Who’s the goalie tandem in 21-22???

Crusader1969

If no other goalies are added (it doesn’t really look like they will be), the plan might just be for all of Anderson, Dell, Tokarski, and UPL to get some NHL starts.  The latter 3 are all on 2-way contracts.  If someone gets hot, ride them for a bit, if someone struggles, don’t start them, give UPL some games but don’t be in a position where you need to send him out if he is struggling.

Its not going to lead to great results because none of them are very good, but there is still the possibility that another goalie is brought in at some point

If the reports are true that the Sabres had offered Ullmark the same deal he got from Boston, there is no way the plan was to sign two goalies for a combined 1.5 mil.  

I’m guessing they got blindsided by Ullmark walking, and now are going to have to make a trade for a starter. 

30 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If the reports are true that the Sabres had offered Ullmark the same deal he got from Boston, there is no way the plan was to sign two goalies for a combined 1.5 mil.  

I’m guessing they got blindsided by Ullmark walking, and now are going to have to make a trade for a starter. 

How were the Sabres blindsided? If they are offering a player to play on a team that is being deconstructed the same contract as a genuine cup contending team. Why should it be surprising that the player prefers the better situation? When you are running an unstable operation and competing with a stable operation there is a premium to pay for it. If you had a choice to either buy a house in a ghetto or pay the same price in an upscale suburban area what decision do you think the potential buyer is going to make?

The Sabres have a history of overpaying for players with long terms who didn't merit it. This is a case where if they reasonably overpaid for Ullmark it would have made sense for a variety of reasons. The first is that the team has plenty of cap space to handle the slightly excessive contract. And the second and more important reason is that by stabilizing the goaltending situation you are providing more support for a very young roster that will need it.

The mantra of drafting and developing as the new way of running the hockey operation is spouted out a lot. The shame of the Ullmark saga is that the Sabres drafted and took years to develop him only to see him bolt. This is another example of a self-induced setback for a franchise that it is already so far back that it is out of sight with the rest of the teams. It's maddening! 

• Like (+1) 1

Adams prefer seemed to make it clear that he would have no problem running UPL as the starter if he can seize the job, and he gave the impression that he thinks it might be possible. I think that’s a bad call.

Linus did not get term because they did not believe he can be the goalie for this team when it gets good. Another bad call.

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

Could Oettinger be pried out of Dallas? Young up and comer looking for a break. .911 Sv % last season.

Bishop out all year so Khudobin is the starter and they signed Holtby. This kid looks like their future #1 but are they blocking him?

Goalies will shake loose after training camps. Will any good ones want to sign here? 

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Goalies will shake loose after training camps. Will any good ones want to sign here? 

I would have to believe any goalie who shakes loose would rather have a shot at NHL playing time even on a bad team, than being stuck in the minors or stapled to a press box. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, French Collection said:

Could Oettinger be pried out of Dallas? Young up and comer looking for a break. .911 Sv % last season.

Bishop out all year so Khudobin is the starter and they signed Holtby. This kid looks like their future #1 but are they blocking him?

I was actually thinking they may go with Holtby and Oettinger as goalies and move Khudobin.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:17 AM, Topshelf13 said:

I wonder what Granato thinks of this tandem. He waits years to get a chance as an NHL coach and this is what they provide him with? 

"I am grateful for the opportunity to coach in the NHL."  -Donny Meatballs.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I'd like to see them make a play for Giorgiev or Gustavsson from Ottawa. Either way I don't think they're done yet.

The way I see the Eichel deal, there is no way we should trade him unless we get a good starting goalie in the deal. I mean, if you want to start a winning culture, then start a winning culture! It starts in goal. If that does not happen, just keep him.

33 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

The way I see the Eichel deal, there is no way we should trade him unless we get a good starting goalie in the deal. I mean, if you want to start a winning culture, then start a winning culture! It starts in goal. If that does not happen, just keep him.

Agree 100%. They need a plan in the net and its not what they have now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.