Gallant hired by the Rags

GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I would be very surprised if he declined to be interviewed.  

Why?  He knows the Sabres franchise has all kinds of questions.

Questions about its owners
Questions about its star player
Questions about its second best player
Questions about goaltending

If I were an established coach and other teams had expressed interest in me, I would politely decline the interview while I talked to teams in much better situations.

What's the upside for Gallant in joining the Sabres?  Why even consider it?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

The best candidate was behind the bench at the end of the season. Let's stop messing around and hire Granato. There are so many more important decisions to make this offseason. Mike the announcement that the Italian coach is the hire and continue on with the task of seeking out the best trade deals for Jack and Reinhart if it is determined that they want out. 

Granato is the obvious coaching selection and Power is the obvious first pick selection. Let's not get cute and outsmart oneself.  I am a member of the Granato-stan and Power-stand club. I will not yield. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Why?  He knows the Sabres franchise has all kinds of questions.

Questions about its owners
Questions about its star player
Questions about its second best player
Questions about goaltending

If I were an established coach and other teams had expressed interest in me, I would politely decline the interview while I talked to teams in much better situations.

What's the upside for Gallant in joining the Sabres?  Why even consider it?

I think there are very few coaches looking for HC jobs who turn down interviews.  Almost all of them want to work, especially for a deep pocketed owner, and even if other teams have shown interest, that’s not the same as having a job.

• Like (+1) 4

Here's an interesting tidbit from the NY Post:

Sources have told The Post that Gallant — who had also been interviewed for the post in Columbus — was offered and accepted the job without meeting Garden chairman Jim Dolan.

Could you imagine Terry & Kim not meeting a new head coach before hiring? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Granato is the obvious coaching selection and Power is the obvious first pick selection. Let's not get cute and outsmart oneself.  I am a member of the Granato-stan and Power-stand club. I will not yield. 

Oh I expect it'll be Granato and have said so for a while. It's not MY choice but I think it'll be the Sabres choice. It's easy, it's safe, and it's cheap. My guess is a 2 year deal. 

As for Power, that is my choice, but this franchise is dumb so who knows. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You know what? I realize I don't care who the coach is. 

I said something similar in the Coaching Search thread:

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I'm not very committal either way in my preference at this point.  Interview All The Coaches.  Pick one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.