Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Aaron Huglen is going to make a big time climb up the Sabres prospect rankings, isn’t he?

Botterill took a low risk high reward taking him in the 4th round with a back injury. They still list him as 6'0" and 168 lbs but he appears heavier than that. Had a nice game Sunday.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I guess Jbot knew something about drafting after all.

To be fair, Botteril, Adams, Murray, most other GMs probably have very little impact on the 3-7th picks. Usually that's your head of Amateur scouting with minor GM inputs. Yes, Botteril has some good drafts and that's good. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

To be fair, Botteril, Adams, Murray, most other GMs probably have very little impact on the 3-7th picks. Usually that's your head of Amateur scouting with minor GM inputs. Yes, Botteril has some good drafts and that's good. 

Some general managers don’t even impact the first two rounds. Every organization is set up different. Some let the scouting director run the whole show. The GM might set guide lines but rarely know specific prospects, especially, like you stated, after round 2.

Edited by tom webster

• 2 weeks later...

With Fitz, Samuelsson, Cozens, Krebs, and Bryson basically graduated from our prospect pipeline, who is left?

When I looked at my notes I found 6 “pods” or small groups.  

Pod 1 is 5 future stars - Quinn, Power, Levi, JJP and Portillo.  All have had dominate seasons with the 3 skaters all likely to join the Sabres next fall.  I have Quinn over Power because of the unprecedented season he is having in Roch. They are players 1-5 on my list

Pod 2 is the near ready D in Laaksonen (7th) and Johnson (6th).  Neither is probably ready for immediate NHL duty, but they should be the top pair in Roch next fall and early callups when injuries occur. Laaksonen continues to generate big time O and his in zone D is improving.

Pod 3 is the breakout CHL players - Bloom (9th), Nadaeu (10th) and Kozak (11th). All had 30+ goals this season.  

Pod 4 is Rosen and the Russians.  I have Rosen (8th) higher then the rest despite his struggles this season because the talent is there.  All three Russians excelled at different points this year, but I discounted them because of the war in the Ukraine which has clouded their availability to come to NA. Kisakov (12th) has 26g in the MHL, Novikov (13th) played 32 KHL games as a 18 year old D, and Poltapov (14th) hit his stride with 10 pts in 10 MHL playoff games.

Pod 5 is 3 surprising breakouts.  Costantini (15th) blossomed at UND and is still 19.  Huglen (16th) became a go to player at Minn and Cederqvist (17th) picked up 32 pts in 49 SHL games.

Pod 6 is 3 very good AHL players who can contribute in the NHL in Murray (18th), Biro (19th) and Weissbach (20th).  All 3 will be 24 next season, but given the Sabres young forward depth, I doubt any will break into the lineup permanently.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Pod 4 is Rosen and the Russians.  I have Rosen (8th) higher then the rest despite his struggles this season because the talent is there.  All three Russians excelled at different points this year, but I discounted them because of the war in the Ukraine which has clouded their availability to come to NA. Kisakov (12th) has 26g in the MHL, Novikov (13th) played 32 KHL games as a 18 year old D, and Poltapov (14th) hit his stride with 10 pts in 10 MHL playoff games.

I watched several regular season KHL games this year (ESPN+ had streaming rights to some of the games) and Novikov was very impressive as a stay-at-home defenseman (playing 3rd or 4th pairing--KHL rolls 4 pairs of defensemen for those who are confused at this) and I'm glad you have him listed here as high as you do. He knows how to use his size to his advantage and does a very good job disrupting the play with his stickwork. If the current political climate doesn't prevent it, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Buffalo trying to bring him into Rochester at the end of next season.

Frankly, I'd have him above Kisakov as well, but assessing the value of stay-at-home D-men is incredibly difficult. Especially when he is only playing 5-10 shifts a game.

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I watched several regular season KHL games this year (ESPN+ had streaming rights to some of the games) and Novikov was very impressive as a stay-at-home defenseman (playing 3rd or 4th pairing--KHL rolls 4 pairs of defensemen for those who are confused at this) and I'm glad you have him listed here as high as you do. He knows how to use his size to his advantage and does a very good job disrupting the play with his stickwork. If the current political climate doesn't prevent it, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Buffalo trying to bring him into Rochester at the end of next season.

Frankly, I'd have him above Kisakov as well, but assessing the value of stay-at-home D-men is incredibly difficult. Especially when he is only playing 5-10 shifts a game.

He looked good in the games I saw him in.

I have no idea how the league works though and would get frustrated that he wasn't on the ice alot.

Thanks for that insight. 

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond
20 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

With Fitz, Samuelsson, Cozens, Krebs, and Bryson basically graduated from our prospect pipeline, who is left?

When I looked at my notes I found 6 “pods” or small groups.  

Pod 1 is 5 future stars - Quinn, Power, Levi, JJP and Portillo.  All have had dominate seasons with the 3 skaters all likely to join the Sabres next fall.  I have Quinn over Power because of the unprecedented season he is having in Roch. They are players 1-5 on my list

EDIT Pod 2 is the near ready D and  G in UPL (7th), Laaksonen (8th) and Johnson (6th).  Neither D is probably ready for immediate NHL duty, but they should be the top pair in Roch next fall and early callups when injuries occur. Laaksonen continues to generate big time O and his in zone D is improving. UPL’s AHL numbers has me worried, but KA remains bullish on the kid despite his below average play in Rochester.  

Pod 3 is the breakout CHL players - Bloom (10th), Nadaeu (11th) and Kozak (12th). All had 30+ goals this season.  

Pod 4 is Rosen and the Russians.  I have Rosen (9th) higher then the rest despite his struggles this season because the talent is there.  All three Russians excelled at different points this year, but I discounted them because of the war in the Ukraine which has clouded their availability to come to NA. Kisakov (13th) has 26g in the MHL, Novikov (14th) played 32 KHL games as a 18 year old D, and Poltapov (15th) hit his stride with 10 pts in 10 MHL playoff games.

Pod 5 is 3 surprising breakouts.  Costantini (16th) blossomed at UND and is still 19.  Huglen (17th) became a go to player at Minn and Cederqvist (18th) picked up 32 pts in 49 SHL games.

Pod 6 is 3 very good AHL players who can contribute in the NHL in Murray (19th), Biro (20th) and Weissbach (21st).  All 3 will be 24 next season, but given the Sabres young forward depth, I doubt any will break into the lineup permanently.

Revised List:  I forgot UPL. 

I’d have ranked JJP higher.  His output as a 19 year old in the AHL compares very favorable to the CHL forwards ahead of him in the rankings, especially when he has 20 year old Rossi who hasn’t been as productive as JJP in the A ahead of these same players. 

Still nice to see 3 Sabres in his top 31. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’d have ranked JJP higher.  His output as a 19 year old in the AHL compares very favorable to the CHL forwards ahead of him in the rankings, especially when he has 20 year old Rossi who hasn’t been as productive as JJP in the A ahead of these same players. 

Four. Devon Levi is also in there at 28.

(Quinn 8 and Power 1)

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s actually 4 (Devon Levi at 28)

5 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Quinn only at #8 is pretty ridiculous. Guy is scoring goals at a historic clip in the AHL for his age level and was only slowed down by mono and is now seemingly back to scoring at least a goal per game.

If he could stay healthy he'd be higher.

The best ability is availability.

Edited by pi2000

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.