Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sabrespace feels worried about his numbers, his size and where he played this year.

Sabrespace also knows he was a long-term project given his physical immaturity and is willing to give the current regime the benefit of the doubt this early.

The best news is that his draft pick was completely out of left field so even if he busts we aren’t completely screwed like we were with Nylander. Nonetheless I still have hope for Rosen.

On 4/14/2022 at 1:39 PM, Flashsabre said:

That year had a lot going on. The draft was in Buffalo. Murray wanted a young skilled winger for Eichel. The Pegulas and Chychruns were neighbors in Florida. Alot of fans were on the Sergachev bandwagon. I know they interviewed MacAvoy a lot, maybe 3 times.

Hindsight is 20/20. The organization is in a lot better spot now with the front office, scouting, development, etc.

I’ll never understand that pick the more I read about it. Both BPA and Position said pick a Dman. The Pegulas, known for their input on the hockey team, had direct contact with 1 of the Dmen. Forton obviously loved McAvoy and Sergachev was also available, but was a dreaded Russian. What in God’s name possessed Murray to think a small dynamic winger(in theory) was the best option?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

The best news is that his draft pick was completely out of left field so even if he busts we aren’t completely screwed like we were with Nylander. Nonetheless I still have hope for Rosen.

I’ll never understand that pick the more I read about it. Both BPA and Position said pick a Dman. The Pegulas, known for their input on the hockey team, had direct contact with 1 of the Dmen. Forton obviously loved McAvoy and Sergachev was also available, but was a dreaded Russian. What in God’s name possessed Murray to think a small dynamic winger(in theory) was the best option?

Small quibble.  Alex Nylander is not small.  6’1” 190.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:04 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think these are two different groups.  Mitts and VO have passed their evaluations with their play since the calendar turned to March and they got healthy. Bryson has also passed and I can see him being re-signed to a 3 year extension.  Asplund, Fitz and UPL are a different story.  Quinn and JJP are pushing Asplund down the lineup and maybe out.  Fitz is Rory Fitzpatrick 2.0 and UPL has next year to prove he belongs.  Otherwise, he will be replaced.

Don't know that Asplund is getting pushed out.  On the radio pregame before the game in Filly Granato was speaking pretty highly of Asplund's game.

Not seeing it to that same level personally, but pretty sure Granato's opinion carries a smidgen more weight.  😉

Edited by Taro T

On 4/13/2022 at 10:05 PM, Flashsabre said:

This is an excellent listen. It is about an hour long but he talks about Power, Rosen, talks about wanting to draft MacAvoy. A lot of insight about scouting.

He said he will come on in the summer to talk about the upcoming draft.

Great listen.  Thank you very much for posting this.

The other thing that was interesting was when he was asked about the discussions or attachments when trading away draft picks and how he talked about (without mentioning it directly) how painful it was trading away the picks for Lehner & O'Reilly.

When that's combined w/ his lamenting not taking MacAvoy, really starting to expect he wouldn't give high marks to Murray's ability to run a hockey department / evaluate players.  😄

• Like (+1) 1

Don speaks highly of everyone. You’ve got parse through the attitude stuff and the talent stuff and focus in on what he says about a player’s actual play.

That said, I’m still not clear why a 30-point scorer with the best defensive numbers on the team in his first full NHL season would be in danger of being pushed out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Don speaks highly of everyone. You’ve got parse through the attitude stuff and the talent stuff and focus in on what he says about a player’s actual play.

That said, I’m still not clear why a 30-point scorer with the best defensive numbers on the team in his first full NHL season would be in danger of being pushed out.

True.  But he was picking out several aspects of his game that seemed to be more than just his normal we're even going to pick out something good about Miller's game level of praise.  Initially, it sounded like he was talking about the other Rasmus until some specifics were mentioned.

56 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't know that Asplund is getting pushed out.  On the radio pregame before the game in Filly Granato was speaking pretty highly of Asplund's game.

Not seeing it to that same level personally, but pretty sure Granato's opinion carries a smidgen more weight.  😉

I’m not taking a shot at Asplund but realize that with Tuch, Skinner, VO, Krebs, Quinn, JJP, KO and Girgensons returning to the roster, Asplund is the 9th winger unless he moves back to center.  That’s possible but I think KA maybe looking for a move veteran presence between Z and KO.  

The truth is I like Asplund and particularly like him when he plays with Mitts.  There is nothing wrong with being the 9th winger next season.  Between injuries and resting days, he’ll likely suit up 70 times. Also with KO and Z on the last year of their deals he is in the catbird seat for one of the 2 way slots in 23/24.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Oh by the way, I know this is sacrilege but I’d trade Girgensons this off-season.  I give his job to Asplund, waive Bjork and re-sign Vinnie.  I then spend money to bring in a good two way center.

I think Girgs is worth keeping around for the last season of his contract. What can you realistically expect as far as a return goes? He's a role player and a good one at that.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

I think Girgs is worth keeping around for the last season of his contract. What can you realistically expect as far as a return goes? He's a role player and a good one at that.

I see no reason to trade Girgensons and have zero desire to do so.

He is actually pretty productive for a 4th line guy. He is an above average skater. You have relied on him to be one of your better penalty killers for years.  He is one of your captains, and by all indications wants to be here and his teammates look up to him as a leader.  Oh, and its not like he is hanging onto his career by a thread, he is only 28 years old and is a 15 goal-per-82 game guy the last 2 seasons.

If Buffalo didn't have Girgensons, he is a guy that I would WANT them to go and get for my 4th line and penalty killing.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I see no reason to trade Girgensons and have zero desire to do s.

He is actually pretty productive for a 4th line guy. He is an above average skater. You have relied on him to be one of your better penalty killers for years.  He is one of your captains, and by all indications wants to be here and his teammates look up to him as a leader.  Oh, and its not like he is hanging onto his career by a thread, he is only 28 years old and is a 15 goal-per-82 game guy the last 2 seasons.

If Buffalo didn't have Girgensons, he is a guy that I would WANT them to go and get for my 4th line and penalty killing.

Yep.  When healthy, he's in the top 12.  Not just on this team but many others. 

Being ridiculously below the cap floor lets Buffalo have the luxury of keeping Girgensons even though he'll likely only play 60 or so games.  Have a real bottom 6 NHLer as the 13th F, so he can step in when Z is hurt.  

• Like (+1) 3

Back to talking about prospects. 
Anyone else watching Poltapov in the MHL playoffs ?

you can catch the games on YouTube.  Pretty quality too

Better than a lot of CHL feeds and some AHL

He looks like a bull out there, protects the puck extremely well and has been able to put up decent numbers in the playoffs.  18pts in 17 games.  (5th in playoff scoring leaders)

would love the see the Sabres get him out of Russia this summer  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Oh by the way, I know this is sacrilege but I’d trade Girgensons this off-season.  I give his job to Asplund, waive Bjork and re-sign Vinnie.  I’d then spend money to bring in a good two way center.

Your opinion is far from being sacrilegious but why would you want to trade Gergs? There is a role for him on this team and almost every team. He's a fourth line player whose style of play can be described as hard game, and he is also a good PK player. Considering what our cap situation is there is no current player whose contract can be considered onerous. The Sabres are starting to lose their deserved reputation as being a soft and mentally weak team. Based on their current play that description of them doesn't come close to applying to them.

This player is a respected home grown veteran in a room full of kids. He's the type of player and person you want the youngsters to emulate. He's been here for the turbulent times and now this stalwart player/person is contributing to a team that is moving toward a positive situation. Don't be blinded by the lack of offensive stats. His value to this team goes beyond the numbers. He contributes in a meaningful way both on and off the ice. He not only should stay but he is a player you want to stay. If he weren't on this team the organization would seek out a player like him to add to the roster. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I see no reason to trade Girgensons and have zero desire to do so.

IMHO - chemistry and culture can be a fragile thing when a team is trying to find and build it (vs. having it already well-entrenched).  Z brings an element of hard work and tenacity which is an attribute this young team needs to adopt as second nature.  Z is relatively inexpensive and brings leadership to help guide this team.  I like him on the 4th line and hope he can stick around.

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Back to talking about prospects. 
Anyone else watching Poltapov in the MHL playoffs ?

you can catch the games on YouTube.  Pretty quality too

Better than a lot of CHL feeds and some AHL

He looks like a bull out there, protects the puck extremely well and has been able to put up decent numbers in the playoffs.  18pts in 17 games.  (5th in playoff scoring leaders)

would love the see the Sabres get him out of Russia this summer  

Nice! Do u have a link?

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Your opinion is far from being sacrilegious but why would you want to trade Gergs? There is a role for him on this team and almost every team. He's a fourth line player whose style of play can be described as hard game, and he is also a good PK player. Considering what our cap situation is there is no current player whose contract can be considered onerous. The Sabres are starting to lose their deserved reputation as being a soft and mentally weak team. Based on their current play that description of them doesn't come close to applying to them.

This player is a respected home grown veteran in a room full of kids. He's the type of player and person you want the youngsters to emulate. He's been here for the turbulent times and now this stalwart player/person is contributing to a team that is moving toward a positive situation. Don't be blinded by the lack of offensive stats. His value to this team goes beyond the numbers. He contributes in a meaningful way both on and off the ice. He not only should stay but he is a player you want to stay. If he weren't on this team the organization would seek out a player like him to add to the roster. 

Why because I think Asplund is the better player and assuming KA acquires a legit center for KO's line, I'd rather have Asplund at LW then Girgensons.  His D metrics are as good if not better then Girgensons and he is 3 times as good at creating for others while still scoring nearly as many goals.  

While I've discussed Asplund being the odd man out once JJP and Quinn make the team, the more I think about it, the player who should be relegated to the bench is Girgensons. 

Like I wrote earlier my plan for the 2 way line would be to find a center for KO and Asplund, I'd trade Girgensons for whatever I can get, re-sign Hinostroza to be the 13th/utility forward and waive Bjork.  I think this plays into KA's plan by opening a slot for a younger but effective player, and we get something for a player we are unlikely to re-sign after next season anyway.  

The lineup would look something like this

Skinner TNT Tuch

VO Mitts Quinn

Asplund NEW CENTER KO

Krebs Cozens JJP

Hinostroza

For organizational depth you'd still have R2, Murray, Brio and Bjork in Rochester.  

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why because I think Asplund is the better player and assuming KA acquires a legit center for KO's line, I'd rather have Asplund at LW then Girgensons.  His D metrics are as good if not better then Girgensons and he is 3 times as good at creating for others while still scoring nearly as many goals.  

While I've discussed Asplund being the odd man out once JJP and Quinn make the team, the more I think about it, the player who should be relegated to the bench is Girgensons. 

Like I wrote earlier my plan for the 2 way line would be to find a center for KO and Asplund, I'd trade Girgensons for whatever I can get, re-sign Hinostroza to be the 13th/utility forward and waive Bjork.  I think this plays into KA's plan by opening a slot for a younger but effective player, and we get something for a player we are unlikely to re-sign after next season anyway.  

The lineup would look something like this

Skinner TNT Tuch

VO Mitts Quinn

Asplund NEW CENTER KO

Krebs Cozens JJP

Hinostroza

For organizational depth you'd still have R2, Murray, Brio and Bjork in Rochester.  

There is room for both Gergs and Asplund on the roster. What we have learned in spades this season is that team depth is an imperative. The season is a long and grinding marathon. I'm confident that both of them will contribute in their own way to make this a more well-rounded roster. And it should be noted that I am also an Asplund fan and have repeatedly argued on his behalf. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

Nice! Do u have a link?

https://youtube.com/c/МХЛ

the game tomorrow is at 6am live. Replays are available on YouTube.  

His team (Krasnoyarsk) is down 3-1.  Michkov is on the opposition (#2 prospect in 2023)

if you do watch   Keep an eye on Grudinin and Duda - both LHD that could go in the 2nd round  

15 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

https://youtube.com/c/МХЛ

the game tomorrow is at 6am live. Replays are available on YouTube.  

His team (Krasnoyarsk) is down 3-1.  Michkov is on the opposition (#2 prospect in 2023)

if you do watch   Keep an eye on Grudinin and Duda - both LHD that could go in the 2nd round  

Watching highlights of game 4 right now.

You actually gave me the link a while back, I forgot but I found it today. 

Thanks for that. I'll watch for them. 

How do u find full games?

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

Watching highlights of game 4 right now.

You actually gave me the link a while back, I forgot but I found it today. 

Thanks for that. I'll watch for them. 

How do u find full games?

On the MHL YouTube main page. Click to Videos.  You can scroll through and see them there.  

Here is a link to game 1 

first and second period he was really impressive 

44 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

On the MHL YouTube main page. Click to Videos.  You can scroll through and see them there.  

Here is a link to game 1 

first and second period he was really impressive 

Awesome, thanks

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.