2021 Free Agent Frenzy! July 28

steveoath

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Other than injuries, I don’t understand why some fans don’t.

Again: with Linus in net over the past two years the Sabres - the god-awful, no-talent, Krueger-coached Sabres - won at a 90-point pace.

Also, he is the best shootout goalie in the NHL.

Linus has become the new Miller. 

Sabres fans never appreciated how good he was, I think mostly because fans never realized at the time how special Dom was until he was gone. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Johnson has a limited ntc so Buffalo might not have been an option

Also I was mistaken and this actually helps Chicago clear a little bit of cap space.

That and the fact they did not have a player that’s a  LTIR candidate 

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That and the fact they did not have a player that’s a  LTIR candidate 

Unless I’m missing something They don’t need an LTIR player, it just works for them in that case.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Same thing could be said for Jones. Has he lost his early promise totally or does he just need a change of scenery? 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Jones and Holtby are ***** awful. Irredeemably so.

Andersen has something left IMO, but he’s no Linus.

Unfortunately, these might be the goalies we are left to choose from.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Unless I’m missing something They don’t need an LTIR player, it just works for them in that case.

They don’t, but they have the ability to go almost seven million over the cap for the next three seasons and Brisebois as you know is a master at that 

29 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They don’t, but they have the ability to go almost seven million over the cap for the next three seasons and Brisebois as you know is a master at that 

For sure but I'm a little surprised other teams (Seattle?) weren't willing to take on the contract and the 2nd rounder without forcing Tampa to pay millions to a player who will never pay even if his cap hit will never end up on their cap.

27 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Are teams signing players ahead of free agency somehow, or am I missing something?

Most of these are re-signings. Some are either tampering or examples of teams allowing the player to talk to other teams. The NHL probably doesn't care because even though they got rid of that "legal tampering" window it was well-liked by teams, agents and players so nobody will complain.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

That's the one big piece that was in the way of some Eichel teams, methinks. Denault to some extent now that there's reports he's not going to Vegas or may at least not be committed there yet.

• Like (+1) 1

Also: that makes the Skinner contract look SOOOOO bad (it looks bad on its own anyways). We paid $2M more a year over the same term AND he got a full NMC through the entire deal whereas Landeskog gets a NMC for four years and a partial NTC for the other four.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, nfreeman said:

So that’s Colorado and Vegas out of the bidding for Eichel.  

Vegas reported deal with Denault is allegedly not done so we'll see. I do think there's a chance (a small one) that they'd get involved with Eichel even with that signing but who knows.

I like New Jersey being the front-runner here because no Eichel teams would be spending big on either of the top two free agents. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.