2021 Free Agent Frenzy! July 28

steveoath

9 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Stop the bus!!

Doesn't the frenzy start at 3:00 PM EDT??????

Sorry it opens at noon tomorrow, eastern time. 

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

DAMN!!

I'm early for the first time in my whole life.

So, what are all these posts about signings?

RFA?

UFA speculation?

RFAs and UFAs that are staying on their old team

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

My understanding was that teams couldn't move up in the lottery more than twice in a 5 year period.  But a team that finishes 32nd or 31st can "win" their slot staying in the same spot and it won't count as a win against them.

This is 100% correct. Only moves up to first count. "Natural" firsts don't. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, steveoath said:

This is 100% correct. Only moves up to first count. "Natural" firsts don't. 

I'm glad we are getting deeply into this set of rules. As a Sabres fan it's very important to understand the mechanics of the draft lottery. That's our playoffs. 

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Stan Bowman never stops working on improving his club. I wish the Sabres had a GM like that. 

He isn't exactly well-liked by many Blackhawks fans.

He's aggressive, but has a mediocre track record past 2015. The fact he traded 2 1sts, a 2nd and their top D prospect for a Seth Jones coming off what was his worst year and then signing him to a 9.5mil cap hit is nigh bonkers. That and he has one of the oddest obsessions with reacquiring players who've left Chicago.

For example: Versteeg, Oduya, Sharp, Ladd, Saad, and Hinastroza. That's literally off the top of my head.

What you want is Steve Yzerman, patient yet strategically aggressive. Bowman is on the aggressive side; Vegas however is by far the most aggressive franchise. They treat every season like its their last; while entertaining to watch, isn't exactly conducive to forming a Cup winner. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

Example of someone the Sabres should be in on. At the right price.

I agree...this kid is my cousin's husband's son! Played for Team Canada and did real well. Good size and speed. I'd love to see the Sabres give him a contract. Heck then I'd have a reason to actually try an watch them next year!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, thewookie1 said:

He isn't exactly well-liked by many Blackhawks fans.

He's aggressive, but has a mediocre track record past 2015. The fact he traded 2 1sts, a 2nd and their top D prospect for a Seth Jones coming off what was his worst year and then signing him to a 9.5mil cap hit is nigh bonkers. That and he has one of the oddest obsessions with reacquiring players who've left Chicago.

For example: Versteeg, Oduya, Sharp, Ladd, Saad, and Hinastroza. That's literally off the top of my head.

What you want is Steve Yzerman, patient yet strategically aggressive. Bowman is on the aggressive side; Vegas however is by far the most aggressive franchise. They treat every season like its their last; while entertaining to watch, isn't exactly conducive to forming a Cup winner. 

He swings and misses but atleast he's swinging. His transactions don't always work but he pivots.

I'm not saying he's the best GM, just one of the most active even when there doesn't seem to be a way he is making moves. 

Agree on Yzerman. Great player and even better GM probably. 

2 minutes ago, Norcal said:

He swings and misses but atleast he's swinging. His transactions don't always work but he pivots.

I'm not saying he's the best GM, just one of the most active even when there doesn't seem to be a way he is making moves. 

Agree on Yzerman. Great player and even better GM probably. 

Are you referring to Adams last year or Bowman?

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What's the cap hit if he retires?  He signed the contract with Vegas.

And is there a chance that he can't retire because he has a contract and is not hurt or on LTIR.  Maybe the contract becomes void (like we did with Berglund).  

I'm not sure.

Edited by Digger

Nick Foligno rumoured to be possibly going to Minnesota. I told you the idea of playing with his brother would appeal to him. Putting Marcus into part of an Eichel deal with Minnesota would have been brilliant. 

and yes I know Nick ain't what he used to be but those two as leaders for these kids.........come on, that would show them the way! 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Nick Foligno rumoured to be possibly going to Minnesota. I told you the idea of playing with his brother would appeal to him. Putting Marcus into part of an Eichel deal with Minnesota would have been brilliant. 

and yes I know Nick ain't what he used to be but those two as leaders for these kids.........come on, that would show them the way! 

Brothers appear to be the theme of the offseason.

Cale and Haydn Fleury in Seattle

Seth and Caleb Jones in Chicago

Cale and Taylor Makar in Colorado

Kirby and Colton Dach in Chicago

There’s one other I’m missing.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Brothers appear to be the theme of the offseason.

Cale and Haydn Fleury in Seattle

Seth and Caleb Jones in Chicago

Cale and Taylor Makar in Colorado

Kirby and Colton Dach in Chicago

There’s one other I’m missing.

Hughes brothers in NJ?

Staal brothers without a job?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Give me Rossi, Kahkonen, and the Foligno boys. I’d be over the moon. They can keep Boldy and their 2022 1st.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Yeah the rule starting next year, I think it's you can't have more than 2 number one overall picks in a draft over a 5 year span. See no more Edmonton/Buffalo "tanking". 

3 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

So we got Dahlin then Power so we can't get 1st overall next year so we 're tanking for what?

That’s not how the system is going to work.  The NHL has done a really bad job of clearly explaining to everyone what the new rules are going to be.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

My understanding was that teams couldn't move up in the lottery more than twice in a 5 year period.  But a team that finishes 32nd or 31st can "win" their slot staying in the same spot and it won't count as a win against them.  If they stay where they are because teams with the 12th-16th picks win it definitely won't be held against them; and expect their own winning won't count against them, but not 100% positive about that.

No idea how they plan to implement it.  Best guess is a team that can't win the lottery will still be in it but if they do win the lottery there will be another number combination selected and they'll keep redrafting until they have 2 eligible teams get the 1st pick & the 2nd pick.

The other 2 changes to the system are teams can only move up a max of 10 slots and only picks 1 and 2 are up for grabs.

I believe you are correct about how the new system will work.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.