Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

9 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I’m just surprised he was drafted. 14 points in 54 games was his last OHL action, pre draft.

He’s trending in the right direction. At a minimum he would help the Amerks in a year or two.

This is the work scouts we’re doing during the shutdown.  Trying to find out who might have had physical development or skill improvement in a year where he didn’t play organized hockey.

Scouts did a good job.....kid grew 2 inches and put on 20 pounds of muscled during the covid year so clearly was hitting the gym. I'm just impressed that he is a point a game on a 10th place team with next to no help. Up against the other team's top pairing defense every night and still producing. Put him on a London, SSM or Windsor and I bet his point total dramatically rises. Only 18 so long way to go but as mentioned, trending well

• Like (+1) 2

Tyson Kozak could be looked at a different way as well. 

Dylan Cozens did this in his draft year so they are a year apart there but sometimes players do emerge late. Cozens in the whl had 34g, 50a, in 68 games and Tyson Kozak is on pace for 34g, 47a in 68 games. 84 versus 81 total points in the same league. 

But Cozens had 4 points more in *17* less games when comparing the proper season for season. 

Ie Cozens pace over 68 games was 113 points, when using the proper comparison. Cozens pace was 40% better, which is huge 

Edited by Thorny

I wonder what the Russian sanctions are going to do to the access and development of Russian players.  Will Putin let them leave?  Will the NHL bar teams from signing Russian players?  Will the sanctions bankrupt the KHL and/or the development leagues?  Are we going to go back to the days of Alex Mogilny cloak and dagger to get players out?  How will this affect the Russian prospect in the draft next summer?

With 3 key prospects in Russia from his last draft, these are questions KA and his team have to wrestle with right now.  

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wonder what the Russian sanctions are going to do to the access and development of Russian players.  Will Putin let them leave?  Will the NHL bar teams from signing Russian players?  Will the sanctions bankrupt the KHL and/or the development leagues?  Are we going to go back to the days of Alex Mogilny cloak and dagger to get players out?  How will this affect the Russian prospect in the draft next summer?

With 3 key prospects in Russia from his last draft, these are questions KA and his team have to wrestle with right now.  

Will Putin still be in charge?

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Will Putin still be in charge?

All very important questions. Will Russian players be willing to leave (because of the blame of the US for their collapsed currency) or will they be doing everything in their power to escape (for the same reason)? Will they have chances to leave if Russian international squads are banned from competing elsewhere? We may need a Russian prospects thread for the coming months/years.

30 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

All very important questions. Will Russian players be willing to leave (because of the blame of the US for their collapsed currency) or will they be doing everything in their power to escape (for the same reason)? Will they have chances to leave if Russian international squads are banned from competing elsewhere? We may need a Russian prospects thread for the coming months/years.

Probably need the bolded.

We should make bets on who will arrive first?

Both in the US and in the League. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

That gamble on all the Russians last year might be giving KA some indigestion right about now.

True. It's also possible that all 3 (Sardarian is already in USHL) fly the coop ASAP in the hopes of finding real money in another league that isn't paying in rubles (or missing paychecks altogether).

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

True. It's also possible that all 3 (Sardarian is already in USHL) fly the coop ASAP in the hopes of finding real money in another league that isn't paying in rubles (or missing paychecks altogether).

Well, seeing as they can’t readily get on a plane and fly out now, leaving the coop might be a bit challenging.

And I am sure threats to family members will be back in style.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Well, seeing as they can’t readily get on a plane and fly out now, leaving the coop might be a bit challenging.

And I am sure threats to family members will be back in style.

Absolutely. But if I'm the right kind of official I might help a player get out if I can skim some $US or €Euros coming back into my own pocket that are intended for the player's family.

15 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

3 key prospects? 

I'd say one at best. 

8 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Absolutely. But if I'm the right kind of official I might help a player get out if I can skim some $US or €Euros coming back into my own pocket that are intended for the player's family.

They won’t even let the plane into EU airspace right now.  They’re stranded.

Edited by Weave

On 3/3/2022 at 11:15 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your defensively responsible yearning to skate free. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Didn’t the ChL ban Russians?

They are temporarily excluding Russian and Belarusian players from the upcoming CHL import draft.  It could be a one year only thing.  Any players who are already drafted by CHL teams are still able to play, as far as I know.

Personally, I don’t think it accomplishes anything.

With that said, any NHL drafted prospect could still come over and play in the USHL or NCAA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.