Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Makes sense- can’t have on ice advertising without the ice to play on. And ASU has all the leverage here as where would the coyotes go if ASU wasn’t letting them use their ice?

Not necessarily.  Would they get revenue from ads digitally projected onto the ice, boards and glass if they're not physically there?

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Quebec, where they belong.

Houston.  It's happening, I tell ya.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It's utterly embarrassing for a professional team to have antics like this. Bettman screwed the pooch big time. 

He's not going to ever admit it. The weird thing is that the other owners (and players association) aren't angrier about this. The PA has escrow to pay off.

While Phoenix is a big market it's also secluded (even including Tucson) and it's closest geographical rival (Vegas) isn't in the same division because Seattle joined the league. 

But there's an even larger market over in Houston with much greater population density within a day's drive. It has a location to pull in fans from other markets from Austin to New Orleans. It has an immediate in-division rival in Dallas. (As to the AHL: the Aeros will be fine. And heck, Bettman could work to get an AHL team in Phoenix if it would ease the pain for the fans.) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

He's not going to ever admit it. The weird thing is that the other owners (and players association) aren't angrier about this. The PA has escrow to pay off.

While Phoenix is a big market it's also secluded (even including Tucson) and it's closest geographical rival (Vegas) isn't in the same division because Seattle joined the league. 

But there's an even larger market over in Houston with much greater population density within a day's drive. It has a location to pull in fans from other markets from Austin to New Orleans. It has an immediate in-division rival in Dallas. (As to the AHL: the Aeros will be fine. And heck, Bettman could work to get an AHL team in Phoenix if it would ease the pain for the fans.) 

This is what I think eventually happens.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It's utterly embarrassing for a professional team to have antics like this. Bettman screwed the pooch big time. 

Yup. It's one thing to have to use a college football stadium (equally-sized) while your new stadium is built/renovated for a season. It's another thing entirely to not pay your rent, get evicted from your venue, and then sign on voluntarily for 3-4 years of a venue that's 30% capacity of a regular stadium. What the hell! The NFL would threaten to move the team in a heartbeat. Heck, MLB would be whispering about contraction to scare up either a new stadium or a move.

47 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Yup. It's one thing to have to use a college football stadium (equally-sized) while your new stadium is built/renovated for a season. It's another thing entirely to not pay your rent, get evicted from your venue, and then sign on voluntarily for 3-4 years of a venue that's 30% capacity of a regular stadium. What the hell! The NFL would threaten to move the team in a heartbeat. Heck, MLB would be whispering about contraction to scare up either a new stadium or a move.

Imagine if the Bills played 3 seasons at UB or the Blue Jays played three seasons at Pilot Field (for non-pandemic reasons).  Either league would have shut 'em right down or moved them.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Imagine if the Bills played 3 seasons at UB or the Blue Jays played three seasons at Pilot Field (for non-pandemic reasons).  Either league would have shut 'em right down or moved them.

Precisely. Or at the very least, they'd have kicked the commissioner aside for someone whose priority was real revenue and not a 25-year mirage in the desert. (Granted, for a few seasons it was good -- pretty much until the last of the original Jets were gone, and then a blip when Tippett replaced Gretzky.)

17 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

If so then that explains it. Though I do think it’s odd his entire staff left with him

Could simply be a courtesy to the assistants to let them look for a new job while a new HC is being identified.  If that's the case, could see some of them back.

When Whaley was canned by the Bills all the scouts were released but a few stuck around.

Or, it could be more nefarious.  Will assume it's out of courtesy until we hear otherwise.

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Crazy stat: Bowness has coached more NHL games than anyone else in league history, either as an assistant or as a head coach.

Go enjoy some of that money man

I guess I always forget how old Rust is. A 50-point winger who's been in the top 6 with Crosby and Malkins as his centers... 6x$5. It's a slightly lighter version of the Okposo deal, but he's 1 year older and has slightly worse numbers than Okposo had had at the time.

The question is... if Malkin moves on this offseason and then Crosby continues to slow down and is the sole focus of the opposition... does this contract age well? Time will tell.

The good news is... this should set the market on the max cap hit that VO could ask.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I guess I always forget how old Rust is. A 50-point winger who's been in the top 6 with Crosby and Malkins as his centers... 6x$5. It's a slightly lighter version of the Okposo deal, but he's 1 year older and has slightly worse numbers than Okposo had had at the time.

The question is... if Malkin moves on this offseason and then Crosby continues to slow down and is the sole focus of the opposition... does this contract age well? Time will tell.

The good news is... this should set the market on the max cap hit that VO could ask.

Rust is a pt a game player 2 of the last 3 years. I guess this maxes VO’s contract at 5 for 5?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Rust is a pt a game player 2 of the last 3 years. I guess this maxes VO’s contract at 5 for 5?

<PRE>                                                                            
                                                                                                                                              Per     Per     Per       Per
Player                                Tm    Pos  From   To        Active  GP         S%         TOI              G         A       PTS        S
Victor Olofsson                 BUF  RW  2018  2022      4         188       12.5       3182         0.29    0.38    0.68    2.35
Bryan Rust                        PIT    RW  2014  2022      8         424       12.9      7028         0.29    0.34    0.64    2.27
</PRE>

Provided by <a href="https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Stathead.com</a>: <a href="https://stathead.com/hockey/pcomp_finder.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">View Stathead Tool Used</a><br>Generated 5/22/2022.

The bolded are per game.   Goals, assists, points, shots. Per Stathead hockey.

13 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

The last couple years of it won't look good, but it probably wont' matter much.

First, you are looking to get Rust through the Crosby end of deal, which this does.  The contract after that, the Penguins will likely be in rebuild mode after Crosby's deal is done and you will have the cap room to 'overpay' an aging player like Rust.  Finally, in 4 years from now, even a 'bad' $5 per year contract isn't all that bad with what the cap might be if it goes up by then.