Can the Sabres Franchise Survive Another Tank/Rebuild?

GASabresIUFAN

8 hours ago, YouDigg said:

I was looking at the current Sabres roster today and I don’t even know over half the players anymore.  Most of the returning players are either young and haven’t reached their potential (Olofsson, Dahlin, Cozens, etc.) or are older underachievers (Skinner, Okposo, etc).  90% of the players we added in free agency are scrubs.  What are we rooting for at this point?  The logo?  The team colors?

I truly don’t understand why any of you would spend a penny of your hard-earned money on single game tickets, let alone season tickets, to watch this awful AHL-caliber team finish dead last AGAIN next season.  We have NO GOALTENDER.  We haven’t even spent to the FLOOR of the salary cap. You are paying NHL ticket prices to watch the Rochester Americans. 

Save yourselves the misery and skip next season completely.  Check in again on the Sabres in 2022 and prepare to skip next season too.  You all deserve so much better from this team.  In the meantime, put your full energy into rooting for the Bills.  If you must root for a hockey team, then casually follow the teams that our former players got traded to or signed with (Flyers, Panthers, Blackhawks, etc). 

I’m not some fanboi that wants to suck the players *****.  I don’t have a player as my avatar or profile pick.  I root for the Sabres. I don’t pay any money to watch them.  I don’t own a hockey jersey.  I don’t understand your brand of fandom.  This ***** is in my veins.  I breath this stuff.  I can’t remove it from my life. It IS my life, as sad as that is to say. 

• Like (+1) 3

For the Sabres fans to even be having this conversation is sad.  Buffalo fell in love with the Sabres from Day 1.  They started as a model franchise.  Tickets were very hard to get for over a decade.  Over the years they had ups and downs, some great players, no Cup but a more than respectable 40 years of mostly winning. 

What can I say about the last 10 years that hasn’t been already said?   At some point ownership will find the right people to run the team and then hopefully step away from operations.  I do think they want this too.  Either that or they will move on from hockey.   The Sabres will outlast them.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

I’m convinced that this franchise can survive virtually anything, that’s how die hard our fanbase base is. I do believe it’s slowly taking a toll though, and if we go another 10 years of this we will lose many potential fans.

Edited by I-90 W
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

For the Sabres fans to even be having this conversation is sad.  Buffalo fell in love with the Sabres from Day 1.  They started as a model franchise.  Tickets were very hard to get fir over a decade.  Over the years they had ups and downs, some great players, no Cup but a more than respectable 40 years of mostly winning. 

What can I say about the last 10 years that hasn’t been already said?   At some point ownership will find the right people to run the team and then hopefully step away from operations.  I do think they want this too.  Either that or they will move on from hockey.   The Sabres will outlast them.  

The biggest mistake the owners could make is to not give this regime the time to implement their rebuilding plan. The biggest mistake the owners have made throughout their reign is constantly churning through coaches and GMs. It is this instability that has repeatedly set back this franchise. The lack of follow through and this constant starting and stopping with new rebuilding plans has not only not advanced this franchise but has repeatedly set it back. Continued foolishness leads to predictable results. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The biggest mistake the owners could make is to not give this regime the time to implement their rebuilding plan. The biggest mistake the owners have made throughout their reign is constantly churning through coaches and GMs. It is this instability that has repeatedly set back this franchise. The lack of follow through and this constant starting and stopping with new rebuilding plans has not only not advanced this franchise but has repeatedly set it back. Continued foolishness leads to predictable results. 

This is what concerns me, that Terry and Kim won’t have the patience for what KA is looking to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

For the Sabres fans to even be having this conversation is sad.  Buffalo fell in love with the Sabres from Day 1.  They started as a model franchise.  Tickets were very hard to get fir over a decade.  Over the years they had ups and downs, some great players, no Cup but a more than respectable 40 years of mostly winning. 

I liked the post based on the final sentence. But I suspect you have the order of how things turn around backwards. I believe stepping away is a prerequisite to finding the right people.

8 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

This is what concerns me, that Terry and Kim won’t have the patience for what KA is looking to do. 

When the Pegulas bought the Bills they made some crazy staffing decisions such as hiring the then recently fired and buffoonish Rex Ryan. The disastrous results were predictable. After going through a number of bad hires they finally got it right with the hiring of McDermott. What they got right is not simply hiring the right person for the job but also empowering him to run the football operation without interference. The results are evident. The organization went from being ridiculed to now being a model football operation. 

I'm just hoping that he will take the same approach with KA and this staff. Whether one agrees with the rebuilding strategy at least there is a coherent plan to follow. Now success or failure is predicated on the execution. Will the owners have the fortitude and patience to follow through with the strategy? That's the challenge.  

• Like (+1) 2

100% yes.... I've heard this same topics in the Buffalo Bills message boards for 17 seasons, people quitting the team that day because we didn't pick up any viable free agents only to return the next day and say they hate the team etc., this board is no different than those and Hockey is just as popular here. We will sustain it, hate it while it's going on and we know that's what's happening and we'll get so much satisfaction when they turn it around just like we do for our Bills. We should be grateful we have a team, support them because 1 day this franchise will be good whether it's by accident or on purpose it's going to happen so we should all be there when it happens, so I'll see you all there on that day!!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

We should be grateful we have a team, support them because 1 day this franchise will be good whether it's by accident or on purpose it's going to happen so we should all be there when it happens, so I'll see you all there on that day!!!! 

Is this Terry, Kim, or one of the bad baseball cap designers?

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Go back to your Leafs forum.

Not fair.  Other then the rooting for another team his comments were pretty accurate.  The team is populated with kids and guys looking to stay in the NHL.  They are better then an AHL team, but not much on paper and the goaltending situation is an absolute joke.  Why waste money on an inferior product?

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not fair.  Other then the rooting for another team his comments were pretty accurate.  The team is populated with kids and guys looking to stay in the NHL.  They are better then an AHL team, but not much on paper and the goaltending situation is an absolute joke.  Why waste money on an inferior product?

If a person doesn't want to spend money or time on an inferior product then he/she shouldn't. Everyone has a different tolerance level. What's the point of constantly lamenting about something that is evident to all. If the situation is dire then the next obvious question is what are the solutions? Is there a course of action that will get this team to a better point? If so, what is the timeframe? That's where my focus has been this offseason and will be this season. Howling at the moon might be cathartic but after a certain point is it useful? 

of course it can.  

If they continue to play offensive minded hockey under Granato and show improvements, we will survive this season. The completed pretty well over the last couple of months of last season in a tough division, maybe they surprise us?

More than anything they just need to show that this time the re-build is being done right. Im excited for this season, even though I know they will lose more than they win.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Go back to GA

• Haha (+1) 1

If the Sabres can continue their upward trajectory under Granato that they showed last season, they will be competitive and watchable this season, IF they acquire a starting caliber NHL goalie.  They might also get lucky if UPL develops quickly.  He actually looked better in Buffalo than he did in Rochester.  Any talent they acquire for Eichel will be icing on the cake.  They will not a Stanley Cup contender and probably won't make the playoffs, but they won't be awful.  The following season, the young guys will be further along, Power will be on the team, the goaltending situation should be better and they could be competing for a playoff spot.  This is the glass-half-full view of the situation that I am choosing to take.

I've been a lifelong fan and it certainly has been a struggle these last few years, but they will turn the corner.  The Bills drought was 17 years and look where they are now.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 4

Buffalo will survive, but whether they ever climb out of the NHL's basement is debatable.  People are already concluding that Adams and Granato will be successful, but there are serious questions about both of them.  Adams has zero experience as an NHL GM and Granato is new to his role.  For that reason, no one should assume they'll get it right.  Tearing down the roster will be easy compared to rebuilding and that's not started yet.     

If this team does not win by the end of year 2, the Sabres will remain under minimal budgets in players and front office.       

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

If the Sabres can continue their upward trajectory under Granato that they showed last season, they will be competitive and watchable this season, IF they acquire a starting caliber NHL goalie.  They might also get lucky if UPL develops quickly.  He actually looked better in Buffalo than he did in Rochester.  Any talent they acquire for Eichel will be icing on the cake.  They will not a Stanley Cup contender and probably won't make the playoffs, but they won't be awful.  The following season, the young guys will be further along, Power will be on the team, the goaltending situation should be better and they could be competing for a playoff spot.  This is the glass-half-full view of the situation that I am choosing to take.

I've been a lifelong fan and it certainly has been a struggle these last few years, but they will turn the corner.  The Bills drought was 17 years and look where they are now.

Hey there,

2112 is awesome, but what is the msw part?  You don't have to tell me.

Nice post, by the way.

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

lot of ifs in there

21 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is the rub. I think Kevyn Adams has been more than competent. He's now in charge of the Sabres, not like last year when he had to back up the head coach he inherited. So to say he's exhibited poor management after half an offseason is ludicrous. He got good value for Risto, okay value on Sam, and he's not getting railroaded by the fans, media or other GMs with Eichel. I don't know if he even tried to sign any major free agents but he's expressed a desire to go with youth and have them develop. We won't be making the playoffs but if we show improvement and be at least entertaining to watch, that's a good step in year one.

You can't erase the last ten years. You have to recover one small step at a time. The last thing we need is another reboot over imagined failures.

I agree with much of this, and I like KA, but criticizing him is far from ludicrous IMHO.  He was GM of a team that finished DFL, and he certainly wasn’t trying to achieve that outcome.  He also appears to have neglected the most critical position on the team 2 years in a row.  

21 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I am a Sabre for life.  

Fans are leaving right now although I believe most of them will come back if/when this gets fixed. The young fans know only losing and mediocrity (at best)  but like the Bills fans, they will be back when the team gets exciting and more successful.   

Yes indeed.

15 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

I don't really understand why most are so down.  I fully understand where we are and that there's a lot of losing that will happen this season and likely the next.  But I'm excited about where we are and that we are able to start again. 

I'm happy that we didn't sign Linus and that we traded Risto and Sam.  Nothing against them, it just simply didn't make sense.   

We get to watch young players and see "what we have" in them - finally have a decent pipeline, with goalies - only one bad contract - Eichel that will bring even more to the fold - and plenty of cap.

It's going to be fun watching this opportunity we have again to build a team.

I agree with much of this, but if KA doesn’t bring in a credible goalie by opening night, I think there will be I way to avoid the conclusion that he is tanking, which I find unacceptable and, like last time, a stupid and shortsighted plan that is highly likely to keep the team in the basement for another generation.

If that happens I will probably do what I ultimately did with the Bills — not turn my back on them entirely, and watch the odd game, but pull back quite a bit in terms of time and emotional investment, and not plan my days around watching them.

A rebuild is fine, but they have to try to win along the way.  Trying to lose is freaking terrible.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with much of this, and I like KA, but criticizing him is far from ludicrous IMHO.  He was GM of a team that finished DFL, and he certainly wasn’t trying to achieve that outcome.  He also appears to have neglected the most critical position on the team 2 years in a row.  

Yes indeed.

I agree with much of this, but if KA doesn’t bring in a credible goalie by opening night, I think there will be I way to avoid the conclusion that he is tanking, which I find unacceptable and, like last time, a stupid and shortsighted plan that is highly likely to keep the team in the basement for another generation.

If that happens I will probably do what I ultimately did with the Bills — not turn my back on them entirely, and watch the odd game, but pull back quite a bit in terms of time and emotional investment, and not plan my days around watching them.

A rebuild is fine, but they have to try to win along the way.  Trying to lose is freaking terrible.  

Why is this always happening?  That's not how this is supposed to work

29 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree, and mentioned this in the goalie thread(or somewhere else), and will stand firm.  If the season opens, with any combo of the 5 goalies currently under contract on the big boy roster, it’s a tank, and I think it will be a big mistake.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.