Around the NHL: 2020-2021

WildCard

On 7/17/2021 at 11:47 AM, thewookie1 said:

8x8.45mil is being reported.

Would you give Dahlin that?

If you believe in him. Would have been nice to have Reinhart on a LT deal. If you avoid locking Dahlin up and it proves to be the right choice because he's underserving of a significant deal, we are in trouble on the back end anyways. That's not to say you have to lock him up long term right now, but to me it would be a positive thing to see. It would indicate belief in the player and it would leave me hopeful we'd be in line for a reasonable bargain down the line. Of course Dahlin would come in under 8.45, though, I'd say. 

They can bridge Dahlin, but they certainly need to get their act together on ice in the W column if they do so. If not, he'll just be the next Reinhart we have "no choice but to move" because he has the contract leverage and little interest in re-upping with a bad team. 

On 7/17/2021 at 1:11 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Dahlin hasn't earned anything close to that. Heiskenan showed his value in that long playoff run in the bubble. It's a big contract, but not way out there for where he's at and his value to them. 

Heiskanen has taken a step back since 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

As usual Buffalo stuck with their hand in the jar.  God we're ***** hopeless.

The Sabres don't need to capitalize on opportunities to grab win-now players from teams in a bind because the Sabres aren't interested in win-now players. Adams has said reportedly, repeatedly that he's only interested in futures in the trades he's making. I'm not sure how much more of a tip-off "blinding light from the youth" could have been - he doesn't want to mess with that. 

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If you believe in him. Would have been nice to have Reinhart on a LT deal. If you avoid locking Dahlin up and it proves to be the right choice because he's underserving of a significant deal, we are in trouble on the back end anyways. That's not to say you have to lock him up long term right now, but to me it would be a positive thing to see. It would indicate belief in the player and it would leave me hopeful we'd be in line for a reasonable bargain down the line. Of course Dahlin would come in under 8.45, though, I'd say. 

They can bridge Dahlin, but they certainly need to get their act together on ice in the W column if they do so. If not, he'll just be the next Reinhart we have "no choice but to move" because he has the contract leverage and little interest in re-upping with a bad team. 

Anyway ... no 's'

😉

You are very welcome @inkman ...

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Anyway ... no 's'

😉

You are very welcome @inkman ...

No confusion, my friend.  You use 'anyways' often, but it is not correct ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=anyway+vs+anyways&oq=any&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j35i39j0i67l3j46i433j0i131i433j46i67j0.3537j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

38 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Oh so THAT’S how Montreal is playing this, got it.

Yep.  All the old expensive guys that they are sunk without just mysteriously have major, career threatening injuries that they played through right about the time protected lists come out.

Seems a bit like Rodney Dangerfield's character in Caddy Shack.  "Oh!  My arm!  It's broken!"

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Don't you think we've done enough pre-rewarding with big contracts? What about Dahlin's game has convinced you that he deserves this kind of money and is a definite can't miss? imo if there was ever a candidate for a bridge deal he is it. 

I wanted to draft him, I will admit that, and he has talent, but so far I am disappointed with what I expected. Fortunately, it's still early, but I'm having doubts. 

48 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yep.  All the old expensive guys that they are sunk without just mysteriously have major, career threatening injuries that they played through right about the time protected lists come out.

Seems a bit like Rodney Dangerfield's character in Caddy Shack.  "Oh!  My arm!  It's broken!"

It’s funny because all we heard from Montreal fans was that Tampa was over the cap and cheated.

36 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It’s funny because all we heard from Montreal fans was that Tampa was over the cap and cheated.

True.  But Tampa had wiggle room in that they didn't need to be at 100%; they just needed to be good enough to make the playoffs.

Moe-ray-all has about a gnat-sized amount of wiggle room.  Especially if Seattle calls their bluff on Price, this could really bite them in the butt.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

True.  But Tampa had wiggle room in that they didn't need to be at 100%; they just needed to be good enough to make the playoffs.

Moe-ray-all has about a gnat-sized amount of wiggle room.  Especially if Seattle calls their bluff on Price, this could really bite them in the butt.

I think Montreal knows their window is closed and was never actually open so they wouldn’t mind ridding themselves of Price’s contract to free that money up.

I wish they had more appealing pieces so we could hear about Jack becoming the American savior to Canadien hockey.

• Like (+1) 1

Canada really needs to pull it together.  Geez.

Americans aren't safe.

Americans aren't vaccinated.

Americans are vaccinated but we aren't.

We don't have enough vaccines because Americans.

We have vaccines now.

We might be vaccinated but not enough Americans are vaccinated.

Whiskey tango foxtrot. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Canada really needs to pull it together.  Geez.

Americans aren't safe.

Americans aren't vaccinated.

We don't have enough vaccines because Americans.

We have vaccines now.

We might be vaccinated but not enough Americans are vaccinated.

Whiskey tango foxtrot. 

What does this even mean?

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What does this even mean?

1.  It is a reply to a few posts above that I didn't bother quoting.

2. It reflects Canada's attitude towards America over the last eighteen months.  Or, at least, my perception of it.

We miss you and we would like to think that you miss us, as well.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

1.  It is a reply to a few posts above that I didn't bother quoting.

2. It reflects Canada's attitude towards America over the last eighteen months.  Or, at least, my perception of it.

We miss you and we would like to think that you miss us, as well.

Your collective attitude about COVID scares me and a majority of Canadians.

Edited by dudacek
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Your collective attitude about COVID scares me and a majority of Canadians.

Yeah, I don't blame you.  But the Canadian failure to manufacture/obtain vaccines (this was a thing a few months ago) isn't our fault and yet we were blamed.

I have to turn the eyelids to the down position now.  Love ya bud.

Edited by Eleven

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

But the Canadian failure to manufacture/obtain vaccines (this was a thing a few months ago) isn't our fault.

Can’t recall much of a media backlash up here that is was, and I’ve never heard a real person in public or private conversation suggest it was.

As a Canadian (sometimes proud, other times just kinda in the middle) I do think our whole situation is with COVID 19 is entirely different then that of the US. Here (Canada) we are blessed and lucky to have an amazing health-care system that is basically free and there for us top use whenever and however we please. I suffered a nasty massive heart attack back in 2010 (complete 100% blockage which they like to call the widow-maker). Our healthcare system was and continues to be so efficient and looks after me anytime I need anything.

Conversely, many Americans cannot afford the health care they really need but their government does not really care as they do not pay for their healthcare as Canada's does, Here raising cases means many more in hospitals and that costs our government tons so in some senses it is cheaper to lockdown and lose that revenue then it is to open up and have to  contend with massive heathcare costs. I read somewhere that they figure many many US citizens died of COVID at home as they simply could not afford to go to the hospital.

We do however have a Premier here in Ontario that is trying to look good and open up when it may be very dangerous and silly to do so at this time. This whole bloody COVID thing is such that no matter what any government does they look stupid or wrong. 

Anyways back to the Sabres do you all not think Seattle would be better off with Borgen then Miller? Of course if Seattle takes Will then tries to send him to their AHL team he would have to clear waivers I believe and we could claim him back as we'd get first dibs (I also believe).  

5 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

As a Canadian (sometimes proud, other times just kinda in the middle) I do think our whole situation is with COVID 19 is entirely different then that of the US. Here (Canada) we are blessed and lucky to have an amazing health-care system that is basically free and there for us top use whenever and however we please. I suffered a nasty massive heart attack back in 2010 (complete 100% blockage which they like to call the widow-maker). Our healthcare system was and continues to be so efficient and looks after me anytime I need anything.

Conversely, many Americans cannot afford the health care they really need but their government does not really care as they do not pay for their healthcare as Canada's does, Here raising cases means many more in hospitals and that costs our government tons so in some senses it is cheaper to lockdown and lose that revenue then it is to open up and have to  contend with massive heathcare costs. I read somewhere that they figure many many US citizens died of COVID at home as they simply could not afford to go to the hospital.

We do however have a Premier here in Ontario that is trying to look good and open up when it may be very dangerous and silly to do so at this time. This whole bloody COVID thing is such that no matter what any government does they look stupid or wrong. 

Anyways back to the Sabres do you all not think Seattle would be better off with Borgen then Miller? Of course if Seattle takes Will then tries to send him to their AHL team he would have to clear waivers I believe and we could claim him back as we'd get first dibs (I also believe).  

I disagree with some of what you said here. But this is not the thread for that. You do you …

• Thanks (+1) 1