Can the Sabres Franchise Survive Another Tank/Rebuild?

GASabresIUFAN

While we are passionate fans on this site, I have and am giving serious consideration to throwing in the towel on this franchise.  I've been a passionate fan since their inaugural season, but this past season combined with KA's poor management and the new tank roster with the worst goaltending tandem of any team I can ever remember has shaken my faith to the core.  I truly have had enough.

I wonder if I feel this way, how do most others feel.  My guess is the team will be giving tickets away all season just to get anyone to come to a game.  I'm certainly not going to pay to watch through a streaming service.  

If people continue to jump ship, will there be anything left in 2-3 years?

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While we are passionate fans on this site, I have and am giving serious consideration to throwing in the towel on this franchise.  I've been a passionate fan since their inaugural season, but this past season combined with KA's poor management and the new tank roster with the worst goaltending tandem of any team I can ever remember has shaken my faith to the core.  I truly have had enough.

I wonder if I feel this way, how do most others feel.  My guess is the team will be giving tickets away all season just to get anyone to come to a game.  I'm certainly not going to pay to watch through a streaming service.  

Good questions.

This is far and away the most down on this club yours truly has ever been.  Have split seasons w/ my dad for well over 2 decades and he does NOT want me to renew.  If they are renewed might be giving a lot of tix away if people will take 'em.

There are literally only 3 games that are of interest this year.  If they are renewed might only attend 5 games total including the Meet Up.  Might just be Webster at that one for company.

If those of us that are this rabid are this down, attendance will be through the floorboards.

Expect it'll bounce back.  It always had with a good product to watch but it's been so long since there was a good product to watch.  The early season win mirages under Housley & Krueger seem lifetimes ago.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Good questions.

This is far and away the most down on this club yours truly has ever been.  Have split seasons w/ my dad for well over 2 decades and he does NOT want me to renew.  If they are renewed might be giving a lot of tix away if people will take 'em.

There are literally only 3 games that are of interest this year.  If they are renewed might only attend 5 games total including the Meet Up.  Might just be Webster at that one for company.

If those of us that are this rabid are this down, attendance will be through the floorboards.

Expect it'll bounce back.  It always had with a good product to watch but it's been so long since there was a good product to watch.  The early season win mirages under Housley & Krueger seem lifetimes ago.

We are in pretty much the exact same spot, I'm thinking. 

Easily the lowest point for me, too. Speaking for myself, it's not even a question of "giving up on the team". I was born into it, I don't even remember consciously choosing. That's probably a cop out as in reality I make the choice to be a fan every day, but giving them up isn't even realistic, even if I ever wanted to. Being a fan(atic) of a professional sports team, especially a diehard one, is IMO such an illogical thing to do that to have come this far proves in my own mind I'll never stop. Too pot-committed at my age now, anyways. 

I do care about finding entertainment in consuming the product though, actually it's the only thing I really care about. To me right now that's just winning hockey games. To be completely honest - I just don't care to sit through another rebuild, I'm not entertained by hard-fought losses. I feel like being apart of the NHL again. The whole season actually mattering. It's such a small requirement but it's been absent.

So, I usually watch every game each season, save a few. If the plan is trying to get a high pick, if we're going to be really bad, and that proves out to be the case a little ways into the season, I will avoid watching the games. 

I'll just be a Sabres fan not watching the games. 

Edit - I also don't intend to feel guilty for missing games if they stink, and watching again more thoroughly once we get a whiff of winning. I've built of 30 years of cache, they don't owe me, but I don't have to feel bad about making them earn my watch. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really view sports fandom as a decision that evolves over time. Once you're a fan of a team, you're a fan of a team. I'm not really of the opinion that that changes due to the performance of the team. 

I may be alone in that, but I suspect I'm not. 

• Like (+1) 4

In my mind, the question really boils down to whether ownership is committed and supportive of getting it right, even if it takes more years to get there.  More years of rebuilding will potentially see declining attendance and interest, but both will come back in the future if the team wins.  If the Pegulas do want to sell the team that can lead to significant uncertainty for the future of the rebuild and the team.  

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is the rub. I think Kevyn Adams has been more than competent. He's now in charge of the Sabres, not like last year when he had to back up the head coach he inherited. So to say he's exhibited poor management after half an offseason is ludicrous. He got good value for Risto, okay value on Sam, and he's not getting railroaded by the fans, media or other GMs with Eichel. I don't know if he even tried to sign any major free agents but he's expressed a desire to go with youth and have them develop. We won't be making the playoffs but if we show improvement and be at least entertaining to watch, that's a good step in year one.

You can't erase the last ten years. You have to recover one small step at a time. The last thing we need is another reboot over imagined failures.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

In my mind, the question really boils down to whether ownership is committed and supportive of getting it right, even if it takes more years to get there.  More years of rebuilding will potentially see declining attendance and interest, but both will come back in the future if the team wins.  If the Pegulas do want to sell the team that can lead to significant uncertainty for the future of the rebuild and the team.  

As long as Bettman is commissioner, the Sabres have extremely little chance of ever moving. IMO. 

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is the rub. I think Kevyn Adams has been more than competent. He's now in charge of the Sabres, not like last year when he had to back up the head coach he inherited. So to say he's exhibited poor management after half an offseason is ludicrous. He got good value for Risto, okay value on Sam, and he's not getting railroaded by the fans, media or other GMs with Eichel. I don't know if he even tried to sign any major free agents but he's expressed a desire to go with youth and have them develop. We won't be making the playoffs but if we show improvement and be at least entertaining to watch, that's a good step in year one.

You can't erase the last ten years. You have to recover one small step at a time. The last thing we need is another reboot over imagined failures.

Year 2. I don't think we've seen any kind of convincing proof that Krueger was MORE in charge than Adams was, rather that he was on a similar level. 

Edited by Thorny

It is a great question.  I'm 53 and have been a Sabres fan my whole life.  Last year during the losing streak was the first time that I had to turn it off (everything) and ignore the team.  I questioned the character and leadership on the team because they were playing so badly.  Slowly I came back to watch after Krueger was fired, Eichel shut it down for the year and Hall was traded.  I did see some promise and glimmer of hope at the end of the season.

I'm optimistic right now hoping for the best but it can really be hard to continue waiting for the turn around.  I'm not convinced that this is the best way to rebuild a team but I am willing to go with the team for the journey once again.

• Like (+1) 1

Well I’m embarrassed to be a fan. That says something. Fan since I was 9 or 10. There’s no getting over it. Terry and Kim have screwed the pooch on this one. I have stuck with this team through thick and thin but I’m damn close to throwing in the towel. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am a Sabre for life.  

Fans are leaving right now although I believe most of them will come back if/when this gets fixed. The young fans know only losing and mediocrity (at best)  but like the Bills fans, they will be back when the team gets exciting and more successful.   

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, fiftyone said:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really view sports fandom as a decision that evolves over time. Once you're a fan of a team, you're a fan of a team. I'm not really of the opinion that that changes due to the performance of the team. 

I may be alone in that, but I suspect I'm not. 

This ^^^.

Be a fan, not a fanatic. Your life will be better for it.

• Thanks (+1) 2

I'll always be a fan, a bit excited to see how the young players produce this year (not that I have lofty expectations, I'd be shocked if we're not bottom 3 in the league). As far as the team in the short term - not that excited, but I'll watch and go to games.  

On surviving another rebuild, going with hope for the best, expect the worst.  Best case - we learned from a decade of mistakes, and properly build a team that can compete for the playoffs in few years.  Worst case - Groundhog's day.

Edit. Should add, hoping we find some form of consistency and stability within the organization.

Edited by Shmuffalo

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I am a Sabre for life.  

Fans are leaving right now although I believe most of them will come back if/when this gets fixed. The young fans know only losing and mediocrity (at best)  but like the Bills fans, they will be back when the team gets exciting and more successful.   

And this is a problem. Excuse the holier-than-thou approach but.. if you hop off the wagon when things are tough, don't bother coming back when they're good again.

I actually think for me that the bottoming out finishes with the Eichel trade. That makes ripping off the scab complete.

It's not hard for me to find hope in change, in knowing there's a course and watching them execute (or not). Adams has hit the reset button hard enough to virtually make this an expansion team and that will hold the interest for the part of me that spends an inordinate amount of time playing fantasy coach and general manager on Sabrespace.

The part of me that enjoys watching good hockey will be more challenged, but speed and effort can make a difference. I will find it very easy to root for underdog stories like Ruotsalanien, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Samuelsson, Anderson, Quinn, Girgensons, Okposo and Granato as they try to prove people wrong.

And I look forward to watching the obvious talents of Dahlin and Cozens blossom as I scour the games and the internet for reasons to fool myself into seeing signs that Adams' plan is working.

Don't blame those who are tuning out one bit though. It's been a long, hard slog.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

As long as Bettman is commissioner, the Sabres have extremely little chance of ever moving. IMO. 

Year 2. I don't think we've seen any kind of convincing proof that Krueger was MORE in charge than Adams was, rather that he was on a similar level. 

KA clearly has more control this year than last.  Last year I think he readily accepted cues and suggestions from others including Krueger.  This offseason will have his stamp on it, but even with that, it will reflect a step in a longer term plan and will not be a finished product like we all hoped we'd see last year. 

I think if Jack hadn't been injured and had gelled with Hall, we'd be closer to done, but we all know that's not how it worked out.  With Jack on the way out but not yet knowing what chips will come back in return, KA is in a tough situation.  If he decides to hold firm to his get for Eichel, it will likely take even longer and may involve Jack playing at least part of the season for the Sabres (to demonstrate his level of recovery).

Still, I kind of like the appearance that KA is looking at a longer term plan and that he's looking more a building a team rather than populating around a single player as the last couple GMs have done.  A lot of people seem to scoff at comparisons to the Bills but at this point in time I think there is a similar feel in terms of bringing in players that will be all in and willing to play for the bigger WE than the I.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Digger said:

it can really be hard to continue waiting for the turn around.

With the ongoing Eichel trade saga it feels like KA can't really do what he wants with the team until there's resolution.  The team will be in a kind of limbo.  I think that's probably why he "showed discipline" in not getting in bidding wars over McCabe and Ullmark:  With the Jack situation delaying things he's looking more at a longer build.  I'm okay with that, as long as it shows signs of coming together as the year progresses.

21 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

KA clearly has more control this year than last.  Last year I think he readily accepted cues and suggestions from others including Krueger.  This offseason will have his stamp on it, but even with that, it will reflect a step in a longer term plan and will not be a finished product like we all hoped we'd see last year. 

I think if Jack hadn't been injured and had gelled with Hall, we'd be closer to done, but we all know that's not how it worked out.  With Jack on the way out but not yet knowing what chips will come back in return, KA is in a tough situation.  If he decides to hold firm to his get for Eichel, it will likely take even longer and may involve Jack playing at least part of the season for the Sabres (to demonstrate his level of recovery).

Still, I kind of like the appearance that KA is looking at a longer term plan and that he's looking more a building a team rather than populating around a single player as the last couple GMs have done.  A lot of people seem to scoff at comparisons to the Bills but at this point in time I think there is a similar feel in terms of bringing in players that will be all in and willing to play for the bigger WE than the I.

2 seasons with either no expectations or no accountability. What a cake job. Can't blame him for taking this path, honestly. 

You're the one with the Grima analogy. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.