tony McKegney, Danny Gare and Harry Neal at the game.  The players and fans from the 70-80’s are so saddened to see the state of the team and another empty house.  The few fans that were there were very enthusiastic and involved in the game.  

It was a fun night overall but losing to Boston just sucks.  

38 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I was disappointed with the game, I was really hoping to see them win for my first game since Pre-Covid.    I saw Tony McKegney, Danny Gare and Harry Neal at the game.  The players and fans from the 70-80’s are so saddened to see the state of the team and another empty house.  The few fans that were there were very enthusiastic and involved in the game.  

It was a fun night overall but losing to Boston just sucks.  

I really want to take my son to a game but we both want to be right in front , I just can't justify paying $160+ for 2 tickets to an LA Kings gamein March knowing we'll most likely be out of the playoffs Way before then.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

You knew Bruins drafting was in trouble when they took Senyshyn over Barzal. It hasn't improved since. 

Oh ya, Bruins fans still talk about how badly they blew that draft, 3 first rounders in a very good draft and all they got out of it was DeBrusk. 

Think how good they could have been if they'd taken the next 3 instead of their 3 in a row (Barzal, Connor and Chabot) not to mention Boeser and Koneckny and others better than Senyshyn still out there. Heck of a good draft and they blew it. 

I am as cynical as anyone on this board and watching that game missing our top center, a top pairing defender and our 4th line center who against all odds is no longer the biggest negative in the league and actually decent and seeing us lose due to awful puck luck gave me hope things will get much better much sooner. Imagine if Donny had been given the job 2 seasons back instead of Ralph?

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Agree on talent deficiencies but a hot GT?  Ullmark played his first game of the season. 

We struck a post in the 1st.  Skinner missed an open net in the first.  Tage missed and open net in the 2nd.  We struck another post in the 2nd.  Once they hit 3-0 it’s all over.  

And we hit Ullmark's pad sliding the puck under him. They called it an amazing save but it's more dumb luck.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

One thing is for sure, we just lost 4-1 and no one in here is that upset or ready to trash the team. 

We said coming into the year if we worked hard and showed pride through 60, that would indeed be a giant step in the right direction. We are 3-1 and we've been averaging 35 shots a game and doing it with some speed and skill as well. 

Yep.  For the most part the Sabres outplayed them &/or played them even.

But the B's experience & some puck luck trumped the Sabres effort.

Absolutely Marchand crosschecked Dahlin but expect the combination of him being a "star" and the leeway they are afforded (even when being seriously dirty mo-fo's) along with him being cagey enough to do it from a spot he knew the ref couldn't fully see the cross check allowed him to get away with it.  Even in the "we're cracking down on crosschecks" environment we're supposedly in.

The cheap hit later on Dahlin on the PP was worse IMHO because it was another example of Marchand having zero respect for his opponent & being willing to make a hit when he knows there's a real good chance he'll injure that opponent.  Dahlin needs to realize that Marchand is one of 2 or 3 top liners that will make that play and act accordingly.  

IMHO Dahlin seemed shook by the cross check that led to the goal and was not good the next 3 shifts but he settled down after that.

Ullmark had his A-game.  That, getting lucky on the Hasek-esque save, and a post or 2 along w/ bad bounces was all he needed.

Will Hinistroza EVER take a shot from the slot?  We get it, his hands are trash.  But there are no rebounds or flukey deflections created by bad passes to players outside the slot.

Really liked Cozens game.  Small sample size, but he's looked like he did when he 1st came up since getting that 2nd assist.

Butcher was on the ice for the 1st 2 goals against, but neither seemed to be on him.  (Might need to rebook at the 2nd to verify that.)

If Eakin were available that 1st Bruin goal might not have happened as he's used to playing C and covering that 3rd F trying to find space.  Girgensons has been out of that role for a long time.

Loved the effort.  But, especially w/ no Mittelstadt, these guys just don't have enough finish.

Still want to see Ruotsalainen on the top PP unit.  Having a guy that can deflect pucks & force home rebounds might be the only way to get the PP actually functioning well rather than getting lucky goals or none.  Even in games 1 & 2 when they got 4 PP goals total, they were not sharp.  

Bring on Joisey.  97-1.  😉

• Like (+1) 4

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I absolutely agree with you on the Bruins drafting issues but the one thing they have in favor for them is that players want to sign in Boston to play so they do get to fill in their holes with free agents and players asking to be traded to them.  That's one thing the original 6 teams all seem to have going for them.  The Sabres need to draft well and earn back their respect and I think they are on the way to doing that now.

59 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And we hit Ullmark's pad sliding the puck under him. They called it an amazing save but it's more dumb luck.

Yes.  Linus was good but we didn’t put away our chances.  I thought we looked good in the first after the slow start but they potted 2 and they are a much better, and more mature and confident team.  

I walked out of there sad.   I talked to a person in ticket sales this morning.  She said 6670 was her last count yesterday afternoon before the game. 

The loudest and most excited the crowd got was when this guy was on the screen waving to the crowd. The “Groot” cheers were sounding a little like Luuuucce.   

1512A581-A494-4888-A814-49143791C4B9.thumb.jpeg.f1fa139cfdb183c4ce9ea890ccec106f.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yes.  Linus was good but we didn’t put away our chances.  I thought we looked good in the first after the slow start but they potted 2 and they are a much better, and more mature and confident team.  

I walked out of there sad.   I talked to a person in ticket sales this morning.  She said 6670 was her last count yesterday afternoon before the game. 

The loudest and most excited the crowd got was when this guy was on the screen waving to the crowd. The “Groot” cheers were sounding a little like Luuuucce.   

1512A581-A494-4888-A814-49143791C4B9.thumb.jpeg.f1fa139cfdb183c4ce9ea890ccec106f.jpeg

People are finally sending Kim and Terry a message. Since it involves earnings I’m sure they hear it loud and clear. The small crowds and lack of merchandise sales is the only way to say that we do not accept losing. Put up or shut up. Get it right. Not sure hope and a prayer will sell tickets but even if they are on the right track I’d like to see these clowns suffer some more in the pocket. Lord knows they can afford it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Craig Anderson reads the play remarkably well. 
And, at this point of his career, he might be the slowest goalie laterally I’ve ever seen.

He actually made it over on that PP goal but the puck slid in a perfect spot between his arm.... But yes, he's slow for sure. 

His rebound control seems pretty calm and solid though

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.