Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

Kozak at the T-Birds

Good vision and has the right-place/right-time anticipation that separates the good players (albeit at the WHL level).

Nice shorthanded pressure and he sprang himself for a breakaway except the Seattle D dropped his stick, so Kozak was moving up ice with the puck and a stick. By the time he was able to get the puck separated and get the pass to his fellow PK forward, Seattle's other D had gotten back. Shot saved.

Delivered heavy hit, then knocked off the tall guy when he tried to address it. [@LGR4GM's video upthread] Mature body compared to the competition.

On forecheck, bowled over a D leading to scoring chance. 

Set breakout on PP. Kozak at blue line as puck starts up ice. Pops out to the middle for the long pass. Enters zone and drops to his vacated wing for the goal. Primary assist. 

Was high-sticked and got no call. Moments later, he let his stick get up recklessly. Takes the high-sticking minor with 2-0 third period lead. Bad penalty to take. PK killed it.

But SEA scores 2 goals with goalie pulled (Woohoo, T-Birds!). Kozak on the ice for the game-tying goal but on the far side of the ice from the shot.

The shootout went to 7 shooters. Kozak was not one of them.

Overall, a grinder. He was the best skater on the ice in 1st period. He won his one-on-one battles all night with either a stronger body, or in a few instances better hands and getting the puck neatly safe open ice/good short area pass to start a rush.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He thinks luke hughes has 82 point potential? Or am i looking at this wrong 

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If you want to see a more accurate estimate of Luke’s potential see his brother Quinn’s numbers.  Does anyone actually think Power will put up 70?

They are position adjusted so that you can compare forwards and defensemans’ offensive potential in a similar light. The multiplier is adjusted from league to league, but it’s about 1.3x the points you would expect them to get. It’s so you don’t have a list where the top 30 prospects have 1 defenseman. If you adjust for that, it’s saying Power has the potential to be a ~54 point defenseman.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:41 PM, dudacek said:

Did anyone catch Ray Ferraro’s segment on the Instigators yesterday?

It was one of the most positive, yet well-informed takes on the state of the Sabres I have heard from a national analyst in a long time. (Full disclosure, he’s Donnie’s brother-in-law)

They asked him if he could name three reasons or players coming that should make fans feel optimistic. He named 7 or 8.

Said goalie is the biggest issue and we need to get a veteran bridge because Portillo and Levi have got it coming, and UPL is here too. Said we are going to love Power, and the size and skill with him, Ras and Mule gives us a ridiculous left side. He says Quinn is going to score goals in the NHL, Peterka is an engine, and the top 6 in this draft are difference-makers. Didn’t mention them here, but I’ve also heard him sing the praises of Cozens and Krebs in the past.

He said it won’t all come at once, but it is coming and it may be sooner than we think.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/hosts/the-instigators

(3/4 of the way through the 3/10 segment)

That was a great segment.

I needed that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

From John Vogl’s Interview with Kevyn Adams on the Russian Draftees 

Obviously, you guys could not foresee the world events. But for the first time in forever, you drafted a bunch of Russian players. Is there any word on what is going to happen with any of them?

It really hasn’t changed anything in terms of how we move forward. These were all players (whose timelines we knew) could be out a little bit. Yeah, we couldn’t have predicted this, but I still don’t think for us really anything’s changed. There hasn’t been information and we haven’t been told anything, but we still believe these are highly talented players who are going to play for us eventually and be really good NHL players — or at least have a chance to be good NHL players.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/12/2022 at 8:47 PM, Flashsabre said:

Minnesota play Penn State to see who faces Michigan next Saturday.

Bring me a ‘Michigan-Minnesota Final!

Is there a way to watch these games? Where do we find them?

Anyone know?

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’m pretty certain you can watch it on the ESPN app. It’s just a couple dollars for a month.

Cool. I already have ESPN+. Just haven't been able to find the NCAA games that matter to the Sabres. I admit to not really researching it and wishing someone on here would spell it out for me what to watch.😂

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Josh Bloom with 1A and +2 in a loss to the London Knights. Played wing 0/1 on draws.

Olivier Nadeau is shut out and goes -1 vs Sherbrooke. He is a RW but took 16 draws, winning 12.

Do you watch Bloom play?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.