Sabres sign UFA LW Vinnie Hinostroza from Chicago

In The Buff

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/91243/vinnie-hinostroza

27 year old 5'9" journeyman through CHI, ARI, FLA, and traded back to CHI for Brad Morrison in a minor swap before this year's deadline.

5G 17A 22P in 68GP in '19-20 with ARI.  Decent possession and usage.

4G 8A 12P in 17GP with CHI, after 0P in 9GP with FLA.  Good corsi rate stats on both sides of the puck.  Somewhat high GF/60 and HDCF/60, but unremarkable GA/60- not a shutdown winger.  Granato coached him in CHI in 2017-18.

Could be one of those "bottom six with offensive upside" players, but just as likely to be unremarkable.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

My point is you have not seen him play on a regular basis(nor have I), so why not reserve the criticism until he plays as a Sabre?

I like the potential of the signing based on what I've read - but he was literally terrible with Florida. Not sure why that can't be said now.

so it is free-agent frenzy day and we are all here to try and make it sound like the big announcement of signing some guy we have never heard of with a name we can't pronounce is a "decent" signing? Boy we sure are the laughing stock of the NHL. We give away Sam then sign this guy? I can't help but wonder how management and the Pegulas can't be embarrassed...

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

so it is free-agent frenzy day and we are all here to try and make it sound like the big announcement of signing some guy we have never heard of with a name we can't pronounce is a "decent" signing? Boy we sure are the laughing stock of the NHL. We give away Sam then sign this guy? I can't help but wonder how management and the Pegulas can't be embarrassed...

The signing is fine for winger depth - we literally had no 12th F - it was going to be Fogarty or something. It's not the worst day to not do much in FA, either

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, sabrefanday1 said:

The Sabres have traditionally been very active on UFA day.  The likes of Okposo, Moulson, Leino, Erhoff, Eakin, Irwin, a whose who of NHL All-Stars. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Once again...did you see him play those 9 games?   I’m as negative as anyone here, but c’mon man. 

No one said he’d be terrible in Buffalo, but it’s okay to say that 0 points in 9 games is a terrible stretch without watching it happen

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Our philosophy is clearly draft and sign guys with big long names. They are either trying to force RJ into retirement or convince him to stay on with the opportunities for creativity, depending on how you want to look at it. 

I should send them my contact info! I own goalie equipment too......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, PP Slapper said:

The Sabres have traditionally been very active on UFA day.  The likes of Okposo, Moulson, Leino, Erhoff, Eakin, Irwin, a whose who of NHL All-Stars. 

They are Allstars compared to the current crop

And a bunch of those were guys that fans here were going on before hand how the Sabres needed to sign those guys and how they would be great signings.......

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.